Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof struggling to close

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Dean'o

Roof struggling to close

Post by Dean'o » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:39 pm

Hi all, back for some more invaluable advice. On me hols at mo when to close roof but it struggles to lift and now it won't attempt to close at all. Can hear motor for a few seconds. Windows operate as normal. Wonder if its low on hydraulic fluid. Any information much appreciated as always :D

Street

Roof struggling to close

Post by Street » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:13 pm

I would guess your roof motor is on its last legs. Has it been relocated or still tucked away?

The pump is self priming so low hydraulic would interrupt the close but I would expect it to have some movement.

How about if you close it manually and try and open it on the motor? If it opens but won’t close it might point to the pump and matrix.
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Target 300k miles
3.0si Coupe Sapphire Black Why have 1 when you could have 2!!

Serial Zed tinkerer. Always looking for the next Zed project :D

Dean'o

Roof struggling to close

Post by Dean'o » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:16 pm

It still in its original place. The roof attempted to lift a small way but now makes no movement at all.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof struggling to close

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:06 pm

Sadly, as with all these roof issues, you won't know until it's moved into the boot where you can see it.
Symptoms potentially point to low fluid, but if so, where has it gone?
Hopefully it's the pump as though it's a pain it's easier than changing a hose.
How far is Nottingham from Lincoln? I can feel a visit to Stuart (bigwinn) coming on for you. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dean'o

Roof struggling to close

Post by Dean'o » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi, thanks for reply. About an hour. Is he able to sort it.

Dean'o

Roof struggling to close

Post by Dean'o » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:41 pm

I can't seem to close it manually either. Not sure how to do it. I am in yorkshire Dales at mo

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof struggling to close

Post by bigwinn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:10 pm

I can help if needed
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Dean'o

Roof struggling to close

Post by Dean'o » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 pm

Yes please, I can't even put roof up manually. The red loop override doesn't seem to be working. Much appreciated thank you

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof struggling to close

Post by bigwinn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Dean'o wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:16 pm Yes please, I can't even put roof up manually. The red loop override doesn't seem to be working. Much appreciated thank you
PM’d you

EWS Delete PM me

SonnyA85

Roof struggling to close

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am

Dean'o wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:39 pm Hi all, back for some more invaluable advice. On me hols at mo when to close roof but it struggles to lift and now it won't attempt to close at all. Can hear motor for a few seconds. Windows operate as normal. Wonder if its low on hydraulic fluid. Any information much appreciated as always :D
Probably worth checking all the fuses just in case. It's likely not to be a fuse but it's an easy hassle free check to make.

The pump is likely submerged in water if it hasn't been re-located and will need to be soaked in diesel for a while.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof struggling to close

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am
Dean'o wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:39 pm Hi all, back for some more invaluable advice. On me hols at mo when to close roof but it struggles to lift and now it won't attempt to close at all. Can hear motor for a few seconds. Windows operate as normal. Wonder if its low on hydraulic fluid. Any information much appreciated as always :D
Probably worth checking all the fuses just in case. It's likely not to be a fuse but it's an easy hassle free check to make.

The pump is likely submerged in water if it hasn't been re-located and will need to be soaked in diesel for a while.
bigwinn, hope you've remembered all that? :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof struggling to close

Post by bigwinn » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:08 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:07 am
SonnyA85 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:53 am

bigwinn, hope you've remembered all that? :roll:
Got it!

EWS Delete PM me