Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker Cover Gasket

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
CoupeJ

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by CoupeJ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to get my rocker cover gasket changed on my car, looking a bit grimy and whilst it's not leaking properly, I like to look after my cars and similarly to the waterpump change I just had done, I'd like to get this changed too.

Upon inspection, it has a red cover but also appears to be metal. I've done a decent amount of research on the N52 engines and it seems they made some changes, and I wanted to know how this affects what I need to buy.

I have an 07 Coupe, with the silver engine cap which from what I can tell is the metal gasket with single use bolts to 9nm. I just wanted to know if the plastic and rubber seal (which surely makes less sense since this thing gets so hot) is what BMW suggested further down the line, or just get another Elring metal one?

I must admit, the rubber seal around the actual oil cap seems next to pointless and surely won't stop any oil coming out under pressure. I wanted to take the cap off by lining up the two arrows and pulling but it's literally going to snap by the looks of it. Assume in the past someone was a bit shaky on the oil as there's a smidge underneath, nothing dripping down the sides but it's still somewhere I'd like to clean if possible. Any ideas on how to get it off without worrying it'll snap?

I've been hurling questions at Bigwinn and I wanted to make a post to give the poor fella a rest haha!
Current:
Sapphire Black Coupe Auto

Never forgotten:
Fiat Coupe 20vt x2
E92 330D

Wanting:
Montego Blue Z4m

LemonConnoisseur

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:45 pm

Is your rocker cover the metal version? If so, you need the flat gasket. Like this: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/elring/988414 ... yoQAvD_BwE

The rubber gasket is designed to fit in the recess in the plastic rocker cover.

Also, as for the filler cap, I found the rubber section that sits under the cap to be pointless too. I replaced the cap with one off of an S54, but I believe the cap off the N54 also fits. :)

CoupeJ

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by CoupeJ » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:32 pm

I think so, the colour looks to be the same where I can see it. Am I right in thinking autodoc is going to result in some absurd import fees, looks like they ship from Germany but if you've ordered from there since Brexit trouble free I think I'll do the same.

And also if its mandatory to replace the bolts, why do they not bundle them with the gasket 😂

Thanks for the cap info too. Its not at the top of my list but good to know, more just looking at it today thinking what is it actually achieving haha.
Current:

Never forgotten:
Fiat Coupe 20vt x2
E92 330D

Wanting:
Montego Blue Z4m

LemonConnoisseur

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:33 am

Nope, in my experience anyway, I’ve never been charged import fees from AUTODOC. Literally ordered a massive box from them a couple of weeks ago.
The main issue people find is delivery times, but my last order came within a week of purchase, although it’s not always like that.

No idea about the bolts, but you can buy them from BMW. Not sure how much they are but I don’t think it’s extortionate :)

Z4Mariner

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:06 pm

I'm on the wrong side of the pond for advising you on vendors, but I would definitely replace the aluminum VC screws / bolts.

The aluminum prevents Galvanic corrosion, but if they're reused they may stress crack and break. Not necessarily catastrophe, but it might cause the leak you're working to prevent. I will be doing this job over the Winter months, since I have about 83K miles on my car and have noticed slight seepage at the oil cooler gasket. For me it will be the "same thing only different", since I did this job on my previous N52 with the plastic VC and the other VC gasket.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

CoupeJ

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by CoupeJ » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Thanks both for your input. I'll get the OEM parts ordered and wait for it to come.

It's probably one for when it's slightly colder in the year, it's not seeping at all I just had a look this afternoon after cleaning it up and taking it for a spirited 80 mile drive yesterday!
Current:

Never forgotten:
Fiat Coupe 20vt x2
E92 330D

Wanting:
Montego Blue Z4m