Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Roof Rattle

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Just to add to the flood of roof issues...

When I bought the Z4 a few years back I was surprised at just how quiet it was for a convertible.
I recall vaguely the salesman telling me they had a known issue with the 'catch' that clips the rear windscreen down to the car but he had 'fixed it'... something about padding it out or some tape or something like that.

Anyway - 2 years of silent convertible motoring and now...

A dreadful rattle has appeared at or about head height behind driver and passenger. I suspect its that central clip that holds the rear screen down.

I'd appreciate any clues, advice or indeed if anyone can confirm there is an easy fix to this 'known' problem?

For info, I inspected the clip yesterday and it did have some old pieces of black electrical insulating tape hanging off it - I wonder if that was the 'fix'?

Thanks for any advice.
2020-2023 E89 Z4 sDrive30iM Sport
2023-? G29 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport tech & comfort packs

Deepseaskateboard

New Roof Rattle

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:26 pm

McHaggis69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:02 pm Just to add to the flood of roof issues...

When I bought the Z4 a few years back I was surprised at just how quiet it was for a convertible.
I recall vaguely the salesman telling me they had a known issue with the 'catch' that clips the rear windscreen down to the car but he had 'fixed it'... something about padding it out or some tape or something like that.

Anyway - 2 years of silent convertible motoring and now...

A dreadful rattle has appeared at or about head height behind driver and passenger. I suspect its that central clip that holds the rear screen down.

I'd appreciate any clues, advice or indeed if anyone can confirm there is an easy fix to this 'known' problem?

For info, I inspected the clip yesterday and it did have some old pieces of black electrical insulating tape hanging off it - I wonder if that was the 'fix'?

Thanks for any advice.
It’s not an issue I have come across before.

In the short term, perhaps look to replace the tape.

Longer term, get on realoem and look up the part number.
Perhaps it’s not too difficult to replace it.

If it is too difficult, it’s probably a garage visit for a permanent fix, but I don’t think it would be too expensive.

Best to sort sooner than later, as you don’t want to damage the roof by it not being properly secured. They can be prohibitively expensive to fix.

Deepseaskateboard

New Roof Rattle

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 pm

I have just re-read this:

There are reports on here about the rear suspension springs snapping to make loud rattle.

Could be worth inspecting both to rule this out.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

New Roof Rattle

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 am

If the sound is like someone hitting a plastic lunch box.
Go to pound shop or Wilco.
Buy stick pads for furniture or hifi and stick one either side of the top face of wedge, that bit that rest on the black plastic hole.
Not on the sides of wedge as it's a tight clearance and will get stuck.

Busterboo

New Roof Rattle

Post by Busterboo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:04 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 pm There are reports on here about the rear suspension springs snapping to make loud rattle.
Could be worth inspecting both to rule this out.
Yep, a rear barrel spring - strong as it looks - can break and its rattle sounds as if it's behind the driver's/passenger's shoulder.
Vidi, vici, veni

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm

OK - I have the solution.

Took the roof half way down.
Tow layers of black electrical insulating tape across the latch that holds the rear screen down when the roof is up.

Back to happy, virtually silent Z4 convertible driving.

Thats it.
That was the fix.
Hard to believe BMW didn;t build in a bit of 'padding' around the linkage.

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:14 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 am If the sound is like someone hitting a plastic lunch box.
Go to pound shop or Wilco.
Buy stick pads for furniture or hifi and stick one either side of the top face of wedge, that bit that rest on the black plastic hole.
Not on the sides of wedge as it's a tight clearance and will get stuck.
This would probably work.
If the new layers of black tape come off (which they inevitably will) I will go for this fix thanks.

PointedMarlin

New Roof Rattle

Post by PointedMarlin » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 pm

McHaggis69 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm OK - I have the solution.

Tow layers of black electrical insulating tape across the latch that holds the rear screen down when the roof is up.

Thats it.
That was the fix.
I have noticed I have a bit of a rattle behind the passenger seat also

I can’t quite understand what the post I’ve quoted is getting at

Is it the Wind deflector that’s rattling or something else?

I’ve not looked into the rattle but it sounds similar to what’s being described in this thread

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

New Roof Rattle

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 pm

PointedMarlin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:49 pm
McHaggis69 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:12 pm OK - I have the solution.

Thats it.
That was the fix.
I have noticed I have a bit of a rattle behind the passenger seat also

I can’t quite understand what the post I’ve quoted is getting at

Is it the Wind deflector that’s rattling or something else?

I’ve not looked into the rattle but it sounds similar to what’s being described in this thread
Operate the roof & stop it when the rear window is sitting on the main roof section, you will now see the latch underneath the rear window which the thread is talking about.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

McHaggis69

New Roof Rattle

Post by McHaggis69 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Its not the wind deflector.

As noted, bring the roof halfway down and you’ll see in the centre below the rear windscreen a ‘peg’ or latch.
It fits very badly into the ‘hole’ in the black plastic section of the boot cover when the roof is up.

If you wrap the latch in a few layers of tape, it fist much more snugly and eliminates this particular rattle when the roof is up completely.

Busterboo

New Roof Rattle

Post by Busterboo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:20 pm

Have taped the 'spike'. It seems to have worked. :)

Used 25mm-wide Gorilla black tape from Tesco. Thicker than 'electrician's tape', one layer has done the job, I hope. Tried two, but that was too thick.

Keep boot tray down, too. Belt & braces.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

New Roof Rattle

Post by Busterboo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:48 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:20 pm Have taped the 'spike'. It seems to have worked. :)

Used 25mm-wide Gorilla black tape from Tesco. Thicker than 'electrician's tape', one layer has done the job, I hope. Tried two, but that was too thick.

Did 60 miles today. The tape worked.

If it needs replacing occasionally, the roll's 9 metres long. :)
Vidi, vici, veni

kunta

New Roof Rattle

Post by kunta » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:20 pm Have taped the 'spike'. It seems to have worked. :)

hi
can you take apicture/ of the the location of the tape????
t/ you

Busterboo

New Roof Rattle

Post by Busterboo » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:23 pm

kunta wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 am

hi
t/ you
With the roof up, stand behind the car. Press and keep the 'Open' button on the key fob pressed. As the rear window section opens, you will see there is a 'spike' at its middle. That's it. Simples.

Do this with the engine running and the rear window section will stay open at the point you stop pressing the 'Open' button. Then you can wrap the spike. (You can also clean the inside of the rear window while you're at it.) :)
Vidi, vici, veni

Vagueante

New Roof Rattle

Post by Vagueante » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:38 pm

Busterboo wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:23 pm
kunta wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 am

hi
t/ you
With the roof up, stand behind the car. Press and keep the 'Open' button on the key fob pressed. As the rear window section opens, you will see there is a 'spike' at its middle. That's it. Simples.

Do this with the engine running and the rear window section will stay open at the point you stop pressing the 'Open' button. Then you can wrap the spike. (You can also clean the inside of the rear window while you're at it.) :)
Check thead : https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=130411