Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

TPM / TPMS revisited

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Pondrew » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:03 am

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am We've got to remember that we have an old car with an even older entertainment system
Indeed. That's why my sat nav doesn't show motorway services, just farriers and coaching Inns. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:34 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:03 am
AnubisZed wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am We've got to remember that we have an old car with an even older entertainment system
Indeed. That's why my sat nav doesn't show motorway services, just farriers and coaching Inns. :D
:rofl:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

tonyg

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by tonyg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:48 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:25 am Sorry guys for the confusion :P

As far as the pressure reading on the screen remember this, the iDrive CIC system first came out in 2008 and finished in most cars in 2013 with the introduction of NBT, it's only the E89 that had it up to end of production in August 2016. No updates have been available since 2012 and even then nothing major was added. We've got to remember that we have an old car with an even older entertainment system :driving:
"Old car, old entertainment system," that's why it's so fully tested and so reliable :)

ThirdMLC

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by ThirdMLC » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:25 pm

Hi - I’ve got a related question on TPM / TPMS please:
Just got a 2010 Z4 sDrive 23i (without iDrive) which had some e46 (MV2) wheels fitted a few years ago. Despite having the correct tyre pressures all round and resetting the tyre setting on the dashboard display, it quickly reverts to a Red Tyre warning symbol after a few seconds. I’ve checked the user manual but it doesn’t explain what the red warning sign means:
Is it due to a lack of TPMS sensors in the older alloy wheels (assuming it’s a TPMS system) ?
or
A fault in the TPM (wheel rotation / ABS sensors etc) ?
Any help would be appreciated as I’m getting conflicting messages from local tyre fitters / alloy refurbishers.
Thanks in advance :D

PS. This is my first forum post, but will likely not be the last :wink:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:00 pm

Assuming you are UK you have tyre flat monitor not TPMS ..so it doesn’t matter what you stick in your wheels..it could be either a faulty sensor on one wheel and or badly mismatched tyres…what size tyres are you running on what wheels?

As usual a decent fault code reader that is good for bmw is your friend..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

ThirdMLC

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by ThirdMLC » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:20 am

Thanks B21.
Yes, it’s a UK car with original BMW MV2 alloys with 225/40/r18 front & 255/35/r18 rear, with correct pressures. I assume a previous owner (or dealer) replaced the original wheels, probably if they were 19” that seem prone to cracking. The MV2 alloys have normal rubber valves (not the large alloy valves) which suggests there are no sensors in any of the wheels…
Using a Launch Creader Elite (BMW edition) there are no fault codes reported, other than the AUC sensor (which I’ll change another time).
Therefore, as I”m about to replace the tyres (all 4 are different brands :cry:) I’ll get the tyre fitter to install some tyre pressure sensors - I’m going to give these a try as they claim to work on my car / year:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373134212744 ... media=COPY
Thanks again.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am

Since you don’t have the TPMS system there will be no benefit in adding TPMS sensors to the wheels…FWIW..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

matsmith749

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am

I tried this every which way under the sun - there is no way I have found to display the tyre pressures on CIC systems (which we all have on an e89 no matter the year).

You will see various options in the pro coding tools that look like they will ebnable it - they will not.

The images linked in this thread aren't even from an e89 or the CIC system which we have - more confusing than helpful IMHO.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:01 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am ...
The images linked in this thread aren't even from an e89...
I never said they were, they are indicative of the two screen views available on the E89.
matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am... or the CIC system which we have - more confusing than helpful IMHO.
They are both CIC vehicles, so are very helpful, especially in the context of which they were posted. I did also specifically state "just ignore the actual trye pressure readings on the screen as that's a special coding, not standard"
Dave

ThirdMLC

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by ThirdMLC » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:59 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am Since you don’t have the TPMS system there will be no benefit in adding TPMS sensors to the wheels
BMW have just verified via the VIN, that the car does have TPMS installed so will need sensors in each wheel. I’m going to give the Hamaton sensors (pre-configured for Z4 2010) a try to avoid paying >£70 per sensor from the dealer or the local tyre fitter… Will let you know how it goes either way :driving:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by Nictrix » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:17 pm

ThirdMLC wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:59 pm
B21 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:37 am Since you don’t have the TPMS system there will be no benefit in adding TPMS sensors to the wheels
BMW have just verified via the VIN, that the car does have TPMS installed so will need sensors in each wheel. I’m going to give the Hamaton sensors (pre-configured for Z4 2010) a try to avoid paying >£70 per sensor from the dealer or the local tyre fitter… Will let you know how it goes either way :driving:
I'm sure bmw are wrong and you will be buying sensors that do not work with your car.
They have maybe misunderstood what you have asked them. The car has a type of monitoring system but not one that requires sensors in each wheel.
Someone will correct me but I don't think sensors in the wheels came about until after 2012.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

matsmith749

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:14 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:01 pm
matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am ...
The images linked in this thread aren't even from an e89...
I never said they were, they are indicative of the two screen views available on the E89.
matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:07 am... or the CIC system which we have - more confusing than helpful IMHO.
They are both CIC vehicles, so are very helpful, especially in the context of which they were posted. I did also specifically state "just ignore the actual trye pressure readings on the screen as that's a special coding, not standard"
I disagree.

There is no 'special coding' to make these tyre pressure values appear on the e89 display screens - it just doesn't do it.

I get it that you are the font of all knowledge etc, but seeing your pics & the words needed special coding immediately gave me the impression I had missed something that was possible.

Hence not helpful / misleading.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras

B21
Lifer
Lifer

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by B21 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:10 pm

If you tip the vin into a decoder and see S2VBA you have TPMS..if not you have FTM flat tyre monitor

It’s possible to retrofit TPMS but I think it would a world first..

Realoem suggests TPMS was fitted as standard from March 2014 in Europe..

AnubisZed

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:18 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:14 pm I disagree.

There is no 'special coding' to make these tyre pressure values appear on the e89 display screens - it just doesn't do it.

I get it that you are the font of all knowledge etc, but seeing your pics & the words needed special coding immediately gave me the impression I had missed something that was possible.

Hence not helpful / misleading.
1) I never said there was special coding for the E89, in fact if you'd read my reply post a few down I actually tell another member exactly that and why!

2) I'm not the font of all knowledge, never thought I was, never will. But I do do a hell of a lot of research for the things I do, I read on multiple owners sites and other places as well as personal testing where required before I do something solid, and before I impart that knowledge to others. The point being that I'll read something and then if it looks like something I want to do I'll then research it completely before trying it myself, ie I read up ALL information I can find on the subject.
If you've read one post and not looked into it properly then that's your fault, do not say I've put something on that is misleading when in reality if you'd read everything pertaining to it in the first place you'd have seen I expanded on it later to say its for the NBT system (technically its actually not NBT its F series CIC which was a separate system to the E series CIC but is not compatible and was in fact the NBT but without the updated graphics).The photo was indicative only to represent the TPMS system compared to the FTM system and not the individual tyre pressure readings shown, and is special coding on the later system and not standard.

There is no wonder that some owners that have knowledge stop helping others and go silent when this is what you get for helping out. :thumbsdown:
Dave

matsmith749

TPM / TPMS revisited

Post by matsmith749 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 pm

I'm not going into battle - not got time for that Dave.

I'm just saying it as I see it. I understand you disagree, and that's ok.

I'm not going to reciprocate your blaming & acusations - life is too short.

Peace - out.