Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:26 am

Good morning all
Hopefully someone can put me on the money here please. So much about the roof problems on here I don’t know where to start looking. So …. Roof opened fine .got to work and tried shutting it . Boot opened, main roof came up and into position. Back window and frame moved a bit , then everything stopped , dong and flashing light on the button . I guess I need a code reader . But … is there an override on the boot ?? Boot won’t open and windows are all staying open too , appreciate any help you might be able to give on this

obewan

Roof problem

Post by obewan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 am

I've had a similar issue. I found that blipping the throttle and pressing the roof close button at the same time got it closed. As did a slow drive down the road the next time it happened. :roll:
This made me think bad connection somewhere. It turned out to be a bad connection (not broken wire thankfully) in the LHS roof section
When the roof was half open I went round all the connections I could find just squeezing them together. I never actually felt any of them move, but it's been fine now for about 18 months.
Good luck
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:13 am

Thanks
That’s a good observation 👍 I’ve managed to secure the roof shut . The back window panel wasn’t locked into place, it had dropped into position as the fluid pressure dropped.
Which means no wint shut and no boot access. But …and this is for others if it’s not been covered . By having engine on , and someone on each corner of the rear window frame, gently push it the lock . It completed the circuit and allowed boot access and windows to shut. Unfortunately I can’t get any further than that with it . It will only release the back window fram lock and lift a few inches. Not enough to give me access to the wires you mentioned. I’ll pinch a code reader from someone and see what comes up .appreciate your help, hopefully my bit of information is helpful to someone also 👍

RobbiZ4

Roof problem

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:20 am

A broken wire in one of the two upper bows in the rear roof shell, nothing else.
Dave 2 dogs wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:13 am ...By having engine on , and someone on each corner of the rear window frame, gently push it the lock . It completed the circuit and allowed boot access and windows to shut...
That is not a general solution or recommendation.
The broken wire get's back in contact with it's counterpart when the roof shell lowers. There is no other magic or vodoo to fight against!
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:01 am

Thanks robbiez4
Does anyone know if it’s ok to manually lift the rear window section ( one person each side )? To allow access ti the wires and relays/ micro switches?

RobbiZ4

Roof problem

Post by RobbiZ4 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:11 am

That's only possible, if you are able to release the front brass valve on top of the hydraulic pump. Maximum 2 turns, it is NOT a screw!

The relays are mounted next to the pump, not in the roof shell! Better to get in contact with somebody, who has a better knowledge of the roof!
It is not a DIY playground.

⌛E89: Retractable Hardtop (roof) Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm

Thanks Robbie
I’m taking it to Bmw tomorrow, though it might be a while before they can have a look 👍

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Dave 2 dogs wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 pm Thanks Robbie
I’m taking it to Bmw tomorrow, though it might be a while before they can have a look 👍
May not be the best place to go, most would recommend a good indie rather than BMW to work on an e89 roof issue
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:07 am

If you have the roof locked as normal, open boot and slide a screwdriver into the two boot latches to put them in normal locked position.
The system then thinks boot is locked.
I always tie a rag around the rings it normally locks on to stop accidental locking.
Then open roof as far as it will go.
Lift boot and dump the pressure on the brass valve, wait about 30 seconds, then i lift the rear shell onto a card board box to support to gain access to wiring.
20220620_110229.jpg
20220620_110229.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 380 times
You might need to remove the cabin roof liner.
Pull off the rubber above the door glass on the roof and slide hand in gap to gentle push liner off it's clips.
20220620_110238.jpg
20220620_110238.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 380 times
I didn't want hassle with boot in future so did this mod.
viewtopic.php?t=136430

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:49 pm

Thanks all
It’s in with bmw now
So I’ll have to roll with it
I’m not taking it just anywhere
And I can’t get a decent recommendation near to me .
Ross would have been my first shout but he was on holiday last week and I’m just pissed at trying to get it sorted
My local ( Indy ) who I’ve been using was completely trying to blag me on what he knows about them . I just threw it at bmw on Friday
Appreciate your help though everyone 👍

Dave 2 dogs

Roof problem

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:41 pm

Update on the car
The car will be going to BMW FAIRFIELD Leigh on sea from this moment onwards. Under the care of service manager
DAVE LUCKIN …. I have to say . When the roof failed I was lost . As to where to take it . Reluctantly took it the Fairfield because I had no other options with the roof jammed in an un serviceable position as far as I could see
I couldn’t get a recommendation from someone who had used an Indi for roof work close to me . I called BMW and spoke to a very helpful young lady .
She said the earliest date was 23 rd of August… I explained the car was not secure.
I was then told to bring it in the next morning ( I left it in the garage at work for one night)
I was introduced to Dave , he was just so helpful.
He said he would keep the car inside until they had a good chance to look at it . With a possible chance late this week ( (I took the car in Friday afternoon last week.) I wasn’t expecting to hear anything this week at all to be honest. But was glad she was under cover . I got a call from Dave on Tuesday with a damage report and price for the work…
He then called me yesterday to say she was ready to pick up . I’m absolutely blown away with Dave and he’s team . I felt very confident in their hands at all times… and I thought the bill was reasonable too , considering the horror stories I have heard for roof fails . Not a great experience having the roof go … but out of that comes the satisfaction of meeting Dave and having the personal touch with him means I won’t hesitate to go back there in the future MASSIVE THANKS TO DAVE LUCKIN and all he’s team 👍