Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing broken plastic on convertible roof inside cabin

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:23 am

Our aging E85’s are often suffering from fatigued plastics, which are breaking apart. My convertible roof plastic parts (inside the car) have degraded to the point that I bought a new Center cover part number 54-34-7-016-892 and a new front cover part number 54-31-7-056-282. $400 later, I’m trying to put the new front cover on the interior roof, where it meets up with the windshield frame when closed.

My current roadblock is the broken plastic screw backings, (pics 4 and 5) which the front cover screws onto (see screw holes circled in green). I found some metal V shaped screw backers (pic 3) that would be an upgrade over the plastic screw backers from BMW. However, I need more room over the area marked in red in the pics, in order to insert the new metal screw backers in place.

How do I loosen the part circled in blue? The screws in yellow made no difference- the blue part didn’t move.

Help!

2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:33 pm

Anybody? Bueller?
Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:12 am

I think the bit you've circled in blue is the structural part of the roof front, so wont move. You can access the claw from the top by removing the fabric and peeling it back over the front, but I cant really see why you need to do that, just to resecure the front plastic trim.
I can however, advise that there are two very small screws holding that front cowl on and they are located on the side of the roof. You'll need to drop the roof about half way down to expose them. Youll see them as the 'scissor' mechanism unfolds.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:59 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:12 am I think the bit you've circled in blue is the structural part of the roof front, so wont move. You can access the claw from the top by removing the fabric and peeling it back over the front, but I cant really see why you need to do that, just to resecure the front plastic trim.
I can however, advise that there are two very small screws holding that front cowl on and they are located on the side of the roof. You'll need to drop the roof about half way down to expose them. Youll see them as the 'scissor' mechanism unfolds.
Thanks for the details on the roof structure. I thought I was missing something when I couldn't get it to move.

All of the front plastic screw backings are broken, (see pics 4 and 5) as this is a stress point for holding on the large plastic front cover. I wanted to upgrade the screw backing with metal screw backs. It’s what bmw should have done in the first place. I guess I can order new plastic screw backs for $32 and install those. I love my car, but I hate BMW. Their build quality is garbage compared to Toyota.

Again, thanks for your reply.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:01 am

Update: I removed 1/2 of the metal “v” on the larger opening side, and managed to get that remaining half into the narrow opening I mentioned above. The plastic front cover that extends across the interior roof from door to door is now screwed into metal hangers, Instead of brittle bmw plastic. I think I’ve improved it over OEM. Regardless, I have a working bonnet and can now drive the car in other that sunny weather.