Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What Z4 to buy?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Wozza in Kent

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Wozza in Kent » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 am

Hi guys, I’ve decided it’s time to swap my 2005 Volvo C70 convertible for a Z4.
I have approximately £4000 to spend.
What’s the best I can hope to get for my money (engine/spec/mileage/age etc?
Thanks.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 am

Hello and welcome, I don’t know if you’ve been browsing the cars for sale section but that’ll give you a pretty good idea of what you’ll get for around your budget. Spec and condition is probably most important for the money you’re looking at :thumbsup:

£4K should see you in a reasonably sorted early 3.0

For sale link incase you haven’t discovered it yet, good luck with your search :D

viewforum.php?f=41

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

SonnyA85

What Z4 to buy?

Post by SonnyA85 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:12 am

Age doesn't matter now and neither does mileage. The cars are so old that the difference of 1-2 years on a 20 year old car is literally nothing in terms of value.

Mileage again there was a car posted here recently with low mileage 50k that had gone 5-6 years without an oil change. If you want your engine to last forever then it should be done every 6 months, if you are just wanting it to last as long as reasonably possible then once every year. Mileage also matters if you are doing 30K miles a year then you need to be doing services more regularly.

Spec - This appears to be random on a lot of cars. Things you want to look out for are;

DSP Carver Audio - very high end this is probably worth £1500 in parts the amp goes for silly money
    M Sport Seats - worth £600+
    Alloys - 18" various types are sought after but 224's are probably the most sought after as they are M wheels, after that there is a few but they vary in price wildly from £200 - £800

I don't think anything else is a must as they can easily be upgraded yourself for not much, cupholders are £20 off amazon as an example. Cruise control can be done too for around £150.

Engine - You want a the 3 litre, the M54 is probably more reliable overall as it doesn't have the water pump issues of the N52. But at 20 years old all engines will have their issues at some point. VANOS, chain guides, DISA, etc.

Automatic or Manual - No real difference but I feel manuals are possibly worth more (more sought after). Nothing wrong with the auto though.

The most important thing will be the service history. That is really what you are paying for. You want one that's been serviced to a high standard and yearly if possible. You could find a car with great spec, great mileage but if it's been serviced once every 5 years then it's likely going to cost you more to keep it going.

Roof motor - Needs to be relocated to the boot
    Power Steering - Failures are extremely common especially at this age, if it hasn't failed previously it won't be too long before it does on the pre-facelift cars. I have had to do mine twice now. First was a second hand unit I replaced it with, second time I got ecu testing to fix it with a lifetime warranty.

Suspension - see when it was last replaced this is a large expensive job, front and back and if it hasn't been done in the last 6 years it's probably due.

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

What Z4 to buy?

Post by buzyg » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum. :) As said an early 3ltr E85 should be doable. Worth considering that prices should ease a little in the autumn. That said, the summer is when you can get the most fun out of the car. :driving:

Zedebee
    Lifer
    Lifer

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Zedebee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Demand is on the floor at the moment, so I think it’s a good time to buy. Get the best condition you get afford. The 2.5i is the value sweet spot and plenty of fun, although the 3.0i is more sought after. To add to what Sonny said, it’s worth looking out for bi-xenon headlights as the halogens aren’t very good. I disagree about servicing though; in a low mileage application changing the oil every 6 months won’t confer any benefit over servicing every two years so long as the engine is in good condition to start with and the oil is checked regularly.
    2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
    Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I think just about everything has been covered already, but you might want to add heated seats to your wishlist!

And depending on how you plan to use the car the only pre-facelift manual model that had a 6 speed gearbox was the 3.0i - the others only had 5 speeds.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

wiseguy

What Z4 to buy?

Post by wiseguy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:33 am

Wozza in Kent, I would recommend NOT getting a car with xenon headlights. They look great but they have been the biggest repeating headache on my z4. Go for halogens. Your wallet and blood pressure will thank me.

Have the car you like inspected by your own mechanic, inside and out, including a diagnostic test. All that costs $150 or less in the US and is well worth it to avoid a money pit. One Common fault on Z4s is the hydraulic pump on the power roof (expensive to have repaired).so make sure it works if it is a power roof and make darn sure the tiny drain hole near the hydraulic motor is cleared every six months, as it clogs very easily and will ruin the hydraulic pump.
    2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
    stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
    Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

wiseguy

What Z4 to buy?

Post by wiseguy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:38 am

Zedebee wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:30 pm Demand is on the floor at the moment, so I think it’s a good time to buy. Get the best condition you get afford. The 2.5i is the value sweet spot and plenty of fun, although the 3.0i is more sought after. To add to what Sonny said, it’s worth looking out for bi-xenon headlights as the halogens aren’t very good. I disagree about servicing though; in a low mileage application changing the oil every 6 months won’t confer any benefit over servicing every two years so long as the engine is in good condition to start with and the oil is checked regularly.
    Funny, I gave the opposite advice re: xenon’s. :rofl: Those “lifetime” xenon bulbs have failed me many, many times and cost $100 per bulb. Then there’s the big voltage box ( the proper name escapes me) that powers the xenon’s. The part costs $500 last time I checked. Ive gone through 2. I would avoid xenon and go halogen, then use a whiter temperature bulb. You can then avoid frequent headlight burnout at inconvenient times.
    2007 3.0SI Roadster leather/auto/Carver-Logic7
    stereo system/xenons/sport/108s/ LeatherZ MK4 armrest/ Ultimate
    Cupholders/ GROM BMW Mini 98-06 trunk USB Android iPhone car integration adapter kit

R.I.P. Dice Mediabridge 1500. 2010-2023.

Zedebee
    Lifer
    Lifer

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Zedebee » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am

wiseguy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:38 am
    Zedebee wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:30 pm Demand is on the floor at the moment, so I think it’s a good time to buy. Get the best condition you get afford. The 2.5i is the value sweet spot and plenty of fun, although the 3.0i is more sought after. To add to what Sonny said, it’s worth looking out for bi-xenon headlights as the halogens aren’t very good. I disagree about servicing though; in a low mileage application changing the oil every 6 months won’t confer any benefit over servicing every two years so long as the engine is in good condition to start with and the oil is checked regularly.
    Funny, I gave the opposite advice re: xenon’s. :rofl: Those “lifetime” xenon bulbs have failed me many, many times and cost $100 per bulb. Then there’s the big voltage box ( the proper name escapes me) that powers the xenon’s. The part costs $500 last time I checked. Ive gone through 2. I would avoid xenon and go halogen, then use a whiter temperature bulb. You can then avoid frequent headlight burnout at inconvenient times.
    You are probably right. I wasn’t aware that there was a reliability issue with the xenons, I just know the performance of the halogens is not great. There are aftermarket upgrade options, notably 2Xcite in the UK.
    2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
    Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:04 pm

My first Z4 had the Xenons and I didn't have to change a bulb in them in the 2 years I had it.

My current one also has them and one bulb was failing when I got the car. I bought a pair of Osram bulbs that got fitted in March 2020 and they are still working fine.

Sometimes I guess it's just the luck of the draw! They are certainly noticeably brighter than the Halogens my 2nd Z4 had. :D
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

earthdweller

What Z4 to buy?

Post by earthdweller » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 am

Zedebee wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:10 am
    wiseguy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:38 am
    You are probably right. I wasn’t aware that there was a reliability issue with the xenons, I just know the performance of the halogens is not great. There are aftermarket upgrade options, notably 2Xcite in the UK.
    The halogens are great at night …. Just so long as you know the road and don’t need to see where it goes

:driving: :rofl: :thumbsup:
    07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:18 pm

earthdweller wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 am halogens are great at night …. Just so long as you know the road and don’t need to see where it goes
    Or they follow your lead and are at the bar by the time it gets dark :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Sticks

What Z4 to buy?

Post by Sticks » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:12 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:04 pm My first Z4 had the Xenons and I didn't have to change a bulb in them in the 2 years I had it.

My current one also has them and one bulb was failing when I got the car. I bought a pair of Osram bulbs that got fitted in March 2020 and they are still working fine.

Sometimes I guess it's just the luck of the draw! They are certainly noticeably brighter than the Halogens my 2nd Z4 had. :D
      Mine are 18 years old now - famous last words etc.

Imho OP, just go for the one you can find which has been cared for the most, rather than must have one thing or another. That being said, the 3.0 comes with the most options as standard, and if there's one thing I regret not getting it's sports seats.
      3.0 SE Auto, Sapphire Black, Elipsoids, Xenons, Sat Nav, BT, Cruise, MFSW, 6CD, non-rfts.

sw4nny

What Z4 to buy?

Post by sw4nny » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:18 pm

Sticks wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:12 pm
      Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:04 pm My first Z4 had the Xenons and I didn't have to change a bulb in them in the 2 years I had it.

Mine are 18 years old now - famous last words etc.

Imho OP, just go for the one you can find which has been cared for the most, rather than must have one thing or another. That being said, the 3.0 comes with the most options as standard, and if there's one thing I regret not getting it's sports seats.
      I concur with this, the standard seats do not hug you enough especially when your doing more spirited driving.
      E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten