Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CD INTERCHANGER required

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Miltonjohn

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by Miltonjohn » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:12 pm

MY 6 cd interchange has given up the GHOST. Can Anyone advise how to remove the old one & the model No of the new device.

Thanks

rdgreen

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by rdgreen » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:53 pm

You need to disassemble 2/3 of the rear interior to remove/replace it. Very common problem and most get around it by leaving it in place and adding a GROM unit or something equivalent (plugs into the rear of the radio head unit). Then you aren't restricted to just the music 6 cd's can carry. I can run over 1,000 tunes on a USB, or unlimited on Bluetooth.
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

SonnyA85

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by SonnyA85 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:39 am

I have one in my car but it's a pain to remove. If you are near Glasgow you can have it for free if you remove it without damaging anything on my car. I have been wanting it removed for ages but not wanting to tackle it myself or pay someone else to do it as it is a pain to do.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am

Takes an hour or two to remove although I did it with one seat out which makes life a whole lot easier (probably because I'm a creaky old git)
Do you have satnav too? The DVD player makes it a tad more fiddly, but not much.
Whereabouts are you?
If you are anywhere near me and can find a replacement one then I'm happy to swap it over for you.
I don't take Sterling, Euros or Dollars. All transactions in Adnams :D

Your other option is to remove it (as I did) and fit a Bluemusic adaptor which connects to the CD changer plug and allows you to play music from your phone. I believe there is also a new version of that with a microphone on a long lead so you can use it handsfree as well?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:49 am

Just looked at Realoem at it gives a couple of different part numbers, saying they're not all changeable retrospectively.
What model and age is your car?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 5126913390

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Miltonjohn

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by Miltonjohn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:57 pm

many thanks for the advice on this. It sounds like a pain to remove!! I like the sounds of removing the radio & plugging in a GROM (never heard of this) or a Bluemusic adaptor. I'll take a look on Google unless anyone can give some pointers please.
I'm about as technical as a paper clip so keen to learn!! Thanks all.

Miltonjohn

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by Miltonjohn » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:49 am Just looked at Realoem at it gives a couple of different part numbers, saying they're not all changeable retrospectively.
What model and age is your car?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 5126913390
Its a 2007 2.5si. Many thanks

rdgreen

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by rdgreen » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:52 am

For the GROM which appears to be the most popular conversion.
https://gromaudio.com/installs/bmw-z4-2 ... video.html

Have look on ebay for a bluetooth adaptor. The only difficult part is removing the vents to get to the radio without damaging the surrounds. Can't find the one I used on ebay but they are all ridiculously cheap.
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:28 am

Miltonjohn wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:57 pm many thanks for the advice on this. It sounds like a pain to remove!! I like the sounds of removing the radio & plugging in a GROM (never heard of this) or a Bluemusic adaptor. I'll take a look on Google unless anyone can give some pointers please.
I assume you're not near enough to me then or I'd happily remove it for you.

Miltonjohn

CD INTERCHANGER required

Post by Miltonjohn » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:16 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:28 am
Miltonjohn wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:57 pm many thanks for the advice on this. It sounds like a pain to remove!! I like the sounds of removing the radio & plugging in a GROM (never heard of this) or a Bluemusic adaptor. I'll take a look on Google unless anyone can give some pointers please.
I assume you're not near enough to me then or I'd happily remove it for you.
Many thanks indeed for the offer. I'm down in Somerset unfortunately so not close enough I'm afraid.