Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Host of issues and wont start...

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Recently acquired a more practical car to go along side the Zed (2011 4.4 RR) and I can only imagine my little Zed has become jealous and throwing a tantrum... :headbang:

Went to start her today to go on a nice drive and have been greeted by a load of issues... If anyone has any tips or advice, it would be appreciated! :thumbsup:

Battery was dead to start with - normally I have her on a trickle charger but I had forgotten. So I had to get into her with the manual key, after the alarm going off and stopping that with putting the key in the ignition she woke up but immediately showed a few errors:
Parking Break fault
Restraint system Fault
Airbag fault
I've had a dead battery with her before (I have replaced recently) so I just assumed I would try the boot and plug the trickle in and be good to go after a while... WRONG.
I also have my roof button flashing Red and when lifting the boot open, it opens a couple cm, then closes again.
Right, scratch the trickle, lets get the RR and jump start her. All going well, except after waiting a while I try to spark her up, nothing, zilch, nadda... not even an attempt from the starter motor. This process repeats for about 30min all the while checking the connection, plugging in Carly (to no avail).
Key in, key out, press start, nothing. Cant unlock the passenger door either to get at the fuse box either.

Ive since come back inside mildly frustrated at myself and the car.. :headbang:
Anyone experience something similar and have some tips, or those who have better knowhow than myself?
Next step if I can't fix the issues is getting breakdown recovery out...

Any help apprecaited! :thumbsup:
Silver E89 Sdrive30I Msport. Black roof and other bits. :D :driving:

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:25 pm

Sounds like the battery is knackered.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:31 pm

If the battery has completely discharged, it could be dead.

If your charger has a recondition mode on it, now could be the time, but this may require some further research.

All of the issues seem like they could relate from a dead battery. The epb may also require a software update even if the battery is replaced.

Good luck!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Are you charging the battery via the points under the bonnet or directly on to the battery in the boot?

If you are doing directly to the battery, charging and jumping should both be done from the points under the bonnet in an E89 :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 pm

I’d say the battery has probably had it, did you try opening the boot while you had the jump leads on?’
    Try putting it on charge over night and see if you can access the boot tomorrow, the problem trying to start the car with a duff battery from jump leads is it just sucks all the current not leaving anything to turn the car over.
    As said a new battery will probably sort most of the problems but the EPB will need recoding/software update.
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:08 pm

Thanks for the input gents, I had assumed that a new battery was in need. Just need to get access to the blasted thing now!
    I will try and get some charge into it overnight as see if there is any change tomorrow.

On the battery access, I don't suppose there is any way I can manually open this? Previously when I had an issue it was a dead end... I do have the ski hatch access, but what I'm supposed to do with that, if anything is beyond me!

Cheers,
    M

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:08 pm I do have the ski hatch access, but what I'm supposed to do with that, if anything is beyond me!
    Leprechaun on small set of skis?
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:47 pm

If you have access to the cabin and can open the bonnet attach the jump leads there and then (if I can remember right) use the boot open button on the key fob or press the central locking button twice on the dash. Years ago I disconnected the battery and then accidentally shut the boot! the above is what I did, it allowed enough power to the switch panel/locks to operate and open the boot.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:55 pm

Chippie wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 pm I’d say the battery has probably had it, did you try opening the boot while you had the jump leads on?’
    Try putting it on charge over night and see if you can access the boot tomorrow, the problem trying to start the car with a duff battery from jump leads is it just sucks all the current not leaving anything to turn the car over.
    As said a new battery will probably sort most of the problems but the EPB will need recoding/software update.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

peeblezZ4

Post by peeblezZ4 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm

I had similar issues while 'on the move' in the car. Alternator failed so battery drained right down. Although my battery was 9 years old, (Original battery in a 13 plate Z4) when it had a good run after the alternator was replaced, it charged itself back up fully so you never know. Your battery might be fine so I'd get it checked before rushing out to buy a new one.
    Current - '10 Sapphire E89 3.0 Manual M-Sport
    Previous:
    '12 Space Grey 640i Auto SE Cab :? Sold March '24
    '11 E89 Sapphire 35i auto M-Sport :heat: Sold August '23
    '13 E89 Valencia 2.0 auto M-Sport :?
    '03 E85 Titanium 2.5i auto :?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:44 am

I'd say we need some photos of the "2011 4.4 RR".
    Vidi, vici, veni

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 pm

After some time apart... and a trickle charger to the bonnet connecter I was able to get the boot open and get at the battery. Switched my CTEK to recondition, left her for a few hours and bang, starts up first try.
    Took her out for a spirited drive to make sure none of the errors were permanent and was good news :driving:

Issue is now the battery, going to look at replacing but pretty convinced I have a slow drain somewhere so now got to try find that...
    But thanks for the help!

Marekdawg

Post by Marekdawg » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:22 pm

Busterboo wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:44 am I'd say we need some photos of the "2011 4.4 RR".
    Happy to oblige! Needed a bigger with the distance / needs for work, she fit the bill and a bit of a steal IMO.
    Not had the opportunity yet to get any decent photos, but will get there.

Trying to fight the urge to start messing with it as its supposed to be the work horse, see how long that lasts... :fuelfire:
    Attachments
    w.jpg
    w.jpg (244.78 KiB) Viewed 339 times
    t.jpg
    t.jpg (304.89 KiB) Viewed 339 times
    r.jpg
    r.jpg (233.27 KiB) Viewed 339 times
    e.jpg
    e.jpg (289.1 KiB) Viewed 339 times

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:42 pm

Marekdawg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:13 pm After some time apart... and a trickle charger to the bonnet connecter I was able to get the boot open and get at the battery. Switched my CTEK to recondition, left her for a few hours and bang, starts up first try.
    Took her out for a spirited drive to make sure none of the errors were permanent and was good news :driving:

Issue is now the battery, going to look at replacing but pretty convinced I have a slow drain somewhere so now got to try find that...
    But thanks for the help!
    There was a well known bug where a screwed up Bluetooth connection would stop the car going to sleep and running the battery flat..

Ditto there is a comfort access version of the same sort of error..

A decent code reader may flag a DME error related to this ..
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 pm

Good to hear you now have it running again with no faults and nice photos of the RR and Z4 👍
    E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather