Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Train drivers striking over pay

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:29 pm

I’m currently hurtling towards London Euston at 125mph on a Avanti Pendolino train. Do I think Train Drivers deserve there salary and a decent pay rise? Absolutely I do, if they f*#k up its there life and the lives of the 250+ passengers at risk. Privatisation of the Rail Industry was the cause of significant salary increases in the industry and before privatisation pay was poor, that’s why they had fantastic final salary pensions and free rail travel.
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:02 pm
I wouldn't knock the train drivers, good luck to them I say, get as much pay as you can and if that means striking so be it.

Tim.
You do realise the consequences of that? Every pay rise for them means the ticket price goes up, less money for safety as they call it, less money for investment and we all have to pay for their greed.

As for the suicide side - think for a moment what firemen see, what nurses see and what the police see on a daily basis or what the general public see during accidents and jumpers from motorway bridges.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:00 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm
I wouldn't knock the train drivers, good luck to them I say, get as much pay as you can and if that means striking so be it.

Tim.
You do realise the consequences of that? Every pay rise for them means the ticket price goes up, less money for safety as they call it, less money for investment and we all have to pay for their greed.

As for the suicide side - think for a moment what firemen see, what nurses see and what the police see on a daily basis or what the general public see during accidents and jumpers from motorway bridges.
I think you need to calm down, you’ll end up with ulcers & won’t enjoy your retirement otherwise :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:43 pm

pvr wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm

Tim.

Would you say the average 48k salary of a train driver is a good wage?

End of the day whether it's rail fares, food, fuel everything is going up. I just don't blame workers wanting to keep pace with the standard of living.

Compared now to say a premier league footballer on obscene money for running round a pitch it puts it into perspective.

Tim.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:50 pm

Ian J wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:31 am
pvr wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:06 am It is actually worse than I thought:

9 months training, 5.5 weeks holiday and the gold plated pension whilst working part time.
I shall suggest to my wife that she packs in nursing and learns to drive a train instead as there seems to be far more money in it
Will she be ok reversing a train into a parking space?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:01 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am

9 months training, 5.5 weeks holiday and the gold plated pension whilst working part time.
I would have worked in the public sector for free, just for the pension TBH.
Too late for me, though, after working for 38 years and getting the lofty employer's contributions of zero. People who think the self-employed are all well off have no idea.
Luckily I'm not bitter! :wink:
I can confirm that working in the public sector has its advantages having had two careers spanning 47 years and currently on a third. Whilst I have always received less than a salary I could have earned in the private sector, these inflation proof pensions are a godsend and easily compensate for any reduced salary over the years.

These pensions are either not available to the private sector or are waaaaay to expensive. Looking forward to an annual rise this year of whatever the inflation rate is on 1 September, for the two which I am in receipt of. These pensions are rarely taken into account when public sector employees are looking for pay rises.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:43 pm

Nanu wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:01 pm I can confirm that working in the public sector has its advantages having had two careers spanning 47 years and currently on a third. Whilst I have always received less than a salary I could have earned in the private sector, these inflation proof pensions are a godsend and easily compensate for any reduced salary over the years.

These pensions are either not available to the private sector or are waaaaay to expensive. Looking forward to an annual rise this year of whatever the inflation rate is on 1 September, for the two which I am in receipt of. These pensions are rarely taken into account when public sector employees are looking for pay rises.
Wow, Nanu. A civil servant who realises how lucky they are. You are one-of-a-kind, Sir. :thumbsup:

Could you give ASLEF a call for us? :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:43 pm
Nanu wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:01 pm I can confirm that working in the public sector has its advantages having had two careers spanning 47 years and currently on a third. Whilst I have always received less than a salary I could have earned in the private sector, these inflation proof pensions are a godsend and easily compensate for any reduced salary over the years.

Wow, Nanu. A civil servant who realises how lucky they are. You are one-of-a-kind, Sir. :thumbsup:

Could you give ASLEF a call for us? :)
Although i wasn’t a train driver (i was a higher grade than those guys) i worked for London Underground for almost 2 decades & retired just after my 53rd birthday.
I couldn’t have retired at that age working anywhere else, i know how lucky i am.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:03 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:43 pm Could you give ASLEF a call for us? :)
The Lion from Narnia?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:54 pm I couldn’t have retired at that age working anywhere else, i know how lucky i am.
Could you give ASLEF a call aswell then please Rob? :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:48 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:54 pm I couldn’t have retired at that age working anywhere else, i know how lucky i am.
Could you give ASLEF a call aswell then please Rob? :D
I was always an RMT man, those guys don’t like each other very much :roll:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:58 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:03 pm The Lion from Narnia?
I had to Google that, as I never read the book, or saw the film. Too busy working unfortunately. :D :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:38 am

I would have worked in the public sector for free, just for the pension TBH.
Too late for me, though, after working for 38 years and getting the lofty employer's contributions of zero. People who think the self-employed are all well off have no idea.
Luckily I'm not bitter! :wink:
Ditto
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

rdgreen

Post by rdgreen » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:19 am

Always interesting to see other perspectives. I worked in the car industry, in Engineering. Several people in my group received twice the usual pay for the same job. Almost without exception they were divorced as they spent so much time at work their family's no longer knew who they were. So, would it be correct to suggest that the levels of pay referred to is for a 'standard' (no overtime) working week? Doubtful. It's really easy to create division when it's inferred that someone is getting a 'free ride'. Look at the jealousy raised on this issue for example. 60k a year for a standard working week, good money.....if true.
Sterling Grey 2004 e85 3.0i manual.

Ian J

Post by Ian J » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:34 am

Scubaregs wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:50 pm
Will she be ok reversing a train into a parking space?
:rofl: