Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strut help. Can't figure out what part it is

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:40 pm

So I was working on something unrelated and noticed a small pin/screw was missing from passenger side strut. Upon closer inspection I also noticed the rubber was cracking and the whole strut seems to be misaligned.

So my 2 questions are:
1. What is the pin I'm missing (circled in red below)?

2. Is this rubber a part of the top support mount meaning I need a new one to prevent the whole thing flying through my bonnet one day? Crack shown in green below.
Attachments
IMG_20220727_143728.jpg
IMG_20220727_143728.jpg (280.89 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm

1. The pin you are missing is a camber alignment pin. They are often removed to adjust the camber which is not possible with the pin in place. This is also why it looks as though your strut is misaligned. Its not, its just had more positive camber added.

2. Yes, 100%! This is a common problem with old top mounts and the rubber just perishes and cracks.

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:49 pm

TheDan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:45 pm 1. The pin you are missing is a camber alignment pin. They are often removed to add more negative camber which is not possible with the pin in place. This is also why it looks as though your strut is misaligned. Its not, its just had more negative camber added.

2. Yes, 100%! This is a common problem with old top mounts and the rubber just perishes and cracks.
Thanks mate.

So since I don't want camber, and I also hope this hasn't impacted my wheel balancing too much, are these pins a part that can be bought as I can't find a part number.

Well that sucks. But at least I know replacing the top strut mount will fix it.
I can't quite tell if I'm getting mushrooming either so some plates might be worth it too.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:50 pm

Also is it recommended to replace both front mounts if doing this job or is that not a big deal?
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Dr. Zed wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:50 pm Also is it recommended to replace both front mounts if doing this job or is that not a big deal?
Personally I would never swap just one side on anything to do with suspension or brakes, but others are more cavalier in their approach.
If you buy new top mounts they should have the pins fitted. I know Lemforder do as I usually use those.
As you have to dismantle the strut to swap the mount (or at least compress the springs right down to relieve the pressure), you may want to check the rest of the front strut assembly and think about changing it all.

Keep a close eye on that split as it could get worse quickly now it's that big!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:17 pm
Dr. Zed wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:50 pm Also is it recommended to replace both front mounts if doing this job or is that not a big deal?
Personally I would never swap just one side on anything to do with suspension or brakes, but others are more cavalier in their approach.
If you buy new top mounts they should have the pins fitted. I know Lemforder do as I usually use those.
As you have to dismantle the strut to swap the mount (or at least compress the springs right down to relieve the pressure), you may want to check the rest of the front strut assembly and think about changing it all.

Thanks mate

I have a friend that knows a guy that works at parts store. He sent me a picture of the ones they have and they have the pins so that's that sorted.
I'll order 2.

Yeah,it's very bad. Luckily I work from home so don't drive it much.
I will definitely think about changing other parts but I'm not going to spend money on random parts without inspecting it first.

Don't suppose you can tell from that that picture whether I need the reinforcement plates? I genuinely can't tell if there's mushrooming there or it just looks normal.
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:46 pm

Dr. Zed wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:25 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:17 pm

Thanks mate

I have a friend that knows a guy that works at parts store. He sent me a picture of the ones they have and they have the pins so that's that sorted.
I'll order 2.

Yeah,it's very bad. Luckily I work from home so don't drive it much.
I will definitely think about changing other parts but I'm not going to spend money on random parts without inspecting it first.

Don't suppose you can tell from that that picture whether I need the reinforcement plates? I genuinely can't tell if there's mushrooming there or it just looks normal.
Can't tell from that angle i'm afraid.
Best bet is to get down level with the top mount, look at the bolts and see if they, and the metal under them, is still pointing straight up or starting to point outwards from the centre.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Dr. Zed

Post by Dr. Zed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Ah that makes sense. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Maldives Blue 2.5i E85