Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smart Top

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Gixer46

Smart Top

Post by Gixer46 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:22 am

Hi
Anyone in the U.K. selling or thinking of selliNg their Smart Top module before I buy new.
Cheers Andy

Ebeneezer

Smart Top

Post by Ebeneezer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:02 pm

Buy direct from Las Vegas, I did.

Phoenixboy

Smart Top

Post by Phoenixboy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:06 am

Ebeneezer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:02 pm Buy direct from Las Vegas, I did.
Wtf is that.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Marcoose

Smart Top

Post by Marcoose » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:23 pm

I got my roof top function (and a few other things) codes today. A bloke near San Francisco did it in an hour. He does all coding in Bimmercode, Carly and Smart Top combined. All to say, if you find the right person, you don’t need Smart Top.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Top

Post by Smartbear » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:05 am

Marcoose wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:23 pm I got my roof top function (and a few other things) codes today. A bloke near San Francisco did it in an hour. He does all coding in Bimmercode, Carly and Smart Top combined. All to say, if you find the right person, you don’t need Smart Top.
That only works if your cars fitted with the comfort access option which is a rarity.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Marcoose

Smart Top

Post by Marcoose » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:56 am

That’ll teach you being a cheap skate on options. :P
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Ebeneezer

Smart Top

Post by Ebeneezer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm

@Marcoose you only get to choose options if you buy the car new. Did you ? Or are you just a smart arse?

AnubisZed

Smart Top

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Ebeneezer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm @Marcoose you only get to choose options if you buy the car new. Did you ? Or are you just a smart arse?
SmartTop is not OEM, it's an aftermarket roof module, and a very good one :thumbsup: :driving:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Marcoose

Smart Top

Post by Marcoose » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:16 pm

Ebeneezer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:02 pm @Marcoose you only get to choose options if you buy the car new. Did you ? Or are you just a smart arse?
Oh, dear. You need schooling on emojis too? :P

Ebeneezer

Smart Top

Post by Ebeneezer » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:26 pm

@AnubisZed I am very well aware the the Smart Top module isn’t OEM! Currently I am in contact with them to get it replaced as it does nothing at all. Doesn’t even illuminated the green LED.,no connection at all. I only bought it last year from an eBay seller in Las Vegas while I was on holiday in Florida.

Tony.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Smart Top

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:39 pm

Gixer46,

This is where I got mine new, at the time they said anyone on here looking was to give them a call, mention the forum and they’d get a 10% discount. Might be worth a try, 2nd hand ones aren’t much cheaper and you’ll recover most of your money if you decide to sell :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=121485

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

ori

Smart Top

Post by ori » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 am

Got to say. I always wanted said features of smart top, but feature I wanted most was closing the roof from remote. Now I’ve had that feature on my last 2 cars and I’ve only ever used it as a demo! Real life usage was non existent.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Smart Top

Post by B21 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:09 am

ori wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 am Got to say. I always wanted said features of smart top, but feature I wanted most was closing the roof from remote. Now I’ve had that feature on my last 2 cars and I’ve only ever used it as a demo! Real life usage was non existent.
    Tend to agree…have comfort access on the 35is and rarely use it…

Given the current required to open and close the top I’m mechanically and electrically sympathetic.

So I tend to maybe remotely open the roof if recently used and about to drive off..on return I tend to close the roof with the engine running to minimise unnecessary current drain prior to what may be an extended shut down…

It’s also very good practice to let the turbos cool down with lots of oil still going through them before shut down…

I put the smart top down in the same category as 35is are wonderful and the only true E89… :fuelfire:
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Smart Top

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 am

Ebeneezer wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:26 pm @AnubisZed I am very well aware the the Smart Top module isn’t OEM! Currently I am in contact with them to get it replaced as it does nothing at all. Doesn’t even illuminated the green LED.,no connection at all. I only bought it last year from an eBay seller in Las Vegas while I was on holiday in Florida.

Tony.
    Tony,

Well I hope you can get it sorted.
    I'm assuming it has worked since you've installed it? And I'll assume since it's not worked you can still operate the roof normally?

Not trying to be funny, just trying to help as I've installed a few of these for members.

Dave
    Dave
    2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Ebeneezer

Smart Top

Post by Ebeneezer » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:08 am

Hi Dave, sorry for the short reply mate, but it is very frustrating especially after investing 400 dollars for the module. I have had other roof issues recently where the roof wouldn’t fully close. I changed the Salmon relays as I had no knowledge of them being changed previously. Also changed both hall sensors on the ram on the O/S hinge and then the micro switches on those same hinges. I now have the roof operating normally from the switches. Last September a friend coded the roof to work from the door lock when we met at Thoresby Hall. That now doesn’t work, maybe because I reset the ECU with my Foxwell scanner?
    I suspect you may have fitted my C/C for me last year in Grantham?

Tony.