Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated seats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Christopher72

Heated seats

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:46 pm

My seats and steering wheel is set to come on automatically if the outside temp drops below 10C. Was intending to lower that to 5C but it came on again the other day and I thought, Nah! leave things as they are.
How is this done?
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

N4LLY

Heated seats

Post by N4LLY » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:01 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:46 pm
My seats and steering wheel is set to come on automatically if the outside temp drops below 10C. Was intending to lower that to 5C but it came on again the other day and I thought, Nah! leave things as they are.
How is this done?
Think that might be a G29 thing :?

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:27 am

I don’t worry to much - I feel cold I press the button!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:43 pm

Same, set to come on at 10c. G29.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Nanu » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:46 pm

It's a G29 thing as I didn't have it on my 35is which as Ronk says, you have to press a button. So tiresome :poke:

You can override this using the BMW App and switch it on so it's already warm when you get in the car but will resreve this for very cold mornings 8)
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Scubaregs » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:55 pm

Nanu, How do you switch them on from the app? Can't see that function in my app.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:59 pm

I had a Saab 99 Turbo way back in 1982 and it had automatically heated seats which came on when the temperature dropped (about 10°c ) and off when hot enough - the thermostat also prevented the backside frying like it does on the 35is almost forty years later!

No pushing buttons or setting Apps in the olden days!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Nanu » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:36 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:55 pm Nanu, How do you switch them on from the app? Can't see that function in my app.
will have a look tomorrow and get back to you
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:36 am

For the next step in fitting the heated seats I need to figure out where to pick up CAN-High and CAN-Low - does anyone know a good location to find this please? And will a straight splice soldered in be enough?

I also need to figure how to get the power cable plugged in at back of fuse box - but I’ll tackle that later ;)
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:19 pm

I am nearly done with this retrofit - so far I have managed to obtain a pair of pristine MSport heated electric (memory) seats in Black and have managed to swap "scalps" with my Koral Red seats, so I now have two red heated/ electric seats ready to go (I am working in a "how-to" for this "skinning" process). A sneak-peek at some steps in the progress:
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg (162.88 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg (225.1 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg (304.58 KiB) Viewed 447 times
I have also researched the wiring, sourced the parts and built up a loom to add the functions needed in my car (manual/ non-heated) - I will be testing it out tomorrow and if it works I will have a "how-to" on that part too.

In the meantime here is a snippet of the extent of my research into the mystery of the wiring of these options in our cars (WARNING: work-in-progress/ incomplete!!):
UnderseatPlugs.jpg
UnderseatPlugs.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 447 times
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Looking good! On my old Z4 I went from manual/non heated to fully electric/heated seats and I had fun trying to get the passenger seat heating working (its a different module than the drivers side and you need the PWM feed from the JCB) - but eventually I succeeded. In case you don't know already, you have to code the JBBF and IHK module even with the cable attached. If I can find my post I'll link it (as it took me a few weeks to work this out).. :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92671
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:21 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:59 pm Looking good! On my old Z4 I went from manual/non heated to fully electric/heated seats and I had fun trying to get the passenger seat heating working (its a different module than the drivers side and you need the PWM feed from the JCB) - but eventually I succeeded. In case you don't know already, you have to code the JBBF and IHK module even with the cable attached. If I can find my post I'll link it (as it took me a few weeks to work this out).. :thumbsup:

Great - thanks - I will read carefully! I will be putting everything in tomorrow so will see what happens then!

I currently have NON-HEATED/ MANUAL seats - although hopefully not for much longer - and it looks like MY car is pre-wired up to install HEATED/ MANUAL seats (PWM for both passenger AND driver side are populated) - I don;'t know if that is just my car though.

I have only had to install a +12V to the junction box + K_CAN_H & K_CAN_L for the driver's seat ... my understanding is that if one were not to code anything, the heated seats would work and the electric seats would work, with memory but only on the seat buttons - not with the keys. Although this is sketchy information obtained through many hours of scouring forum posts with contradictory info!! Is this the case?

I have also just installed "BMW Tools" once coding becomes necessary.

Thanks once again.
---
Christopher

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:33 pm

ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:21 pm I don;'t know if that is just my car though.
My previous car was a 2009, and I had to make the loom, which wasn't that fun. and yes I had the same, NON-HEATED/ MANUAL seats.
ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:21 pm my understanding is that if one were not to code anything, the heated seats would work and the electric seats would work, with memory but only on the seat buttons - not with the keys. Although this is sketchy information obtained through many hours of scouring forum posts with contradictory info!! Is this the case?
Whilst they put the loom in (which I find strange as they are cheapskates!), I can't see them having coded it for it, so yes I think you're right except I suspect the passenger heated seat needs coding as its a different sort of connection than the drivers seat. But happy for you to prove me wrong!

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:39 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:33 pm My previous car was a 2009, and I had to make the loom, which wasn't that fun. and yes I had the same, NON-HEATED/ MANUAL seats.
Mine are 2011 MSport with lumbar electrics so that might be why my loom is less sparse(?)
clarker63 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:33 pm Whilst they put the loom in (which I find strange as they are cheapskates!), I can't see them having coded it for it, so yes I think you're right except I suspect the passenger heated seat needs coding as its a different sort of connection than the drivers seat. But happy for you to prove me wrong!
I will probably find out tomorrow! I hope it works simply so that I don't have to start fiddling with NCSExpert - never used it before, I am sure I will get the hang of it but it will take me a while to figure what goes where and how etc. ... but you are probably right!!
---
Christopher

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:33 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:59 pm Looking good! On my old Z4 I went from manual/non heated to fully electric/heated seats and I had fun trying to get the passenger seat heating working (its a different module than the drivers side and you need the PWM feed from the JCB) - but eventually I succeeded. In case you don't know already, you have to code the JBBF and IHK module even with the cable attached. If I can find my post I'll link it (as it took me a few weeks to work this out).. :thumbsup:

By the way, could you recommend a supplier for K+Dcan obd/usb cable please?

There’s tonnes on Amazon, eBay, etc. are they are much of a sameness or do I need to be careful which I get??

Thanks for any pointers

Cheers
---
Christopher