Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated seats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Heated seats

Post by B21 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:18 am

Great write up…well done :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Heated seats

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:29 am

I can't remember the IHK step either, and I think this may be because in the E9x series you can code the CIC to control heating functions (not possible in the Z4), so I'd assume this write is for the E9x. Saying that all the steps are correct, no harm in coding the IHK it will just take the coding without issue. :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:51 pm

Thanks all. The text is an amalgam of 5 different sources - none of which specifically mentioned the E89 - I will leave the IHK steps out to see if that works. I'll adjust the text if so and will update my how-to I am working on.

Cheers
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Progress of sorts.

My coding instructions did not set the car ablaze - a bonus(!) - and now the passenger has full heating on all three settings. For the drivers seat, the 3 LEDs come on when button is pressed, and decrease to 2 or 1 when re-pressed but only stay on for about 5 seconds ... I think I have read this somewhere before so going to have a quick read to see what is missing - if anyone knows please do shout!

Nearly there :)
Last edited by ProfCJJ on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:20 pm

ProfCJJ wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:02 pm car ablaze - a bonus(!)
:rofl: Quite a bonus. and a massive step forward! :thumbsup: I didn't have that problem, but hopefully a google will give you some suggestions. I was the other way around for about 3 months in terms of no heat from the passenger seat, until I worked out it needed the JCB coding...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755275

a number of culprits on this thread.. hopefully not your elements and possibly the "usual suspect" (battery)! worth going out and charging your battery just in case?

AnubisZed

Heated seats

Post by AnubisZed » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:41 pm

Switch lights going off, I had this on my passenger side, it was the fuse. Drivers side should be fuse 46 :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:51 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:41 pm Drivers side should be fuse 46
hope you have not put your fuse box away if that's the case. I hate that fuse box location with a passion! :headbang:

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:44 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:41 pm Switch lights going off, I had this on my passenger side, it was the fuse. Drivers side should be fuse 46 :thumbsup:
I use fuse 46 to power BOTH the passenger and driver’s seat - so as passenger seat heats up that sounds odd - might be something related though so will look at power to the seat and the under seat plug 👍

I don’t think there is any coding left for me to do ?!?
---
Christopher

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:35 pm

Well, Fuse 46 is intact, I had a quick try to reseat the connectors under the drivers seat, just in case its a dodgy connection issue - nothing. Rain stopped play, but if I can tomorrow I'll remove the driver's seat module and take a look there ...
---
Christopher

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:34 pm

How are you getting on. its annoying when its not something obvious (it took me about 3 months to get the passenger seat going).

Is it possible to check if the car sees the driver side module or not via INPA?

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:18 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:34 pm How are you getting on. its annoying when its not something obvious (it took me about 3 months to get the passenger seat going).

Is it possible to check if the car sees the driver side module or not via INPA?
Hi. I was at the NEC at the Classic Motor Show most of last week and so didn’t have any opportunity to take a look. This weekend I intend to start looking at connections and then see if I can see anything wrong via the diagnostics. I’ll keep you posted.
---
Christopher

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:18 pm

I had time this weekend to hook up the computer to the E89 to query the seats/ seat modules.

I think I have a good lead and software works - as I can connect and query various ECUs and code things up ... yet when I try and query the seat modules (either drivers or passengers, it doesnt matter) as follows:
er1.png
er1.png (969.71 KiB) Viewed 315 times
I get the following errors:
er2.png
er2.png (981.67 KiB) Viewed 315 times
er3.png
er3.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 315 times
I don't think its due to a bad cable as I can do other things ... I wonder if I need to update my SP-DATEN files??

Bear in mind that the Passenger heated seat works fine - just not the driver's ... I will try and lift the seat and look at the module etc but with the rain peeing down it will have to be later this week.
---
Christopher

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:20 pm

You appear to be able to ask INPA what modules are installed from this link if it helps to see if it "thinks" it should be?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/760l ... 687/page-2

I no longer have my laptop that was running inpa, so I cant test this myself now unfortunately.

clarker63

Heated seats

Post by clarker63 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:11 pm

I had a look in my foxwell setup, and my recent scan only shows the "seat module - driver SMFA" on my test result. I know when I did my previous install they are different types of modules so to me it looks like you wont be able to connect to the passenger seat one, and you really do have some sort of fault (cabling/hardware or software) on the drivers one, so they appear the same. Annoyingly now that I have upgraded to Windows 11, I don't seem to be able to make my laptop communicate with my Foxwell NT530 either ! :headbang:

ProfCJJ

Heated seats

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:25 pm

clarker63 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:11 pm I had a look in my foxwell setup, and my recent scan only shows the "seat module - driver SMFA" on my test result. I know when I did my previous install they are different types of modules so to me it looks like you wont be able to connect to the passenger seat one, and you really do have some sort of fault (cabling/hardware or software) on the drivers one, so they appear the same. Annoyingly now that I have upgraded to Windows 11, I don't seem to be able to make my laptop communicate with my Foxwell NT530 either ! :headbang:
Thanks for looking into it. Yes, I assume the PWM method for the passenger seat is handled differently than the (heated) seat controller of the driver's side so the diagnostics could be misleading. I think I will only really get to the bottom of this if I pull the seat out, check cables and do some measurements - for that I need a half decent day!

Thanks again
---
Christopher