Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated seats

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jellybaby38

Heated seats

Post by Jellybaby38 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:49 am

Heated seats - are they essential for top-down winter driving, or does the regular heating and a woolly hat suffice on all but the chilliest of days?
I run warm, and generally don't like heated seats, but I've not driven around with the top half of my body sticking out of a car in winter before. Obviously this is a consideration for a few months away, but I don't want to regret buying the car because I have to spend the winter huddled up inside it

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Heated seats

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:02 pm

Like all things it depends…

I drive my car top down almost exclusively…

I drive most of the time in Scotland…usually at a fair speed…

I drive almost all year round….

I’d say for that profile heated seats are essential…

I find usually an initial setting of toasty…then maybe back off..

It’s more pleasant to run cooler cabin air and warm seats…imho ..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

AnubisZed

Heated seats

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:04 pm

I'm used to working outdoors in all weathers, but when I drive to work at 05:30 on a winters day I like having my seat warmed up. Mostly just to take the chill of it, then I'll switch it off.
I have driven in the winter with the roof down, vents on full heat, seat on, hat on (never wear gloves). It's really down to personal preference, but if it's there at least you can use it if need be, but if it's not there, well you've got no choice!
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:07 pm

Leaving house for work at 4 am i have heated seats on for about a mile. Fiancée has them on in bloody summer. I tend to use the heated steering wheel more tbh.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

AnubisZed

Heated seats

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:07 pm Leaving house for work at 4 am i have heated seats on for about a mile. Fiancée has them on in bloody summer. I tend to use the heated steering wheel more tbh.
My wife uses hers a hell of a lot. The drivers seat in her Kuga is a lot hotter than my Z, but she'll have it on for the whole journey.

Looking forward to my heated steering wheel retrofit for this winter :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Scubaregs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Ah, WAGs. I actually went to buy a Porsche Cayman when I was treating myself to my first brand new car for my 55th. Rookie mistake, took the boss and her stipulation beforehand had been it had to have heated seats.

Walked into the showroom right into a Boxster and straight away she said we are getting one of those.

Only consolation was similar price point, would have been in trouble had it been any other Porsche. :rofl:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:22 pm

I fitted some after market pads.
One of the best mods.
Wish i had done it earlier but wasn't until i saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYbXBLui_K8&t=574s
Found out how easy it was to do.

biZ4rreMids

Heated seats

Post by biZ4rreMids » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:04 pm

My Z doesn’t have heated seats and I often drive roof down in the winter. With the heater on hot it’s ok but I do get cold hands and a chill around the back of my neck/head.
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats

The.Analyst

Heated seats

Post by The.Analyst » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:19 pm

A good scarf is the solution to the chill around the neck. Heated seats are the way to go!
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:30 pm

Personally living in Scotland an absolute must, the M40i has a heated steering wheel which was something else I didn’t realise I needed but it probably gets more use than the seat.

As others have said the seat may be in for a short period or turned down/off etc but in the winter the heated steering wheel stays on. Could actually do with being a wee bit warmer :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Zed Baron

Heated seats

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi, its probably high up on the list of extras that people are looking for in these cars, I would look for a car with this fitted :thumbsup:

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Heated seats

Post by MikeyH » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:31 pm

My e85 has heated seats but my hands are what get cold in roof down winter drives, wifey bought me some nice gloves but a heated steering wheel would be really nice.
    Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
    Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

SSF

Heated seats

Post by SSF » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:45 pm

As other pointed, the heated steering wheel is more useful (kinda hard to drive with well insulated hands), but heated seats are too. Especially when driving with the swimbo, as they all seem to not be able to live without it.
    2016 E89 28i | Melbourne red | Kansas / Canberra beige

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Heated seats

Post by B21 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 pm

The heated steering wheel option on E89s is a pretty restrictive feature…whereas there are many E89s with heated seats not that many with heated steering wheels. :tumbleweed:

FWIW is went from a non heated steering wheel through a heated wheel then a non heated steering…although it was OK it obviously warmed the palms your fingers and backs of hands remained cold…I found adjusting the mid level vents in the centre and outer edges of the dash, if directed :thumbsup: , did a very nice job of keeping the hands warm..better in fact than the heated steering wheel..
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Heated seats

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 pm

Don't want to show off but my F33 has heated seats, heated steering wheel and heated air collars in the seats.....

I don't drive it in the winter, though and certainly not with the roof down! :lol: :lol:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!