Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Which redline gearbox oil?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 pm

Just been onto opie oils and they recommend Redline 75w MT-LV, but I can't find it on their website.
Looking on eBay there's lots of different vendors who sell this but looking at the individual spec it doesn't show BMW MTF LT-2

I thought this would be simple to get?

Anyone got any advice on where I can get this oil

BTW my car is a manual 3.0si
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:25 pm

My car is a 3.0i manual and I used this set from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283637028759.

The manual gearbox capacity is about 1.5L so I used all the MTL and then filled the rest with the ATF. This was based on advice on the E46 and M3 forums (and potentially someone here but I can't remember).

Here is the specifications of the two Red Line oils:
Screenshot 2022-07-19 132525.png
Screenshot 2022-07-19 132525.png (39.39 KiB) Viewed 418 times

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:28 pm

Thanks TheDan :thumbsup:
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:56 pm

I've ordered redline MT-LV 70/75w and have got the car booked in for next week.

Was going to go for the mix between manual fluid and auto as recommended above, but so many other people mentioned MT-LV as well. So basically down to a flip if a coin. Can't go wrong either way (better than leaving the old oil in there).

Going to get the tracking done at the same time too. Should feel like a new car 😁

Dark Diggler

Post by Dark Diggler » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 pm

TheDan wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:25 pm My car is a 3.0i manual and I used this set from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283637028759.

The manual gearbox capacity is about 1.5L so I used all the MTL and then filled the rest with the ATF. This was based on advice on the E46 and M3 forums (and potentially someone here but I can't remember).

Here is the specifications of the two Red Line oils:

Screenshot 2022-07-19 132525.png
I used this combo and method 18 months ago, it was a massive improvement and have had no issues.

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:51 pm

Dark Diggler wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 pm
I used this combo and method 18 months ago, it was a massive improvement and have had no issues.
[/quote]

That's good to know. I will try the MT-LV for now and report back.
From what I've heard you can't go wrong with redline stuff

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:36 am

Just had the gearbox oil changed at BMR performance near east Grinstead, nice chaps and some nice cars.
Back to the gearbox, the gear change is much better, more positive with less resistance. Still not like a hot knife though butter but much improved and a cheap upgrade.
Not sure what else there is to do to improve it bar a new clutch but good for now.