Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wear and replacement tyres

Discussing the current generation Z4
Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:29 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:12 pm
Dave1971 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:27 pm
BigDave wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 pm Interesting...
Tyre prices have been steadily rising for some time, must be to do with oil prices etc..

Ive been looking for a set for my X5 for about 6 months. Just got them the other week, wish ide bought them 6 months ago...

Ill be interested to hear your findings if the Contis are a better tyre than the Michelins..
I had some new rear ps4s fitted a few weeks ago at my local Costco for a very reasonable £198 each but he was telling me that the best silica for tyres comes from Ukraine. Don't know if that's true for sure but it could explain the recent price hike.
Laine, Costco is one of the 170 mile round trip options. Is yours running the same sizes as mine? 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 The Conti’s for being a new to the market tyre are very competitively priced against the Michelin’s, especially given the reviews imo :thumbsup:
The Alpina comes with oddball sizes for an e85. The fronts are 235/35/19 and the rears are 265/30/19.
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:31 am

Even better if they start at 8mm. Means my wear rate is lower than I thought!

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Just looked. They started at 7.5mm. So I’ve lost 2mm in 6000 miles. Should get another 10k out of mine or more!

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:34 pm

ori wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm I’m always concerned about using non bmw approved tyres. Shouldn’t affect warranty right?
It depends on how you interpret "affect warranty". Your warranty won't be void by using non-star marked tyre. However, if you report any drivetrain issue or running noise issue etc., dealer may make you swap back to star-marked tyre first before they carry out further diagnosis and repair under warranty unless the issue is very obvious.

This is my experience. On my previous F10, it developed a bad bearing noise when the car was still under 3 year manufacturer warranty. Dealer did the normal diagnosis and checked all four wheel bearings and no issue at all. They then told me because the car was fitted with CrossClimate tyres which are not star-marked, BMW won't authorise further diagnosis under warranty if the tyre are not within manufacturer spec (star-marked). Thus, I need to fit star marked tyre first (by dealer or by myself, the dealer doesn't care) for them to be able to claim diagnosis labour from warranty. I asked them if I fit the star marked tyre and send the car back, will the warranty cover the cost of repair if they then find the issue. Dealer told me that the warranty is all valid and not voided so if the failed components are covered, then I don't need to pay anything. I asked two dealers back then and both dealers told me the same story.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm Had the M40i a year now, mainly used for forum runs and weekends away and I knew the rear tyres were getting low. Mileage under 8k and first1200 done very easily. Since new, no slides, doughnuts etc just spirited driving after running in period :driving:

In preparation for the not the NC500 and Pyrenees trip, and prompted by another thread, I decided to check them yesterday to see if I would get the NTNC500 out of the current rear ones, Ehhhh no………. :tumbleweed:

Rears 1.76-1.9mm wear pretty even across each tyre, but a bit more surprising re the fronts, they only have 2.25mm again even wear across whole tyre but wearing out in line with the rears. Pressure and everything spot on no scrubbing edges etc, all looks good but didn’t think I’d need to change the fronts for quite a while yet. If

Checked all the usual places, black circles, camskill etc, straight replacements for the Michelin’s that are currently on it, circa £930. Peter has the new Conti 7’s and between him and the tyre reviews they’re getting good feedback. 4 seconds quicker round the track on test than PS4S’s.

Shopped around last night and kwik fit mobile fitting, with 10% discount code just now on the conti’s and free mobile fitting, coming in at £684 and £26 cash back via Quidco. Very happy with that, getting fitted next Friday. If I pick a two hr slot for fitting the charge is £30, pick morning or afternoon, it’s free :D

Kwik fit would not be my normal first point of call for tyres but nowhere local even worth considering after previous bad experiences so either 40 miles one way or 85 the other to get them fitted so giving them a try.

Thought the lifespan was lowish for rears but genuinely surprised I’m having to replace the fronts too but happy with the current deal on replacements :thumbsup:
8 to 10k is Fairly Normal for the Rears
And around 12k mike's on the front, similar to M4,etc.
Going by what I've read and heard from other owners.
Not alot if cars tyres are lasting as long,
Our AMG Merc only did around 9k on the fronts (fwd).
So not great,ditto our 4wd Tiguan R.
Circa 9k on original tyres on front and only 12-14k on Rears.
I find Vredestein tyres last Alot longer
And get around 50% more wear at least.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:58 pm

q96169we wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:34 pm
ori wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm I’m always concerned about using non bmw approved tyres. Shouldn’t affect warranty right?
It depends on how you interpret "affect warranty". Your warranty won't be void by using non-star marked tyre. However, if you report any drivetrain issue or running noise issue etc., dealer may make you swap back to star-marked tyre first before they carry out further diagnosis and repair under warranty unless the issue is very obvious.

This is my experience. On my previous F10, it developed a bad bearing noise when the car was still under 3 year manufacturer warranty. Dealer did the normal diagnosis and checked all four wheel bearings and no issue at all. They then told me because the car was fitted with CrossClimate tyres which are not star-marked, BMW won't authorise further diagnosis under warranty if the tyre are not within manufacturer spec (star-marked). Thus, I need to fit star marked tyre first (by dealer or by myself, the dealer doesn't care) for them to be able to claim diagnosis labour from warranty. I asked them if I fit the star marked tyre and send the car back, will the warranty cover the cost of repair if they then find the issue. Dealer told me that the warranty is all valid and not voided so if the failed components are covered, then I don't need to pay anything. I asked two dealers back then and both dealers told me the same story.
Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I’m keeping all existing tyres in cast of emergencies as every one is still legal. If the situation you are quoting was unfortunate enough to arise I’d just get a local tyre place to swap all the tyres back over before putting the car to BMW. Worst they could do is advise me all tyres were very close to the legal limit but they’d all still be star marked.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:59 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:24 pm Just looked. They started at 7.5mm. So I’ve lost 2mm in 6000 miles. Should get another 10k out of mine or more!
    You need to drive that thing harder :poke: :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

ANOTHER 10k, I’m not even getting that never mind another :rofl:
    Last edited by Argyll Andy on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:03 pm

Dave1971 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:29 am The Alpina comes with oddball sizes for an e85. The fronts are 235/35/19 and the rears are 265/30/19.
      :thumbsup: That’s the sizes I was running on the 35iS. I was asking for a rough comparison price wise as you paid roughly the same per rear as I did for the Conti’s. When I was looking the PS4S’s were a bit dearer and a lot of places weren’t quoting PS5’s in my size

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:58 pm
        q96169we wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:34 pm

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I’m keeping all existing tyres in cast of emergencies as every one is still legal. If the situation you are quoting was unfortunate enough to arise I’d just get a local tyre place to swap all the tyres back over before putting the car to BMW. Worst they could do is advise me all tyres were very close to the legal limit but they’d all still be star marked.
        Yep, that's what I started doing since then. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm

q96169we, you are once again a wonderful source of information.

Here is another one though. Are the bmw star marked tyres any different for non star marked ones?

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm

Argyll Andy, so looking at the review, the main let down of the conti is noise and aquaplaning. The noise might bother me.

B21
        Lifer
        Lifer
        Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:34 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm Argyll Andy, so looking at the review, the main let down of the conti is noise and aquaplaning. The noise might bother me.
        :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
        We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
        A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:47 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm Argyll Andy, so looking at the review, the main let down of the conti is noise and aquaplaning. The noise might bother me.
        Exact same noise as currents and wet performance better than currents, aquaplaning, iirc on the reviews it said only an issue at track speeds.

In reality roof always down (unless absolutely pishing it down) and right foot normally heading towards the floor, as current wear rate has exposed :lol:, so the noise thing won’t really bother me I don’t think. If roof up just turn the choooons up louder 8)

sars
          Lifer
          Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:30 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm q96169we, you are once again a wonderful source of information.

Here is another one though. Are the bmw star marked tyres any different for non star marked ones?
          There can be a difference, usually a modified rubber compound to give a BMW preferred handling characteristics. There is a tyre review explaining the issue.
          Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
          Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

mr wilks
          Legend
          Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:36 pm

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm q96169we, you are once again a wonderful source of information.

Star marked for Bmw tyres is more to do with manufacturers guaranteeing rolling circumference so as not to affect drive train / transfer boxes .
          Id like to see any review that claims the compound is different .
          3 ZMRs
          3 E89s
          5 Si coupes
          5 Si roadsters
          997 C4
          TTRS
          F82 M4
          MK7 Golf Gti
          current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo