Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wear and replacement tyres

Discussing the current generation Z4
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Had the M40i a year now, mainly used for forum runs and weekends away and I knew the rear tyres were getting low. Mileage under 8k and first1200 done very easily. Since new, no slides, doughnuts etc just spirited driving after running in period :driving:

In preparation for the not the NC500 and Pyrenees trip, and prompted by another thread, I decided to check them yesterday to see if I would get the NTNC500 out of the current rear ones, Ehhhh no………. :tumbleweed:

Rears 1.76-1.9mm wear pretty even across each tyre, but a bit more surprising re the fronts, they only have 2.25mm again even wear across whole tyre but wearing out in line with the rears. Pressure and everything spot on no scrubbing edges etc, all looks good but didn’t think I’d need to change the fronts for quite a while yet.

Checked all the usual places, black circles, camskill etc, straight replacements for the Michelin’s that are currently on it, circa £930. Peter has the new Conti 7’s and between him and the tyre reviews they’re getting good feedback. 4 seconds quicker round the track on test than PS4S’s.

Shopped around last night and kwik fit mobile fitting, with 10% discount code just now on the conti’s and free mobile fitting, coming in at £684 and £26 cash back via Quidco. Very happy with that, getting fitted next Friday. If I pick a two hr slot for fitting the charge is £30, pick morning or afternoon, it’s free :D

Kwik fit would not be my normal first point of call for tyres but nowhere local even worth considering after previous bad experiences so either 40 miles one way or 85 the other to get them fitted so giving them a try.

Thought the lifespan was lowish for rears but genuinely surprised I’m having to replace the fronts too but happy with the current deal on replacements :thumbsup:
Attachments
043E72D4-34EC-44B7-8E0E-5FA51013266A.jpeg
043E72D4-34EC-44B7-8E0E-5FA51013266A.jpeg (62.74 KiB) Viewed 715 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm

They did the tyres on my 718 on the driveway, fitter was 1st class and I would happily use them again.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 pm

Interesting...
    Tyre prices have been steadily rising for some time, must be to do with oil prices etc..

Ive been looking for a set for my X5 for about 6 months. Just got them the other week, wish ide bought them 6 months ago...

Ill be interested to hear your findings if the Contis are a better tyre than the Michelins..

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:42 pm

BigDave wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 pm Interesting...
    Tyre prices have been steadily rising for some time, must be to do with oil prices etc..

Ive been looking for a set for my X5 for about 6 months. Just got them the other week, wish ide bought them 6 months ago...

Ill be interested to hear your findings if the Contis are a better tyre than the Michelins..
    https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm

If dry and wet braking and handling are your focus these appear to be the best of the current tyres edging the MP4S out…

I fitted them to my 35is after almost identical sized MP4S and was pleased with the improved feel, especially on turn in.

They are all great tyres but for now..the Conti Sports 7 on E89 and G29s are the winners..if your priority is dry and wet performance :driving: :thumbsup:
    We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
    A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Dave1971

Post by Dave1971 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:27 pm

I had some new rear ps4s fitted a few weeks ago at my local Costco for a very reasonable £198 each but he was telling me that the best silica for tyres comes from Ukraine. Don't know if that's true for sure but it could explain the recent price hike.
    Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
    Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
    Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
    Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
    Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
    Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:56 pm

Just 8,000 miles sounded disappointing, but then I remembered checking mine to vote on this thread:- viewtopic.php?t=135690

And I think I'll be lucky to get 10K out of mine.

Didn't measure the fronts though, but I will now!
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:09 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:56 pm Just 8,000 miles sounded disappointing, but then I remembered checking mine to vote on this thread:- viewtopic.php?t=135690

And I think I'll be lucky to get 10K out of mine.

Didn't measure the fronts though, but I will now!
    I still think it is Iain when 1200 of that was done at a max 3k revs. :oops:

Re the fronts, it has been said to me that that’s excellent news, means I’ve been ‘exercising” the front end too :lol: visually I thought the fronts had plenty life left but measuring told a different story.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:12 pm

Dave1971 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:27 pm

I had some new rear ps4s fitted a few weeks ago at my local Costco for a very reasonable £198 each but he was telling me that the best silica for tyres comes from Ukraine. Don't know if that's true for sure but it could explain the recent price hike.
      Laine, Costco is one of the 170 mile round trip options. Is yours running the same sizes as mine? 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 The Conti’s for being a new to the market tyre are very competitively priced against the Michelin’s, especially given the reviews imo :thumbsup:
      Last edited by Argyll Andy on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Tidy
        Legend
        Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:15 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:09 pm Re the fronts, it has been said to me that that’s excellent news, means I’ve been ‘exercising” the front end too visually I thought the fronts had plenty life left but measuring told a different story.
        Maybe that's because BMW tend to dial in a bit of understeer. :roll:

Hopefully your Contis will last a bit longer. :thumbsup:
        Coupes because stunning!
        Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
        Gone - Montego Blue
        Gone - Ruby Black

ori

Post by ori » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm

I’ve done similar miles and my tyres are nowhere near that low. Gonna measure them tomorrow.

I’m always concerned about using non bmw approved tyres. Shouldn’t affect warranty right?

That’s a great price for 4!!

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:15 pm

ori wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:07 pm I’ve done similar miles and my tyres are nowhere near that low. Gonna measure them tomorrow.

I’m always concerned about using non bmw approved tyres. Shouldn’t affect warranty right?

That’s a great price for 4!!
        :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I live in Scotland and get to :driving: mine, you run up and down the motorway at NSL :poke: :whistle:

No, no problem with the tyres re warranty, correct size and load so all good :thumbsup:

Yeah very happy with the price, well as happy as I can be with the road tax and insurance also due 3 weeks ago, been an expensive month :cry:

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:59 am

Will be good if you give us a quick review of the tyres on noise and comfort compared to originals.

Argyll Andy
          Lifer
          Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 am

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:59 am Will be good if you give us a quick review of the tyres on noise and comfort compared to originals.
          Will do :thumbsup: A genuine thought right enough. If they last similar mileage they will need replaced again after the NTNC500/Pyrenees/D&G run start of October

Also be good to see what’s left on your tyres at a similar mileage. I think as you say it’s going to be a fair bit more, particularly for the fronts

ori

Post by ori » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am

So did a quick check.

Rears have 5mm tread
            Fronts have 5.5mm tread.

Miles 6,200 but mostly town and gentle motorway.

So assuming 9mm tread depth on new tyre, I think mine should last another 6,000 miles!?!?

Argyll Andy
            Lifer
            Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:57 am

ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am So did a quick check.

Rears have 5mm tread
            Fronts have 5.5mm tread.

Miles 6,200 but mostly town and gentle motorway.

So assuming 9mm tread depth on new tyre, I think mine should last another 6,000 miles!?!?
            :oops: :rofl: About what I thought, only thing to factor in to your calculations is starting tread. I always though it was 8mm but the new Conti’s come with 7.4mm new but they’re not the worst in the tyre test Peter linked iirc the Bridgestones come with 6.6mm NEW :headbang: