Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre wear and replacement tyres

Discussing the current generation Z4
sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:34 pm
ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm Argyll Andy, so looking at the review, the main let down of the conti is noise and aquaplaning. The noise might bother me.
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Noise, comfort and aquaplaning performance would be high on my wish list too. It’s not like I’m driving at 95% of the cars ability with most of the miles being on the motorway.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:48 pm

As for the much lauded PS4S tyres :cry: clearly way too many people buy their tyres based on forum talk & tyre reviews that very rarely have any actual relevance to real world useage .
There are so many aternative tyres that would suit 99% of car drivers 99% of the time so much better .
The ps4s are incredibly noisy in the larger sizes , ridiculously expensive & by all current reports on this forum have woeful wear rates ( had 3 sets on 3 different cars but never had a set long enough enough to know )
Best all round tyre brand ive found ? by a good margin it would be Nokian :o Dunlop SportMaxx Rt2 or Vredestein rate very highly with me too , opinion based on dry grip , wet grip , cabin noise , wear rate & price .
For reference currently have PS4S on the M4 , Nokian WR4 on 5 series F11 ( 4th set of Nokians on 4 diffferent vehicles )
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:50 pm

sars wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 pm
ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm Argyll Andy, so looking at the review, the main let down of the conti is noise and aquaplaning. The noise might bother me.
Noise, comfort and aquaplaning performance would be high on my wish list too. It’s not like I’m driving at 95% of the cars ability with most of the miles being on the motorway.
SARS..I did caveat twice my statement that if handling and braking both wet and dry were your criteria then….

I find the dichotomy of having a M40i and focussing on motorway cruising prioritisation amusing..

As usual each to their own…I was just expressing my personal view .. :thumbsup: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 pm

sars wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 pm
That’s the point I was making in my response to Ori, SARS. That noise wise on paper they’re the same. I too have found both sets of Michelin’s noisy. Also I’m fortunate enough that mine is used solely for fun, if it sees a motorway/dual carriageway it’s both very rare and also only a means of getting somewhere like a forum run etc. The roof always being down makes it a bloody noisy place anyway :lol:

Peter’s points about handling and braking are important to me, because of how the car is used. If it’s pishing down either the 3 series or Kathleen’s Golf

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
    mr wilks wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:36 pm
    ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm q96169we, you are once again a wonderful source of information.

Here is another one though. Are the bmw star marked tyres any different for non star marked ones?
    Star marked for Bmw tyres is more to do with manufacturers guaranteeing rolling circumference so as not to affect drive train / transfer boxes .
    Id like to see any review that claims the compound is different .
    Well that could be one reason, however any vehicle must be able to cope with up to a 12.0 mm difference between wheel diameters because of tyre wear, this is a reasonable and foreseeable real world failure scenario and engineers must, by statute, design and engineer accordingly.

Anyway here’s one review.
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:10 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:48 pm As for the much lauded PS4S tyres :cry: clearly way too many people buy their tyres based on forum talk & tyre reviews that very rarely have any actual relevance to real world useage .
    There are so many aternative tyres that would suit 99% of car drivers 99% of the time so much better .
    The ps4s are incredibly noisy in the larger sizes , ridiculously expensive & by all current reports on this forum have woeful wear rates ( had 3 sets on 3 different cars but never had a set long enough enough to know )
    Best all round tyre brand ive found ? by a good margin it would be Nokian :o Dunlop SportMaxx Rt2 or Vredestein rate very highly with me too , opinion based on dry grip , wet grip , cabin noise , wear rate & price .
    For reference currently have PS4S on the M4 , Nokian WR4 on 5 series F11 ( 4th set of Nokians on 4 diffferent vehicles )
    Andy, the Dunlop’s were second choice but was struggling to get the right sizes, delivery is restricted to my address and local fitting is a complete hit or miss, also a 170 round trip to someone who has both sizes and would fit. There was less than £10 a tyre between them and the Conti’s and I can get home fitting on them. The reviews also pushed me towards them too. Quite happy to give them a try

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

mr wilks
      Legend
      Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:10 pm
      mr wilks wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:48 pm As for the much lauded PS4S tyres :cry: clearly way too many people buy their tyres based on forum talk & tyre reviews that very rarely have any actual relevance to real world useage .
      Andy, the Dunlop’s were second choice but was struggling to get the right sizes, delivery is restricted to my address and local fitting is a complete hit or miss, also a 170 round trip to someone who has both sizes and would fit. There was less than £10 a tyre between them and the Conti’s and I can get home fitting on them. The reviews also pushed me towards them too. Quite happy to give them a try
      The Conti6 was a great tyre so i would expect the 7 to be even better , you will only know by direct comparison to what you have already had .
      The 6 had very similar traits to the Pirelli PZero PZ4 , both very capable , quiet & comfortable , far better all round tyres for majority of users than PS4S .
      3 ZMRs
      3 E89s
      5 Si coupes
      5 Si roadsters
      997 C4
      TTRS
      F82 M4
      MK7 Golf Gti
      current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

sars
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by sars » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:22 pm

b21, we buy the same cars for different reasons and thus choose our tyres accordingly, there’s no right or wrong, just our own preferences, let’s not ridicule someone for having different ones.
      Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:30 pm

sars wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:22 pm b21, we buy the same cars for different reasons and thus choose our tyres accordingly, there’s no right or wrong, just our own preferences, let’s not ridicule someone for having different ones.
      :thumbsup:
      We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:39 pm

I ran the Dunlops on our Mini and Volvo and was impressed with the ride / noise / feel….things move on and being a Conti bigot treated them to the new Premium contact 6…very pleased with the incremental perceived improvement in steering feel / ‘handling’

Given the sheer cost of 4 new boots I guess we (I) stick in our comfort zones…

The E85s seem to be able to get the best out of many brands….

On the E89s I found Contis just seem to suit the chassis…
      Last edited by B21 on Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigDave

Post by BigDave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:07 pm

"Star marked for Bmw tyres is more to do with manufacturers guaranteeing rolling circumference so as not to affect drive train / transfer boxes .
      Id like to see any review that claims the compound is different .".

Yes thats what i have been led to believe,,, especially after owning 3 X5,s for the last 8 or so years, and having to have 2 transfer boxes replaced [under warranty, thankfully], even with star marked tyres fitted...

ori

Post by ori » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 pm

sars wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 pm [youtube][/youtube]
      mr wilks wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:36 pm
      ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:03 pm q96169we, you are once again a wonderful source of information.

Here is another one though. Are the bmw star marked tyres any different for non star marked ones?
      Star marked for Bmw tyres is more to do with manufacturers guaranteeing rolling circumference so as not to affect drive train / transfer boxes .
      Id like to see any review that claims the compound is different .
      Well that could be one reason, however any vehicle must be able to cope with up to a 12.0 mm difference between wheel diameters because of tyre wear, this is a reasonable and foreseeable real world failure scenario and engineers must, by statute, design and engineer accordingly.

Anyway here’s one review.
      That video actually explains a lot. However, real world usual motoring is it worth the extra £500 for star marked mitch star mark over the contis?

Guess Andy will give us a review. I suspect the handling won’t be as precise.

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 am

ori wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 pm That video actually explains a lot. However, real world usual motoring is it worth the extra £500 for star marked mitch star mark over the contis?

ori, yeah, definitely give you some feedback once I’ve tried them properly. Handling seems to be one of their big plus points. Much quicker turn in than the Michelin’s apparently. If I don’t like them it’ll only be a few months before they’re back off anyway :rofl:

ori

Post by ori » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:47 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 am
        ori wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:57 pm That video actually explains a lot. However, real world usual motoring is it worth the extra £500 for star marked mitch star mark over the contis?

ori, yeah, definitely give you some feedback once I’ve tried them properly. Handling seems to be one of their big plus points. Much quicker turn in than the Michelin’s apparently. If I don’t like them it’ll only be a few months before they’re back off anyway :rofl:
        The problem with the review is it compared standard tyres and not the manufacturers star marked tyres which are different.

As I said, real world difference is probably tiny either way.

craig3.2
        Lifer
        Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:11 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:57 am
        ori wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am So did a quick check.

Rears have 5mm tread
        Fronts have 5.5mm tread.

Miles 6,200 but mostly town and gentle motorway.

So assuming 9mm tread depth on new tyre, I think mine should last another 6,000 miles!?!?
        :oops: :rofl: About what I thought, only thing to factor in to your calculations is starting tread. I always though it was 8mm but the new Conti’s come with 7.4mm new but they’re not the worst in the tyre test Peter linked iirc the Bridgestones come with 6.6mm NEW :headbang:
        Yes,Tyre manufacturers have been sly in recent years. Not only increasing the price of tyres,but cutting back new thread a few years back,grin an average of 8 to 9mm down to 6.5/7/7.5 or 8mm, so anywhere between 1 as 1.5mm per most brands, depending on what they had to start with.
        Really not fair,and something alot of people/car owners,were not aware of.
        Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
        Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)