Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
pvr
Legend
Legend

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by pvr » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:16 pm

I have a. iD.3 on order since beginning of September with no delivery date or manufacturing date at all.

Went to have a look at the Cupra today, same platform, same manufacturer group and by the looks of it better reliability stats (Source Which).

So … do I bail and go for that one as they can get a car within months or stick with the ID.3? Haven’t checked the price differences as I had a good discount on the ID.3 at the time (about 4K or so)
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by hopz121 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:20 pm

I’d take the Cupra, looks better and also you can get it faster. It all depends on the pricing though I guess. The base price Inc spec should be cheaper with seat though I would have thought.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by mmm-five » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:07 am

My dad has now swapped his Motability order to a non-electric car (Skoda Kamiq) as he's also been waiting since last September with zero movement...and a relative who works at Seat told us that the Born is even further away from deliveries than the iD.3.

Even the Kamiq isn't due until December!
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

pvr
Legend
Legend

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by pvr » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:29 am

I had to abandon the Born idea though due to the price. 0% discount on that, whilst on the ID.3 I had negotiated a 4.5k discount (which I assume is contractual and can not be changed), so the price difference is 10k then between the two of them in idential engine spec.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 pm

pvr wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:29 am I had to abandon the Born idea
So you will never have a "Born Identity" then. :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:25 pm

How about an Ionic 5 or EV6 as alternaives
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

pvr
Legend
Legend

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by pvr » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:30 pm

The dog needs to fit in the boot, which rules a lot of them out. Also don’t want it to be too big as my wife will be driving it mainly
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Thrustyjust

ID.3 or Cupra Born

Post by Thrustyjust » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:19 pm

Having now owned a Born for a week , I can say it makes all our other cars pretty much like steam engines in comparison. Wasn't planning on 'liking it' as much as I do. I had options on a company car and a hybrid seemed to tick the boxes, except getting a car on the drive. I liked the Cupra Formentor and was told all new cars are at least 6 months away and all ex demo's are not to be sold due to a recall for a heat shield and not many dealers ( 2 I believe) have the 'techs' to fix them. So, that was out the window.
I did 'think' about the Born , but first leccie car and the infamous range anxiety situation I was nervous. Boss has an Audi Etron GT and fitted a supercharger at work for it. So, after a 'chat' with him and 58kw nerves, he said get the 77kw version. So, 2 for sale in the UK as demo's ( no stock anywhere new) , so I bought a silver V3 with 77kw battery from Cupra Hatfield with 3k miles on the clock. Paid for the same day and delivery 4 days later, which was a week last Friday. Immediately set me up on the app for the charger at work and all good. Charge from 20% to 80 % in about 35 mins. Will try and set up for slower charging so helping the battery on the days I dont go out. I can change that.
With the weather being minus 4 to minus 5 a few days into ownership, meant range was disappearing . Never believe the WLTP rubbish you read. So, I did a longer journey last week and set the charger to 90 % to beat anxiety away. Well, I needed have worried. I had about 270 miles in the pot.
Whats it like to drive ?
Its surreal as any leccie car owner will say to you. Almost limo like with sound other than the slight tyre noise or massive tyre noise on the concrete M25 sections, but we all get that. The steering is sublime, the suspension is smooth, even with 20 inch alloys on it as the V3 comes with these. The motor isnt heard unless you unleash the Cupra button on the steering wheel and plant your right foot. Sad as we are, he's called Mr Whizzy from the noise now, which seemed nicer than the 'washing machine on wheels'
Its quick, even with the big battery. off the line to 30 mph is instant and great for jumping gaps in traffic. 60 comes up soon after. Various speed times are ' noted' but in real world terms it is damn nippy. Seats are bucket style and are really comfy. If I did get a niggle, I would just hit the massage button :? . Heads up display is brilliant also. Its a very, very pleasant machine to drive.

Whats not to like ?
Tech, Tech and more tech. All cars are going this way , whether you are ice or hybrid or battery. Setting it up has been a ball ache. There is no manual. There is a 360 odd page thing on line. Hmmmm, not printing that and going to site in the car for weeks on end. I spent 2 hrs trying to link my phone with the app and the car. I could get the phone linked but not the app to the car. Being ex demo, we wondered if it was because I wasn't registered as the main driver . A 1 hr video call with Cupra Hatfield , fixed some and while on my way home from Oxford , I popped into Cupra Didcot and then spent another hour there. Its not done !! Still glitches. So, that's a pain but the car works which is all , in a way I need. Self driving and self parking is something I 'can' use but probably wont in my ownership.
Steering wheel buttons are touch sensitive and not great at all. If the infotainment and wheel buttons could be unscrewed and disposed, it would be amazing.
Don't let that think its a pup, because the car isn't . Its a wake up call to the other cars we have as to how these things are getting better in time. Yes, infrastructure for charging by our government is woeful and well behind Berty Boris's pledge. But for me , its fine, I charge at work for free and I am sure in a moment of panic , I may have to use public chargers to get moving again and I can report more when I do.

Would you still go back to an ICE hybrid company car instead of a battery one ?
My colleague has a 330e BMW and it looks dated compared to this thing. Yes, its quicker, but that's not really what I needed. It is also government tax BIK pushed to go electric. I found a good website that advised on the cars and BIK. My colleague with the 330e , is potentially paying about ( including fuel card) about £165 a month , which would have been similar with the Formentor, if I went that way. The personal tax for me for this car with electric included ( until Rishi finds out) is £14 a month. Thats a big difference over a year.
Running costs for the Born is a 2 yearly service visit for suspension, brakes and brake fluid and cabin filter, at a guess . The car books itself in, on the app, I believe ( when the tech works !!) It has permanent updates when linked to wifi and my phone. Tyres, the dealer said are pricey and a quick check in Camskill says £265 a corner, so he was right :o

Its been a revelation from someone who was massively apprehensive about electric. I am not having a home charger put it. I live about 4 miles to work, so if I did find I was low at a weekend, I would stop at work, put on charge and go into Newbury shopping for an hour or so.
E86 In sapphire black