Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 front suspension parts

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:37 pm

Went to get the Z out of the garage this morning to find I had a horrible grinding noise coming from the front left hand corner. Car had been standing for a month, and turns out be be a snapped front spring. To get mobile again quickly I picked up a complete strut with spring from a local bmw breaker, fitted ok so now car is useable again, but I think I will do the whole front suspension with new parts. I want to stick to standard setup, no hard or firm setup, so what’s needed:

Springs
Shockers
Top mounts
Reinforcing plates ??
Bump stops
Dust covers

Anything else?

What makes would you go with, and who’s got any deals on right now (apart from Euro as they always have some offer or another on the go)

Cheer
Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm

thespannerman wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:37 pm Went to get the Z out of the garage this morning to find I had a horrible grinding noise coming from the front left hand corner. Car had been standing for a month, and turns out be be a snapped front spring. To get mobile again quickly I picked up a complete strut with spring from a local bmw breaker, fitted ok so now car is useable again, but I think I will do the whole front suspension with new parts. I want to stick to standard setup, no hard or firm setup, so what’s needed:

Springs
Shockers
Top mounts
Reinforcing plates ??
Bump stops
Dust covers

Anything else?

What makes would you go with, and who’s got any deals on right now (apart from Euro as they always have some offer or another on the go)

Cheer
Al
I usually use Autodoc. Depends how long you want to wait, both for a decent discount and also then allow up to 14 days for delivery.

Springs - Suplex
Shockers - Sachs
Top mounts - Lemforder
Reinforcing plates ?? - never bothered
Bump stops - Febi Bilstein
Dust covers - can only get tacky plastic ones. Re-use your original rubber ones and clean them up with Autoglym bumper gel or similar. Makes them supple again too.
May need new drop links? - Febi Bilstein

Knuckle bolts - get new ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184878518948

These are what I use for close to OEM standard replacement. Others will no doubt have other ideas.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:10 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:57 pm
thespannerman wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:37 pm Went to get the Z out of the garage this morning to find I had a horrible grinding noise coming from the front left hand corner. Car had been standing for a month, and turns out be be a snapped front spring. To get mobile again quickly I picked up a complete strut with spring from a local bmw breaker, fitted ok so now car is useable again, but I think I will do the whole front suspension with new parts. I want to stick to standard setup, no hard or firm setup, so what’s needed:

Springs
Shockers
Top mounts
Reinforcing plates ??
Bump stops
Dust covers

Anything else?

Cheer
Al
I usually use Autodoc. Depends how long you want to wait, both for a decent discount and also then allow up to 14 days for delivery.

Springs - Suplex
Shockers - Sachs
Top mounts - Lemforder
Reinforcing plates ?? - never bothered
Bump stops - Febi Bilstein
Dust covers - can only get tacky plastic ones. Re-use your original rubber ones and clean them up with Autoglym bumper gel or similar. Makes them supple again too.
May need new drop links? - Febi Bilstein

Knuckle bolts - get new ones - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184878518948

These are what I use for close to OEM standard replacement. Others will no doubt have other ideas.
100% what he said

Only thing I would add is powerflex anti roll bar bushes which I do to most of mine for a little more tightness at the front
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:26 pm

Cheers guys, so I will start my shopping list 👍

Are there some spring caps top and bottom as well (rubber gasket type things to insulate the spring from the strut)

Al
BMW newbie, 2003 E85 2.5 SE - but after 10 Discoveries this ought to be a walk in the park :P

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:31 pm

thespannerman wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:26 pm Cheers guys, so I will start my shopping list 👍

Are there some spring caps top and bottom as well (rubber gasket type things to insulate the spring from the strut)

Al
you should be able to reuse the existing but:

Check they are in place
Check they aren’t perished

If they are get them from bmw or eBay use real
Oem for codes

EWS Delete PM me

colb

Post by colb » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:08 pm

Its worth noting that CarParts4less on the web is the web only side of Europarts. 4less usually come out cheaper than Europarts site and delivery is preety swift. Autodoc site is useful as that will search on oem part numbers however delivery can take some time.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I just did new springs cannot recall which ones but they were m sport suspension ones.

Bilstein b4 shock absorbers and lemforder top mounts.

I didn't bother with any of the other stuff.

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:16 am

Guys, it looks like I need the top spring plates (the bit below the top mount) as the one I have just taken apart is almost rusted through. I don’t believe this part comes when you buy a new damper strut, and I can’t seem to find it listed at autodoc or any other sites I have looked at. I can find the top mounts, and the top and bottom rubbers but not the plate.

Advice please

Cheers
Al

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:25 am

thespannerman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:16 am Guys, it looks like I need the top spring plates (the bit below the top mount) as the one I have just taken apart is almost rusted through. I don’t believe this part comes when you buy a new damper strut, and I can’t seem to find it listed at autodoc or any other sites I have looked at. I can find the top mounts, and the top and bottom rubbers but not the plate.

Advice please

Cheers
Al
I have never had that issue so far anyway.
I'll have a look around for you, but maybe Stuart may have spares?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:30 am

8D626486-EE51-46C3-96CB-24F3B3103F90.png
8D626486-EE51-46C3-96CB-24F3B3103F90.png (219.86 KiB) Viewed 436 times
9A8D8A13-99F9-494D-9CE0-DF2D72AAFC6C.png
9A8D8A13-99F9-494D-9CE0-DF2D72AAFC6C.png (215.54 KiB) Viewed 436 times

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:31 am

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 am

That’s great, my eBay search didn’t come up with this but I can see your used the part number

Thanks
Al

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:32 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:31 am thespannerman, found this on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174796904987 ... BMqNqr18Rg
OK, so Stuart types quicker than me :rofl:

thespannerman

Post by thespannerman » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am

Ok, I think I have now ordered all the bits I need, thanks chaps

The spring breaking has done me a favour as the upper spring plate is in really bad condition, so a full replacement on both sides is well in order :thumbsup:

Al

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:54 am

thespannerman wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:50 am Ok, I think I have now ordered all the bits I need, thanks chaps

The spring breaking has done me a favour as the upper spring plate is in really bad condition, so a full replacement on both sides is well in order :thumbsup:

Al
Just checking.................. you do now about Realoem and how you can use it to get part numbers? It's my default now: grab the Part Number and stick it into an ebay search.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select ... series=E85
Start here and populate it with your car details.