Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking for a Z4

First port of call for new members
Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:00 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:11 pm We are a convincing lot, in fact Pondrew, has almost convinced us that he is human.

Almost......
Think there is someway to go before he convinces me he is human - men from mars, women from Venus, Pondrews not in this universe, never mind galaxy
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:51 pm

What.....is this National 'have a pop at Pond' day? Oh...hang on...everyday is on here!
You boys have been out in the sun too long. :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:51 pm What.....is this National 'have a pop at Pond' day? Oh...hang on...everyday is on here!
You boys have been out in the sun too long. :rofl:
No fun if we cant have a pop at the pond, mind I think you enjoy
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:55 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:15 pm And before he makes any Norfolk comments I should point out that I'm almost hoomun.
They do the foo, hoomun, coocumber thing round here too! Someone we know even calls a female sheep an "oo". :rofl:
My Mrs hates it when I talk like a 'fen-man'.

I'm not from Spalding, I just reside here. I'm from the home counties, don't you know! :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm No fun if we cant have a pop at the pond, mind I think you enjoy
I know you all love me really (well most)! :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am

ShortieMcClaire, out of interest, would you be interested in an automatic?
Long story but basically I finished doing up a lovely black 3.0i auto and foolishly let my wife drive it yesterday. now she wants it!
But that means we need to sell her 2.5i automatic.
I bought it for her 3 years ago as a Valentine's present, have done all the usual maintenance, full suspension change, engine ork, moved the roof motor into the boot., LED interior lights and loads more.
It also has a 'Bury' contraption that allows you to link your phone for hands free etc.
It's Sterling Grey.
I need to clean it and get some photos done but thought I'd check first. If auto is not your thing then I won't rush.
It's done 104k and I'd be looking for around £4000.
Here's a couple of photos to give you some idea.
30 Jan 22a.JPG
30 Jan 22a.JPG (77.63 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG (241.95 KiB) Viewed 290 times
East Harling woods 24 Apr 21.JPG
East Harling woods 24 Apr 21.JPG (254.07 KiB) Viewed 290 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ShortieMcClaire

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by ShortieMcClaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:11 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am ShortieMcClaire, out of interest, would you be interested in an automatic?
Long story but basically I finished doing up a lovely black 3.0i auto and foolishly let my wife drive it yesterday. now she wants it!
I bought it for her 3 years ago as a Valentine's present, have done all the usual maintenance, full suspension change, engine ork, moved the roof motor into the boot., LED interior lights and loads more.
It also has a 'Bury' contraption that allows you to link your phone for hands free etc.
It's Sterling Grey.
I need to clean it and get some photos done but thought I'd check first. If auto is not your thing then I won't rush.
30 Jan 22a.JPG
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG
she’s lovely but I’m looking for one that’s done less miles & one that’s maby a bit different….I love the red leather interiors & the front & rear spoilers. Thanks so much for thinking of me though. The orange re spray with all the bells & whistles was right up my street but he’s sold it😞

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:16 am

ShortieMcClaire wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:11 am
enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:03 am ShortieMcClaire, out of interest, would you be interested in an automatic?
It's Sterling Grey.
30 Jan 22a.JPG
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG
she’s lovely but I’m looking for one that’s done less miles & one that’s maby a bit different….I love the red leather interiors & the front & rear spoilers. Thanks so much for thinking of me though. The orange re spray with all the bells & whistles was right up my street but he’s sold it😞
Fully understand all that and as the owner of an orange E89 I agree with you.
All I would say is don't get too hung up on mileage. These engines will go past 250k no problem with a bit of tlc.
Find one that has been well maintained and it will be fine.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ShortieMcClaire

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by ShortieMcClaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:22 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:16 am
It's Sterling Grey.
30 Jan 22a.JPG
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG
Fully understand all that and as the owner of an orange E89 I agree with you.
All I would say is don't get too hung up on mileage. These engines will go past 250k no problem with a bit of tlc.
Find one that has been well maintained and it will be fine.
ok- thanks for that bit of advice, makes a difference to my search as I always thought best to get a lower mileage

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:23 am

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:54 pm No fun if we cant have a pop at the pond, mind I think you enjoy
I know you all love me really (well most)! :D
Most people - are we certain, is Mrs Drew on that list :rofl:

N4LLY

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by N4LLY » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:27 am

It's Sterling Grey.
30 Jan 22a.JPG
Old Buck 12 Jun 21.JPG
Shame you missed out on the Orange E85 :( That was a cracker.

Re-spray enuff_zed, Motor :D

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:36 am

ShortieMcClaire wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:22 am ok- thanks for that bit of advice, makes a difference to my search as I always thought best to get a lower mileage
There is always a balance of course, but 100k on a 20-y-o car is only 5k per year in reality.
If you get a really low mileage one you can encounter a different set of problems as parts can dry out, corrode, you don't know how long old oil and coolant has sat still in them, internal condensation, etc, etc.
Very high mileage then obviously you start to get components wearing out.
Somewhere in between, with evidence of works carried out, is a good bet. This is why we are all suggesting forum cars as they are, in the main, well looked after.
For the older 6-cylinder engine (the M54) then I would suggest that anything between 60k and 120k would be ok, with more evidence of maintenance needed as you move to the to end of that range. Some more cautious people would advise you to go lower.
So far I have had 5 E85s. Mileages have been 104k, 112k, 118k, 112k and this last one which I got stupidly cheap is on 149k, but still purrs.
I have never (touch wood) had any engine issues other than preventative maintenance, couple of top cover gasket leaks and one starter motor change.

ShortieMcClaire

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by ShortieMcClaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:51 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:36 am
ShortieMcClaire wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:22 am ok- thanks for that bit of advice, makes a difference to my search as I always thought best to get a lower mileage
There is always a balance of course, but 100k on a 20-y-o car is only 5k per year in reality.
If you get a really low mileage one you can encounter a different set of problems as parts can dry out, corrode, you don't know how long old oil and coolant has sat still in them, internal condensation, etc, etc.
Very high mileage then obviously you start to get components wearing out.
Somewhere in between, with evidence of works carried out, is a good bet. This is why we are all suggesting forum cars as they are, in the main, well looked after.
For the older 6-cylinder engine (the M54) then I would suggest that anything between 60k and 120k would be ok, with more evidence of maintenance needed as you move to the to end of that range. Some more cautious people would advise you to go lower.
So far I have had 5 E85s. Mileages have been 104k, 112k, 118k, 112k and this last one which I got stupidly cheap is on 149k, but still purrs.
I have never (touch wood) had any engine issues other than preventative maintenance, couple of top cover gasket leaks and one starter motor change.
great advice- thanks so much. I obviously would rather buy one on the forum but I’ll need to sell my mini (which is currently in the garage) then start looking properly. Joining this forum has been invaluable & also knowing my neighbour has one & is also pretty handy🤷‍♀️😂😂

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am

ShortieMcClaire, as enuff_zed, said, don't get hung up too much on mileage, proper maintenance is far more important and also you have already stated you have a very low weekly mileage.

enuff_zed's, car sounds ideal imo, we are getting some decent weather for once so now's the time to get into a soft top and it is I imagine at the bottom end of your budget. Nothing to stop you "upgrading" in the future when budget allows.
Whilst I understand your desire for certain colours/trim etc, it limits your market and often means a buyer picking a poorer example of a car as it is the colour they wanted.

Have you managed to get a drive in a ZED yet?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ShortieMcClaire

Newbie looking for a Z4

Post by ShortieMcClaire » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:46 am

Not yet but thinking of asking my neighbour for a wee shot in his but he knows that I drive everything like I stole it so not sure if he’ll be keen🫣👀😂