Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MagSafe charger

Discussing the current generation Z4
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

MagSafe charger

Post by Nanu » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:09 pm

I don't have a compatible phone but my Apple Airpods are compatible according to the handbook. Has anyone else had issues with the charger? My Airpods won't charge at all.

Am I right in assuming you don't have to have a particular package and the Magsafe charger in the car is standard so should work?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

baljemmett

MagSafe charger

Post by baljemmett » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:41 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:09 pm Am I right in assuming you don't have to have a particular package and the Magsafe charger in the car is standard so should work?
No, it's part of the 'Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging' option, which can (could?) be selected either on its own or as part of the Technology Pack.

I don't have it on mine (thanks, component shortages!), but I believe there's a visual clue whether you have it or not - in the middle of the rubber base of the tray should be an impressed phone-like rectangle. It might have some radiating arcs like the Wifi logo above to it to indicate NFC (Digital Key) support; wireless charging is shown by a battery icon with a lightning bolt in the middle. There'll also be an indicator LED to the left-hand side of the tray if it supports wireless charging.

F1SpaceMonkey

MagSafe charger

Post by F1SpaceMonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:08 am

isn't Magsafe a propriety Apple design/solution to their laptops? Unsure what you mean or what you're trying to do/say. As above, though - the wireless charging pad is part of the tech pack. Have it in my current BMW but never use it as it doesn't really charge that well and decided a cradle/USB wire is far more usable for the iPhone.

bonzo

MagSafe charger

Post by bonzo » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:33 am

The wireless charging pad in the G29 should be investigated by trading standards. It's absolutely s***.

Colin_E

MagSafe charger

Post by Colin_E » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:03 pm

I doubt that the BMW wireless charger is actually 'Magsafe' which is an Apple technology that uses magnets to position and hold a device whilst wirelessly charging. Confusingly Airpods aren't 'magsafe' either but will charge on nearly all wireless chargers I've come across - Apple or otherwise & including magsafe chargers. Positioning is key - place the airpod case just a few mm offcentre and it doesn't register or charge. If;
a) you know the airpods will charge wirelessly on another charger (my first set didn't and had to be returned) AND
b) you've experimented with positioning the case & still don't get the charging LED on the case to light
then I guess either wireless charging isn't present on the car or is faulty.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

MagSafe charger

Post by Nanu » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:20 pm

Thanks guys, I can’t see me using the option that often anyway but it’s nice to know if I have it that it’s working. Will play around with it and see if it’s working. Might pop into the stealership when I am next passing and get them to test it. :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

MagSafe charger

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:09 pm

Nanu wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:20 pm Thanks guys, I can’t see me using the option that often anyway but it’s nice to know if I have it that it’s working. Will play around with it and see if it’s working. Might pop into the stealership when I am next passing and get them to test it. :thumbsup:
Was out briefly in the car tonight and took a couple of pictures

First empty tray with emblem and second one when phone is seated in the tray. Blue light (circled in yellow) goes on as soon as the phone is placed in the tray and charging appears on the phone. All without the ignition on HTH

And yes I know it’s dusty but I did 750+ miles roof down over the weekend :P
Attachments
88213639-E3C1-4264-B5F3-AB5F1EB031F9.jpeg
88213639-E3C1-4264-B5F3-AB5F1EB031F9.jpeg (91.12 KiB) Viewed 330 times
128FE085-DB94-44F5-968F-EF9BDAAB32A7.jpeg
128FE085-DB94-44F5-968F-EF9BDAAB32A7.jpeg (142.91 KiB) Viewed 330 times

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

baljemmett

MagSafe charger

Post by baljemmett » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:22 pm

For comparison, here's mine - no wireless charging option, so no LED or battery/lightning bolt icon:
    Smartphone tray with NFC but no wireless charging
    Smartphone tray with NFC but no wireless charging
    DSC_0004.JPG (166.25 KiB) Viewed 322 times
    I'm pretty sure mine does have Digital Key, hence the NFC emblem - this was somewhat of a surprise, since it was specifically listed as deleted on my order due to the parts shortages. Didn't get a key card, though, and I don't have a phone that's supported by the app so can't test it; however the relevant menu options are present and I got a 'welcome to BMW Digital Key' email on collection day... The feature appears to come as part of the Comfort Access option, which in turn is only available in the Comfort Pack, so there are conceivably at least four part variations for the smartphone tray - Digital Key, wireless charging, both, and neither!

(Edited to add: actually I'm talking rot there; belatedly realised that wireless charging implies NFC support so that the charger and phone can recognise each other, hence "wireless charging but no Digital Key" would still have the NFC gubbins and symbol. Plain, with-NFC and with-both all show up as options on RealOEM though.)