Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CSL Airbox

"M" Specific discussion
Justino

CSL Airbox

Post by Justino » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:25 pm

So...I've long hankered after fitting one - or a replica at least, and having removed the oe airbox to get at the broken starter motor, I am wondering if now is the time, rather than refit the oe back after I get the starter motor.

Having got this far, I am assuming its relatively straightforward fitting, CSL dip stick tube needed, but are there any other pitfalls I need to be aware of.

I was leaning towards the Geoff Steel box - do these need modding for the Z4 as designed for the M3??

Help me make the right decision....

Cheers
2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2017 Audi A6 Avant Quattro 3.0 BiTdi
2003 Clio 172 Cup

Jon2215

CSL Airbox

Post by Jon2215 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi,got Geoff Steel air box on mine,dipstick tube was modified to suit.
Only change on mine was the inlet rubbers on throttle bodies on mine had to be changed due to larger diameter on later s54.
Areeve performance in kings Lynn fitted and mapped to Alpha N.
2007 M Coupe
Interlagos Blue,Sepang leather,carbon leather trim

NLW73

CSL Airbox

Post by NLW73 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:00 pm

as jon said it will need to be de Maffing and re map for the additional air and changes.

and then never listen to music or radio ever again ;-)

beanie

CSL Airbox

Post by beanie » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:21 pm

I think you can either bend or swivel the existing dipstick tube so it can still be accessed without removing the pre-filter part of the box. The csl had a digital oil level display I believe so manual checking wasn’t deemed as critical.
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Mikey_Boy

CSL Airbox

Post by Mikey_Boy » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:43 am

Get it done..............! :thumbsup:

Love my CSL airbox - the noise is worth every penny. You will need a re-map, different inlet rubbers and some wiring changes to go from MAF to air temp sensor but that's easy stuff. The dipstick can be swiveled around as Beanie details above. Some good threads on here for guidance. 8)

NLW73

CSL Airbox

Post by NLW73 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:25 am

not sure where you are based but BMR in dartford are a great indy

fitted my airbag plus done the de MAF and re map.

they build a lot of race cars with the big airbag and fast road cars too.

I love mine and the noise is addictive.

Justino

CSL Airbox

Post by Justino » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:30 pm

Thanks, I was considering a DIY job seen as I have the existing airbox off to fit the new starter motor.

I'm aware it needs mapping, I was thinking it would be fine to fit and drive to a mappers as it defaults to a standard map if it doesn't get a reading from the MAF

Seems I need to do some more research on what happens to the MAF wiring, and the throttle body rubbers.
2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2003 Clio 172 Cup

Justino

CSL Airbox

Post by Justino » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 pm

On the MAF delete and wiring, I have found this to attach the new IAT to the MAF wiring without cutting anything
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5974 ... ation-kit/

Also available on ebay in the UK - anyone have any experience of these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265737988222

Can spin dip stick through 180 degrees apparently, and about 5 cm needs trimming from the snorkel.

Also CSL intake rubbers needed and clips - 3 and 4
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_3517

Maybe some cable brackets required, but thats minor stuff.

Getting closer to pressing the button.
2008 Z4MR Silver Grey
2003 Clio 172 Cup

Mikey_Boy

CSL Airbox

Post by Mikey_Boy » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:10 pm

The wiring is pretty simple for the MAF - you are deleting all the wires except the ones in the MAF that measure air temperature, so an adapter such as the Turner one is a good thing to get if you are thinking of going back to standard. What is important is the temperature sensor itself - I used an OEM E46 CSL item. If you do a search on here, you should be able to find the part number.

I turned my dipstick towards the rear of the engine bay and made a bracket to support the dipstick to the engine - no trimming required! :thumbsup:

Those look like the right rubbers and clips - investing in a set of pliers to undo and tighten the clips is a good small investment of about £15 if I recall...

It's an easy DIY job honestly to fit the box - get that button pressed!! 8)

Martyn

CSL Airbox

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm

Loads of guys on cutters have used the plug and play IAT loom from eBay, it’s a nice solution.

The IAT sensor type depends on the box you buy. The GSR box takes the screw type sensor, Karbonious takes the push fit CSL sensor.

The scaling for the later is different so needs to be adjusted by your tuner.

Trimming the snorkel is fine, it’s not idea though which is why I designed and 3d printed my own. :thumbsup:

beanie

CSL Airbox

Post by beanie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Can you use the existing air shut off valve or do you need the CSL version? Might just be different routing of the vac pipes but I’m not sure.

https://www.hackengineering.co.uk/prod ... 617833647/
RUBYIMOLACARBON

Martyn

CSL Airbox

Post by Martyn » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:22 pm

Shutoff valve can be reused you just need to replace the hardline with some silicone vac hose.

Vanne

CSL Airbox

Post by Vanne » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 am

Depending on which box you get, try and put the iat sensor as far away from the engine as possible. Look for the coolest spot in the airflow.
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3