Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replace broken Clips on Rear Speaker Cover ?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 am

New-to-me '06 Z4 Coupe with Nav and DSP audio.

Three of four clips holding the left side rear speaker cover behind the driver seat are broken off. They are very thin plastic molded in the outline of a hollow arrow - an inverted "Vee" on top of two "posts" and a base that is stuck onto the back edge of the speaker cover.

From RealOEM.com I retrieved BMW part number 51437055053 - but the suppliers selling this part are asking $310 to $341 each, and I suspect that this means the cover is not separately, but is bundled with the enclosure behind and maybe even the OE speaker.

I would like to replace only the clips - IF I can find some similar. Has anyone else run into this issue ? Source of new clips ? If not, I may need to invent a hook-and-loop solution or something similar.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:59 am

Looking at realoem the clips, nr 17 on the diagram are greyed out and propbably nowadays only sold as part of nr 15. Looking at my dealers pages these now cost a whopping €272, while realoem listed only $50. My best bet would be trying the dealers if they had a treasury of clips, or to find a second hand part. 3D printing may also be viable.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Z4Mariner

Post by Z4Mariner » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:25 pm

Thanks for input !

I already need to contact my local dealer and request a copy of BMW dealer-performed maintenance records. I'll see what they have to say about retainers, clips, and fasteners.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT