Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hello there!

First port of call for new members
LemonConnoisseur

Hello there!

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:35 am

Greetings all.

I picked up my first Z4 Coupe last night from another forum member, HGoward, which I am over the moon with!

I'd wanted a Z4 years ago, but a 130i came up at the right price, so I bought that instead but always had the yearning for one of these little beauties. I've historically had a variety of E36s, with the most recent one being a full-blown track car that I have to accept that I went too far with.

Unfortunately I'm cursed with the modifying bug, which is quite the issue for my bank balance, but oh well.

It's great to see an actual forum still existing, and not the usual Facebook groups. I look forward to using all the handy guides that have been created by the fellow members :D

The car itself is a Sapphire Black E86 with a few modifications already. My overall plan with the car is to make something OEM+/Clubsport. I do like the odd trackday, and Nurburgring trip, so I want to make something that is still enjoyable on the road but can be a blast when pushed too :driving:

Current modifications are as follows:

Eisenmann Quad backbox (will be going up for sale in the near future)
Z4M rear bumper (I think it's genuine, but will need to check. Also going up for sale in the near future)
Storm Motorworks gearknob & handbrake lever
Bilstein B12 Suspension
Buckley indicator covers
Alcantara wrapped wheel
10mm front spacers/15mm rear spacers

There are a few issues that I've noticed, one being an oil leak from the filter housing. Thankfully Harry included both the oil cooler gasket and filter housing gasket, so they will be changed out soon.

There's a fairly noticeable clunk that comes from the rear end on every gearchange, I believe it's going to be either gearbox or diff mounts, but I'm happy to be pointed in another direction if anyone has experience with this :)

Finally there's the classic steering issue. I've never driven another Z4 with EPS so I'm not sure of the severity of mine, but on the motorway the steering frequently feels like it's adjusting itself very slightly/going light. My plan of action is to adjust the ring under the column, but I'm not really sure which way to go (towards the front or back of the car) to sort it out. Again, any advice welcome!

That's enough waffling anyway, look forward to contributing to the forum! Once I've started work on the car I'll create a project thread, as well as get some proper pictures up. This is the only one I took yesterday on the way home.

Sam
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg (267.18 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Last edited by LemonConnoisseur on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HGoward

Hello there!

Post by HGoward » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am

It was a shame to see it go. But I know its in good hands with someone that will enjoy it just as much as I did in my year and a half of ownership. Now onto the M240 which I put a deposit down on yesterday.
Sapphire Black E86 LN56 ZKJ Purchased Jan 2021 - Sold June 2022
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

Chippie

Hello there!

Post by Chippie » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am

Welcome to the forum Sam, looks like you’re pretty clued up on the modding front but there’s always plenty of advice on here to help you spend your money well done with the photo as well, looks great I’m sure you will love it.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

LemonConnoisseur

Hello there!

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:48 am

HGoward wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 am It was a shame to see it go. But I know its in good hands with someone that will enjoy it just as much as I did in my year and a half of ownership. Now onto the M240 which I put a deposit down on yesterday.
Cheers Harry, I know you'll love the M240, but it'll be a very different car!
Chippie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am Welcome to the forum Sam, looks like you’re pretty clued up on the modding front but there’s always plenty of advice on here to help you spend your money well done with the photo as well, looks great I’m sure you will love it.
Thanks Chippie :D

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Hello there!

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:58 am

Welcome to the forum Sam. found your self a fine looking z4 there. 8) :thumbsup:

LemonConnoisseur

Hello there!

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:13 am

buzyg wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:58 am Welcome to the forum Sam. found your self a fine looking z4 there. 8) :thumbsup:
Thanks Buzyg :thumbsup:

N4LLY

Hello there!

Post by N4LLY » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:40 pm

Most excellent ! Congrat's :thumbsup:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Hello there!

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Welcome aboard.
Though you may be a connoisseur of lemons, I'm pretty certain you haven't bought one. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Hello there!

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:49 pm

Hi, and welcome.
Enjoy your modding/alterations.
Although I would hang onto the Eisseman exhaust personally,although race spec can be a bit droney,so understanding your reasons there.

Have fun driving it,looks smart :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

LemonConnoisseur

Hello there!

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Thanks all! I have indeed bought a lot of lemons in the past, here's hoping my luck has finally changed with this one!
craig3.2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:49 pm
Although I would hang onto the Eisseman exhaust personally,although race spec can be a bit droney,so understanding your reasons there.
Honestly it's nothing to do with the sound - it sounds awesome! No drone, some slight pops/crackles on decel. I think it's the Sport version.

The only reason I want to get rid of it is from a visual perspective. I'm weird in the sense that I don't like the rear to look like an M when it's not :|

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Hello there!

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:00 pm

LemonConnoisseur wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 pm Thanks all! I have indeed bought a lot of lemons in the past, here's hoping my luck has finally changed with this one!

Ah,cool. Get what you mean. The Sport is the quieter of the two, that's why I thought it may have been the Race. But Sports one sounds nice.

Good luck with your mods,etc
craig3.2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:49 pm
Honestly it's nothing to do with the sound - it sounds awesome! No drone, some slight pops/crackles on decel. I think it's the Sport version.

The only reason I want to get rid of it is from a visual perspective. I'm weird in the sense that I don't like the rear to look like an M when it's not :|
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Schaef

Hello there!

Post by Schaef » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:27 pm

Welcome and that looks great, have a lot of driving fun.

1536Z4

Hello there!

Post by 1536Z4 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:25 pm

LemonConnoisseur wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:35 am clunk that comes from the rear end
Hello and welcome . It could also be diff input flange : viewtopic.php?t=127598
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

DMike

Hello there!

Post by DMike » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:08 pm

Hello and welcome. Those refurbed wheel’s colour combo suit the car really well!
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Hello there!

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:59 am

Hello and welcome to the forum
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.