Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Should you use sealant when replacing the rocker cover gasket?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
GOM

Post by GOM » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 am

Now then,

I will be replacing my rocker cover gasket soon (2004 3.0i) and after doing some research, am still not certain if you need to use some sealant at certain points or not.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Paul

G600

Post by G600 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:57 am

Just round the half moons at the front, mainly where there's a slight step in the head casting
E85 3.0

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:13 am

Agreed. There is a sharp angle where those half moons meet the flat part of the outer face and the seal has trouble pushing right into the corner. So a dab of sealant in those corners helps. Front and back I think.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am

Blue Hylomar sealant applied around the half moon shapes front and rear of the cover where the gasket changes direction and between the Vanos between the two front half moons. Its detailed in the BMW TIS worksheet to do this when replacing the gasket.
Bolts torque is 11Nm.
Some models also have round rubber seals under the cover retaining bolts, these should also be replaced with the main and inner plug well gaskets when doing a replacement job. The round bolt seals go as hard as the main gaskets and need to be compressed to achieve a good seal.
Last edited by colb on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 pm

colb wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am Ble Hylomar sealant applied around the half moon shapes front and rear of the cover where the gasket changes direction and between the Vanos between the two front half moons. Its detailed in the BMW TIS worksheet to do this when replacing the gasket.
Bolts torque is 11Nm.
Some models also have round rubber seals under the cover retaining bolts, these should also be replaced with the main and inner plug well gaskets when doing a replacement job. The round bolt seals go as hard as the main gaskets and need to be compressed to achieve a good seal.
Blue Hylomar ! Wow ! Proper old school :D Think back in the day my old Minis and Alfas were held together with that stuff :rofl:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

G600

Post by G600 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm

patriot66 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 pm Blue Hylomar ! Wow ! Proper old school :D Think back in the day my old Minis and Alfas were held together with that stuff :rofl:
Not that old school, still used on jet engines!
I used high temp RTV for the gasket though
E85 3.0

colb

Post by colb » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am

Knew Blue Hylomar was used by Rolls Royce on their jet engines and have always used it on my cars without any issues, its only used around the half moon shapes on the cam cover, the rest of the gasket has a ribbed surface that provides a series of sealing points when its tightened down. Thats why its best to replace the round rubber seals under the cover retaining bolts so they compress and torque down the cover to ensure a good seal. The old seals will go hard with age and prevent a good seal being applied.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

GOM

Post by GOM » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:41 pm

Excellent, thank you everyone for your responses!! :D