Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good deal on a coupe?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bristolcot90

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by Bristolcot90 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:45 pm

I am somewhat in the market for a 3.0, I’ve had some fun with my 2.0 sport and enjoyed fixing the niggles etc. it came with but now I’m feeling the thirst for a 3.0 and possibly a coupe.

I came across this on auto trader, is it known to anyone? What are peoples general gut feel when it comes to CAT cars?

Obviously it will never be worth as much as non crash damaged cars but a good deal for someone who wants one for life? It does need some TLC though!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... -option=on
E85 2.0i sport Monaco blue
Daily - VW T-roc

Special Kay

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by Special Kay » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 pm

On the surface, it looks like a nice car, it would be helpful if they could provide details of what the damage was and what was repaired. I think for the cost, it will definitely be worth getting an AA/RAC inspection carried out asap. Good luck mate :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:11 pm

Cat status wouldnt bother me on an old car like this - low miles and auto it seems great value.

If you are worried, get an independant inspection done , i'd have no hesitation with that one if it drove well and i got a good vibe from the dealer, but i know these cars inside out and there isnt much that suprises me when stripping one down :thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

lucasxdiniz

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by lucasxdiniz » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:13 pm

I won't comment on CAT cars, but generally speaking about my Z4s - don't give up on a lot of things (spec wise) because of mileage. The great majority of things I've had to fix on my car was oil leaks. Gaskets will perish over time regardless of mileage, so a lower mileage N52 won't necessarily be any better in that regard. Clutch and suspension will not be as worn, sure, but stock suspension is very poor and depending on how it was driven a car with 100k miles can have better suspension than a car with 30k less miles (this was the case of my E85 vs E86). Clutch on our cars are very durable.

Now to get an idea if that is a good deal or not, I'd consider the following to compare the car you linked to the greater majority of Z4s that come through the forum:

That car doesn't have M-sport seats - £800-1000 for a good pair
Automatic is probably £1k or so less than an equivalent manual
CAT cars as a rule of thumb are 20-25% cheaper

So you should be comparing it against cars that cost ~£10500. I'd not consider that particular car a good deal personally.
Z4MC: Interlagos Blue | Individual Champagne
Z4C: Montego Blue | Individual Champagne | LSD
Z4 2.5i: Midnight Blue | Beige Interior

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by Zedebee » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm

It was cat C in 2014 and has been used daily since then (which seems unlikely if it’s only covered 54k miles in total, but hey-ho), so mechanically the fact that it’s cat C shouldn’t be an issue. All other things being equal, you’ll get a coupe for 60% of the money and no one looking at it would know. Make sure you know what you are getting into though.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Good deal on a coupe?

Post by jamie_z4 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:32 pm

Zedebee wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm It was cat C in 2014 and has been used daily since then (which seems unlikely if it’s only covered 54k miles in total, but hey-ho), so mechanically the fact that it’s cat C shouldn’t be an issue. All other things being equal, you’ll get a coupe for 60% of the money and no one looking at it would know. Make sure you know what you are getting into though.
:thumbsup:
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.