Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Urgent help with new car

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:14 pm

I think he should be made aware of the implications!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

CryptoWhale

Urgent help with new car

Post by CryptoWhale » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Thanks all. I have made him aware that I want a refund before the car is taken away. Best he came back with was 'you can come to the office with the car and get an immediate refund via the card machine'. In all honestly, I think the guy is full of sh*t and doesn't even have the money in his account.

Essentially my options are as follows;

Let him repair the car - Don't trust him or the garage he uses one bit though.
Let him take the car and refund me 3-5 days later - Again, don't trust this one bit
Keep the car, get it to the local garage and have them change the rear axle. Hope and pray this is all that's wrong with the car

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Option 4 - call Trading Standards for advice.
He's making it difficult to put you off and now you're starting to think of alternatives.
If he wins then the next time someone could get killed.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:41 pm

Sounds like he is attempting to Bully you into a result that suits him!

Ask him if he wishes to go down the formal route?

He sold you a faulty car with a dodgy Mot cert which is only days old.

He is skating on thin ice if you go official.

DVSA Intelligence Unit
[email protected]
Telephone: 0800 030 4103
Monday to Friday, 7:30am to 6pm

N4LLY

Urgent help with new car

Post by N4LLY » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:05 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:46 pm https://www.gov.uk/guidance/report-an-mot-tester

Depending on how serious the offence is the tester or centre could be:

banned from carrying out MOTs
fined
given a prison sentence
+ 1 :thumbsup:

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 pm

Call his bluff, he thinks you are weak and because he runs a business that he can make you do what he wants and push you around. I have come up against this many times since starting a business, please don’t fall for it and let him get away with it, IMO I don’t think he has any intention of giving you back your money, he can’t be trusted this is obvious from his behaviour so far. All the legal cards are in your hands. If you think he doesn’t have the money to pay you back you have nothing to lose and you can use the small claims court to sue him for the money.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:38 pm

Oh and don’t go to his office, your on his turf and he has the upper hand, also he will try to intimidate you. If you have no choice DO NOT go alone.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 pm

Yep to the above :thumbsup:
Sounds like bully boy tactics to me.

Money back or you will go official. As above, you have the small claims court and the Bailiffs as a fallback plan.

As for days to process the cash..... you can make transfers via a mobile phone these days!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:05 pm

CryptoWhale wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm Thanks all. I have made him aware that I want a refund before the car is taken away. Best he came back with was 'you can come to the office with the car and get an immediate refund via the card machine'. In all honestly, I think the guy is full of sh*t and doesn't even have the money in his account.

Let him take the car and refund me 3-5 days later - Again, don't trust this one bit
Keep the car, get it to the local garage and have them change the rear axle. Hope and pray this is all that's wrong with the car
Even if you wanted to, you can't take the car back as it's undriveable! I've never heard of a refund on a card when you didn't pay by card, either!

You could go to his place with the keys and V5 for the civic dump them on him and demand your money there and then.

I would go back to him for one last time saying that you are getting legal advice on your rights, then tell him you are reporting him to trading standards and the MOT tester to the DVSA. I would also tell him you have spoken to a trusted local MOT tester who is going to give the car a once over on your drive and you will pass this information onto the relevant authorities.

If that doesn't do the trick then my next call would be to the Citizen's Advice Bureau and ask the best way forward. Then call the world and his dog (mainly trading standards and DVSA) and tell them your story. I would also call your local cop shop, as I'm pretty sure someone has broken a law or two here.
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:06 pm

Exactly :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by Pondrew » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:12 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 pm As for days to process the cash..... you can make transfers via a mobile phone these days!
The only companies who do this are ones who deal with multiple transactions every hour. The refunds are computer-generated so all information has to be in order for the system to issue them. I doubt a back street car dealer has that kind of sophisticated computer set-up. Sounds like he heard it in the pub, so uses it as an excuse for delaying tactics.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:19 pm

And don’t show any sign of compromise !
He has tried to stitch you up like a kipper and put you at risk in a dangerous, bodged up jallopy with a dodgy /fiddled MOT cert

You currently hold the trump card - ie the evidence!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:40 pm

CryptoWhale wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:27 pm Thanks all. I have made him aware that I want a refund before the car is taken away. Best he came back with was 'you can come to the office with the car and get an immediate refund via the card machine'. In all honestly, I think the guy is full of sh*t and doesn't even have the money in his account.

I’m going to be honest, and it might not be agreeable to some members but hey ho. I may also add this was going to be my response much earlier in the day but got caught up.

I’d be dropping him an email to an address registered to the business insisting on a full refund for being sold an unroadworthy car which is quite clearly not fit for purpose and you have NO idea how it passed a recent MOT.

Get that response in writing. Then, now this is ME, I would be informing him by phone that I, along with my two brothers, would be accompanying the car when it was collected and expect an immediate refund, non of this 3-5 days pish!!! And you will be retaining the keys and paperwork until the money was cleared in your account. If that did not happen you would be phoning the police, trading standards and VOSA while standing in their lot and remaining with the car until one or other turned up.

A very similar thing happened to me with a car I bought in London. I very lightly scratched it and phoned for a touch up pen. Gave the dealer the paint code, “no problem sir, a blue touch up pen will be on its way to you shortly” I was looking out the window at the time, my new car was quite clearly grey :headbang: :headbang:

Phoned the garage told them they’d sold me a ringer, didn’t care if it was them or had been passed on to them unwittingly, me my two brothers and two cousins would be down on Saturday for a full refund plus £500 for inconvenience or I’d be making the calls I suggested earlier. We were in London for them opening at 9am Saturday, had the money, including the additional £500 (cash) and we’re out the door by 9:20 am. They wanted this kept quiet more than I did.

I know there was the baseball bat comment made in jest earlier, I’m the same but not so much in jest. There’s no way you can trust an outfit who treated you like this in the first place selling you that car. I wouldn’t let them near it to repai, wouldn’t keep it either as you don’t know what else they’ve bodged. Let’s not make any bones about this, their desire to make an easy couple of £££’s could’ve killed you, your passengers or anyone you collided with if that’d happened at 70 mph instead of sitting on your drive.

All IMHO and as already said likely not many peoples way of dealing with it, but you can take the boy out of Glasgow but…………… :D

Oh, and the MOT tester, would get banned, fined at an absolute minimum for that level of incompetency, I actually wonder if they physically had the car at all

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:48 pm

plus one :thumbsup: But you need some big and imposing mates for this to work.

MikeyH
    Lifer
    Lifer

Urgent help with new car

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:50 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:48 pm plus one :thumbsup: But you need some big and imposing mates for this to work.
    with Glasgow accents :rofl: :thumbsup: