Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen washer delay

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TheDan

Windscreen washer delay

Post by TheDan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:23 pm

Recently I've been having a minor issue with my windscreen washer. When I pull (and hold) the stalk to wash there is about a 2-3 second delay where you can hear the pump but no water is coming out the jets. When it does eventually spray there is no issue with the spray/pressure. The washer bottle is also full, so not an issue with empty bottle. I thought it could be a clogged filter, but surely the spray would be a dribble if that was the case?

Let me know if any of you guys have had this issue before?

SonnyA85

Windscreen washer delay

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:00 am

Possibly the pipe has a minor leak?

As in it drains a bit when not in use and the next time you use it needs to fill up again before spray reaches the nozzles.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Windscreen washer delay

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:10 am

As above, but it could also be debris settling that the pump has to shift first.
Definitely clean the filters too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TheDan

Windscreen washer delay

Post by TheDan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:41 am

Thanks both. I'll take the reservoir out, clean the filters, remove the pipes and check them. Not actually taken the reservoir off on the Z4 before, is it pretty easy to do? Do you know if there are any write ups/images anywhere on forum?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Windscreen washer delay

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 am

Dead easy.
One bolt at the top.
You will need to wriggle the connectors around and the hoses.
I try to pull the pumps out but leave everything connected to them. Little bit fiddly but no great problems really.

Other thing I thought of................. is there a non-return valve in the line somewhere to stop it draining back? Maybe that has a bit of crud holding it open (if there is one?)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Windscreen washer delay

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:33 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:14 am is there a non-return valve in the line somewhere
Well they didn't think to put one in below the level of the tank... but that doesn't mean a different team didn't over-engineer the lines above :lol:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.