Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Connection wire harness on right side

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Appeaser

Post by Appeaser » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:07 pm

Working on relocation of the convertible motor with the mustang setup. In putting everything back together I don't remember if I left a wire harness under the right side or not. On the right side there is a connector that holds two plug connectors (see pic below). On the left side I plug in one wire harness from the roof. The question is what plugs into the right side of this plug the one with the red wire and black stripe?
Thanks again for the support....
Attachments
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 206 times

horseless_carriage

Post by horseless_carriage » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:37 am

I can’t remember for certain but I think this is for the hardtop. I’m pretty sure all cars had a wire harness installed for the hard top but you need an additional mounting point kit which plugged into the connector there. There should be another very similar looking connector on the other side.

I think these go to the rear window heater of the hard top (and also probably detect that the hard top is there so you can’t accidentally raise the convertible top).
2008 BMW Z4 3.0i Convertible (e85 - US version)

Appeaser

Post by Appeaser » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Horse_carriage
Check this out when you go a moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k31nU0FWmtE at timeline 8:02 Pray4Urlife12 notes there is only wire harness on the right-side roof

and:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y94dSNM3fU at timeline 3:11 CSI Motors say there are two wire harness on the right side

Question do you think I may just have the 1 wire harness? I just finished up the Mustang retro conversion and the top will go up and down correctly with the right buttons. I bought this car and the roof did not work I would only get the RED LED blinking come on when I would try to lower the top. After the mod the top will go down but the LED is still red; is this normal operation? I would think it should be green.
Regards!
Attachments
IMG_1929.jpg
IMG_1929.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 139 times