Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First port of call for new members
SB73

Post by SB73 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Thanks enuff_zed for the feedback and advice.
Removed the black plastic cover this morning, the brass plunger was still able to move and not seized. Tried the roof with the black plastic cover for the Bowden removed - still the same, no movement from the roof :(
The roof has not worked since the previous owner replaced the pump. He replaced the motor and spacer block, not the pump head - i know this as i have the old units).
How do i check to see if the pump head is ok and the drive-pin is in place?
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 483 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:06 pm

SB73 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm Thanks enuff_zed for the feedback and advice.
Removed the black plastic cover this morning, the brass plunger was still able to move and not seized. Tried the roof with the black plastic cover for the Bowden removed - still the same, no movement from the roof :(
The roof has not worked since the previous owner replaced the pump. He replaced the motor and spacer block, not the pump head - i know this as i have the old units).
How do i check to see if the pump head is ok and the drive-pin is in place?

IMG_2476.jpg
First line your boot with old rags to catch any oil.
Then undo the two allen-key headed bolts that go up through the spacer and into the pump.
Carefully (very carefully) lift the motor and spacer away from the pump head.
You should see a round white plastic disc in the spacer section. This has a series of holes. In one of those holes there should be a metal pin which engages in a corresponding hole in the pump to turn it. This may fall out as you separate the two parts.
There are also three tiny pins that fit horizontally into the spindle and again may fall out.
If that metal drive pin is missing then the pump will spin the plastic disc but there will be no connection to turn the pump.
It does not matter which of the holes the pin sits in on the disc, as long as it correctly engages in the pump unit.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:49 pm

Just to add to this, I've found there are quite a few videos on line that show how to replace the motor. Watch closely on those and you will see how the drive pin fits.
To clarify a little, it goes into a single hole in a metal circle on the bottom of the pump. It is this disc that contains the the three tiny pins. If you lift it off it's shaft you should see if those pins are there. If they've gone missing then that too will stop it working.
If you do happen to find any of these bits missing then they are hard to replace individually. You could try contacting Alan (Number5) who I believe has accumulated a fair stock of spares having done many, many roof motor jobs. Or Stuart (bigwinn) may be able to help.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

SB73

Post by SB73 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:58 pm

I've taken the pump apart and the drive pin is in place.
Examined the bottom of the pump and have found that only two pins are present - also the metal disc where the drive pin is located does not appear to be concentric with the bearing.
Do you think adding the third horizontal pin will help or does this part of the pump need to be replaced as the disc appears to be off-centre?
IMG_2479 (1).jpg
IMG_2479 (1).jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 436 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Not sure how important the missing pin is, but the offset of the disc looks a bit odd.
Having said that, once the pin is correctly located in the plastic drive disc within the spacer then it would have to hold the whole thing central, or the pin would rip out of the plastic. Check that all looks ok too.
I'm starting to lean towards you needing a new pump tbh. Run out of things to check. Think you have to buy the whole thing. Not sure you can get replacement internal parts.

SB73

Post by SB73 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Plastic disc within the spacer looks to be intact. Should the drive pin have a spring with it?
I'm wondering if the pairing of the hydraulic lines is correct after the relocation of the pump by the previous owner. Is there an identification of the lines that I can follow and ensure they are in the correct ports on the pump?
Attachments
IMG_2480.jpg
IMG_2480.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 399 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:13 am

No spring, just sits in there.
There is a correct order yes, but I'm damned if I can remember it.
Try a search on here as there are definitely photos with the numbers on.

SB73

Post by SB73 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 am

Got the hydraulic line order: 11 & 13 together and 12 & 14 together. The arrangement in the car looks to be ok.
Have located and ordered a replacement motor & pump assembly, this will be with me tomorrow (pump is not available separately).
Fingers crossed this does the trick :wink:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:16 am

SB73 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:37 am Got the hydraulic line order: 11 & 13 together and 12 & 14 together. The arrangement in the car looks to be ok.
Have located and ordered a replacement motor & pump assembly, this will be with me tomorrow (pump is not available separately).
Fingers crossed this does the trick :wink:
Certainly hope it fixes it.
If not then pretty certain you'll find a buyer for it at minimal loss.
Also, you know the existing motor is working ok, so that's a sellable part too.
Would be interested myself actually. :wink:

SB73

Post by SB73 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:23 am

Replacement pump & motor received and fitted this morning = roof now opens and closes quickly :)
Only thing left to do now is work out whey the roof is not latching once open, and to tidy and tuck away the motor assembly in the boot.
enuff_zed - thank you for help & support, really appreciate this - I have sent you a PM.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm

SB73 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:23 am Replacement pump & motor received and fitted this morning = roof now opens and closes quickly :)
Only thing left to do now is work out whey the roof is not latching once open, and to tidy and tuck away the motor assembly in the boot.
enuff_zed - thank you for help & support, really appreciate this - I have sent you a PM.
PM received. chuffed it's sorted.
So does the roof go fully down, but just need a little push to click the lock?
Could possibly be snagging on the catch assembly?
My wife's does the same and after weeks of faffing about I finally saw another car to compare it with and spotted the issue.
With the roof up, look at the outer edge seam of the roof above the top rear corner of the window. There is a strip of reinforcing plastic sewn in there. On ours it had cracked.
This meant that when the roof folded back, the section of material at that point was folding inwards, where it should fold out. That extra fold was enough to stop the roof fitting perfectly flat.
Stop the roof about 2/3 of the way back then check both sides. It's about where the thin strap goes from the material to the frame. If the fabric is folding inwards just pop it out and finish opening the roof.
I'm sure I posted photos on here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:04 pm

Found it. Check my photos in this thread.
viewtopic.php?p=1921648&hilit=roof+fold#p1921648

SB73

Post by SB73 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:09 pm

The roof does go all the way down - it does not latch after being fully lowered.

I have checked the outer edges of the roof and there are cracks and pieces of the reinforcing plastic are missing on both the driver & passenger side. Is there a fix or replacements for these?
Lowered and folded the canvas out as it did start to go in. The roof appeared to be lower, but still didn't latch even with me pressing down on the roof.

Also checked the latch on the top of the roof - not sure if this is correct or needs adjusting?
IMG_2498 (1).jpg
IMG_2498 (1).jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2497.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg (18.35 KiB) Viewed 304 times
IMG_2496 (1).jpg
IMG_2496 (1).jpg (16.15 KiB) Viewed 304 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:14 pm

Sometimes the latch catches and doesn't allow it to fully lock. The facelift did away with it anyway.
I found that removing those two hooks on the latch enabled it to then fit flush and lock.
If you do, then you need to put washers under the screw heads or they'll bottom out before they go tight.
Take a bit of time and watch what catches where first. If it doesn't rattle you may be best to leave well alone.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:08 pm

I don't want to state the obvious but is that a loose screw in the photo?
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.