Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

First port of call for new members
SB73

Post by SB73 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Sharing my new pride & joy, 2003 Z4 E85 2.5i with 94K
Had the car for 2 months now and have gone through the following: wheel refurb, addition of original badges to the bonnet, bonnet & wheels, respray to the front bumper, new aerial, refreshed number plates, new floor mats, replaced lateral acceleration sensor, DIY refurb of the leather seats, engine clean and service :)

One challenge to overcome with the roof - fixed a broken wire in the roof loom, so the motor latches / unlatches and the windows now drop :)

Unfortunately the roof will not lower or raise, red flashing light appears after the roof is unlocked with the instrument button.
Pump was re-located to the boot by the previous owner - I have checked the brass plunger, this was sticking so I have sorted this and have topped the fluid up. I can hear the pump kick-in after the windows have dropped - have also checked the three fuses, these are ok.

Anything else I should be looking at to diagnose?
IMG_2377.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg (55.62 KiB) Viewed 641 times
IMG_2340.jpg
IMG_2340.jpg (48.63 KiB) Viewed 641 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:29 pm

Welcome, nice motor. :thumbsup:
Are you saying the motor is running?
If so, check the fluid level again. The max mark is not enough when it's at a greater angle in the boot. One of the ports is slightly uncovered and it just pumps air.
Pull it into an upright position, take the fill bung out of the top of the reservoir and use a small syringe to keep adding jack oil until it spills out the top. Then seal it all again and put it back in it's new home.
Fingers crossed this may be your only issue.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

SB73

Post by SB73 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback enuf_zed
Once the roof has unlatched and the windows have lowered the pump appears to kick-in (rotation of the white blade).
Have just topped the fluid up as much as possible, unfortunately still no movement from the roof :(
Is there anything else I can look at or try?
IMG_2475.jpg
IMG_2475.jpg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 615 times

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:47 pm

Looking sharp for those miles. Welcome aboard. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi and welcome aboard with your smart looking Z4. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:10 pm

SB73 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:02 pm Thanks for the feedback enuf_zed
Once the roof has unlatched and the windows have lowered the pump appears to kick-in (rotation of the white blade).
Have just topped the fluid up as much as possible, unfortunately still no movement from the roof :(
Is there anything else I can look at or try?

IMG_2475.jpg
Hmmm, well if there's loads of fluid and the bypass valve is definitely not stuck in then the only thing I can think is a failing pump?

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

SB73

Post by SB73 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:48 pm

The pump was replaced in April by the previous owner and relocated to the boot, he thought this was the reason for the roof not working.
I will take another look, just wondering if there is any recommendation on where / who to source a quality pump from?

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:49 pm

Are you sure the bypass valve is sorted? Sometimes the bowden cable may need fine tuning after relocation. Try to undo it for diagnostics?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

SB73

Post by SB73 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm

Thanks DMike.
I'll double check the bypass valve (presume this is the brass plunger?) in the morning.
I have not checked or adjusted the Bowden cable - what do I need to do to undo it?

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:15 pm

Welcome to the forum nice car and colour :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 am

Hi SB73 and welcome to the forum, nice looking Zed, hope you can get the roof sorted easily.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 am

Hello and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:52 am

SB73 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:06 pm Thanks DMike.
I'll double check the bypass valve (presume this is the brass plunger?) in the morning.
I have not checked or adjusted the Bowden cable - what do I need to do to undo it?
Use a small allen key to remove the whole of the black plastic bracketry around the brass plunger.
There'll then be no chance that it is being pushed in.
The plunger only moves a few mm, so double check you can push it in and it pops back out.
Try the motor like that and see.

Has it ever worked since the pump was replaced?
Just wondering if he dropped the little drive pin when swapping it over? Without that the motor will spin but the pump won't turn.

I would also query the pump replacement?
The motor and spacer block look shiny new, but the pump head looks like it's much older.

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:40 pm

All good suggestions coming from other Z4 members regarding remedies for your roof problems. A bit of a long shot on my behalf but is there a possibility of an air lock within the system. I remember when I sorted my roof motor problems on initial start up, after filling the fluid reservoir, it did a few stops and starts before it primed the pipes. It was so bad that on closing it slammed shut quite badly due to air in the system.

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:43 pm

Nice looking Z4 btw, very smart. Same colour as mine, she looks like a little silver bullet...