Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie looking to join the club!

First port of call for new members
Jellybaby38

Post by Jellybaby38 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:41 pm

Afternoon all,
I am in the process of trawling through the various sites looking for my first Z4 - I've loved it since it first came out when I was a teenager as I liked the slightly more aggressive styling than the Z3, an now find myself at a point in life that I can make the excuse to get one!

I must admit to not being particularly car-savvy, and have no idea what I should be looking for between the various iterations of 18i, 20i, 28i, etc, so any advice on the differences is appreciated. And if someone could tell me if any of the numbers correspond to it have the head-up display, which is something I need to have, it would be great. I've looked at a few only to find there's no knob in the centre and have to discount them - found a beautiful blue with tan leather seats only to find out after a few pics that it didn't have it. Almost cried :lol:

Looking forward to joing the club in the next few weeks and enjoying a summer of top-down driving! I have some other questions involving packing the boot for trips/golf/etc, but I'll start a thread for that.

Cheers

JB

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm

Hello and welcome Jellybaby38,

Since you’re quoting te 18i/20i/28i I’m presuming you’re leaning towards the 2 litre 4 pot. The very short answer is they’re almost identical cars with different engine maps producing different outputs. They can all be mapped to the same output easily, around 270/280 bhp without issue.

So if you’re happy to remap a very highly spec’d 18i with a £300 remap is a much better prospect than a 28i with paupers spec. If happy with the remap spec/colour etc is much more important. We get varying responses re remapping, some insurers don’t load at all, some very little (£20 ish)
some won’t touch.

viewtopic.php?t=136030&hilit=Insurance

Re HUD sorry to be the bearer of bad news, none of them have them unless retrofitted :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=135471

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Jellybaby38

Post by Jellybaby38 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:02 pm

Hi Andy,
    I was just quoting numbers as I've seen them - I know there's a 35 in the mix too. Good to know that all those are basically the same. Why would someone go for a 6 cyclinder rather than 4 and vice versa?

Just looked up what you and I mean by heads up display, and I'm using the wrong lingo for sure - I mean the OEM sat nav that pops up out of the dash, rather than the one that projects onto the screen

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:10 pm

Jellybaby38 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:41 pm Looking forward to joing the club in the next few weeks
    Well hello. I am the honorary treasure of the club; my name is Charles Ash. So if you would kindly make a cheque out to CAsh for the sum of £75, I will ensure your membership request is dealt with swiftly.

Joking I am (just in case)! :thumbsup:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Jellybaby38 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:02 pm Just looked up what you and I mean by heads up display, and I'm using the wrong lingo for sure - I mean the OEM sat nav that pops up out of the dash, rather than the one that projects onto the screen
    I-drive pal. :thumbsup:

It was an optional extra on all models (maybe not 35is), so it's just a case of finding a car you like that has it.
    It was a common option, so there are lots of cars that have it out there. Heated seats, parking sensors and cruise control are really useful options and make a car more desirable when selling on. :D
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:24 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Pop up is called iDrive and some want it some don't.

There are 6cyl as 23i / 30i /35i / 35is and 4cyl as 18i / 20i & 28i

The lower output 4 pots, 18i (156bhp) & 20i (184bhp) can easily be tuned to the 270 as Andy advised, beating the 28i which does hold a premium.

The straight six engine is pretty much bullet proof and sounds great, it is also economical for a 6 pot, my 23i averages 35mpg but I am a steady Eddie but not really tunable if you want more power. The 23i & 30i running costs are pretty similar so if you can find a 30i then that is the one to go for in the 6cyl versions.

The 35i & 35iS are big boys toys and are expensive to buy especially the 35iS, great cars though but will definitely need a good warranty for these as expensive to fix.

Whichever you chose then just enjoy it
    Last edited by Ole gits rule on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:10 pm
    Jellybaby38 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:41 pm Looking forward to joing the club in the next few weeks
    Well hello. I am the honorary treasure of the club; my name is Charles Ash. So if you would kindly make a cheque out to CAsh for the sum of £75, I will ensure your membership request is dealt with swiftly.

Joking I am (just in case)! :thumbsup:
    I paid you £150 I want a £75 refund
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
    Legend
    Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. All this talk of mapping leads me to think you are thinking of getting an E89. Worth pointing out it was the E85 that replaced the Z3. So that may be the one that caught your eye as a teenager. That though has a completely different range of engines all normal aspirated. I'm sure you will soon pick up what you need to know here though. Knowledgeable and friendly crowd. Just ask away. :D

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pm I paid you £150 I want a £75 refund
    Ah but you got the "buy one get one double the price" promotion Sean. That offer is no longer available I'm afraid. :P

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 pm
    Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:25 pm I paid you £150 I want a £75 refund
    Ah but you got the "buy one get one double the price" promotion Sean. That offer is no longer available I'm afraid. :P
    He was lucky to get that Black Friday deal.
    Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
    Image Image

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:01 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm He was lucky to get that Black Friday deal.
    I know. Some people are just ingrates. :roll:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:43 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:01 pm
    Scubaregs wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm He was lucky to get that Black Friday deal.
    I know. Some people are just ingrates. :roll:
    That must have been the BOGOF deal.
    If you don't like it Bog Off! :D
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

craig3.2
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:51 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:29 pm Welcome to the forum. All this talk of mapping leads me to think you are thinking of getting an E89. Worth pointing out it was the E85 that replaced the Z3. So that may be the one that caught your eye as a teenager. That though has a completely different range of engines all normal aspirated. I'm sure you will soon pick up what you need to know here though. Knowledgeable and friendly crowd. Just ask away. :D
    Hello and welcome to the forum :driving: :thumbsup:
    As mentioned by buzyg, if it was the Original z4 you saw growing up,that would be the E85/86, Roadster and Coupe
    It came in 4cyl 2.0,and 2.2/2.5(i and si), 3.0(i and si),all 6cyl. Depending on age,they had various outputs,circa 156/189/232/265.

If it's the 2009/10 onwards shape, that's the E89.
    It has the Engines that Sean/oIegitsrule quoted above
    Quite a difference in what they do
    The E85/86 are Rawer cars,while the E89 is more of a gt,more refined cruiser.

All 2003 to 2008/09 Z4 s are Naturally aspirated,
    While some of the early E89 (2009/10 to 2017) like the 23i and early 30i models were too
    Revised engines on the E89 saw Turbo engines fitted to 4+6 cylinder engine cars,which ,as mentioned,are way more tuneable,as has always been the case....easier to get more power from a Turbo by a Remap and cranking up the Boost,than you ever get from simply remapping a N/A engine

So if modding is a possibility for you in the future,then it's worth going for the Turbo cars,or just buy a 3.0si E85 soft top,with 265bhp to start with 👍

Hope that gives u enough combined info
    Last edited by craig3.2 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
    Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Hopefully Craig's reply will help you decide what model you want as E85s are quite different to E89s. If boot space is important the E85 is probably the better choice.

Anyway good luck tracking the right one down. :thumbsup:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:38 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 pm
    I don think I half the benefit of the normal fee so I actually got pay for 4 get nothing in return - I know how SWMBO feels