Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Want to send text from car

Discussing the current generation Z4
PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:57 pm

I have a Samsung A11 Android phone. It is capable of sending texts, but I cannot get that function to work when I am in the car. My previous (LG?) Android phone allowed it, so I can only assume the car is capable of doing that with the proper phone.

I am considering upgrading my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S22, primarily because I want the ability to send a text when driving. Mainly those text go to me as I often think of something important when I'm driving and I need a reminder. I am 75 years old; nuff said. :oops:

Also, does anyone know if Android Auto has the ability to send a text? I have not used that on my car but I believe it's on it, and I have the app on the phone. That could be a work around allowing me to use my old phone and not upgrade for lots of dollars.

Doug

PS - I tried many BMW links supposedly allowing me to enter my VIN and phone model to check compatibility with the car, but the links failed to load properly.
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ori

Post by ori » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm

Right. I don’t know much about android, but if it works like Apple CarPlay, you really should connect using android auto.
Then pressing and holding the mic button on the steering wheel activated the phone voice recognition system and you can tell it to send a text message.

Example. Press and hold the mic button. “Send a message to argyleandy reminding him that blue is the fastest g29”

It reads back the message and asks if you want to send it.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:04 am

ori wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm Right. I don’t know much about android, but if it works like Apple CarPlay, you really should connect using android auto.
Then pressing and holding the mic button on the steering wheel activated the phone voice recognition system and you can tell it to send a text message.

Example. Press and hold the mic button. “Send a message to argyleandy reminding him that blue is the fastest g29”

It reads back the message whilst pishing itself laughing as it knows SFR red is.
Fixed that for you ori, :thumbsup:
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ori

Post by ori » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am

Scubaregs, let’s ask ArgyleAndy. ;)

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 pm

ori wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am Scubaregs, let’s ask ArgyleAndy. ;)
Why? He is our forums equivalent of Jon Snow. :rofl:

Image Image

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:11 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:06 pm
ori wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:23 am Scubaregs, let’s ask ArgyleAndy. ;)
Why? He is our forums equivalent of Jon Snow. :rofl:
I’m the forum’s version of me, no other fecker :poke:

And yes ori, as usual Scubaregs, is talking p!sh!!!! :rofl: inferiority complex as he couldn’t get a Misano Blue one :P

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Scubaregs
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:23 pm

They tried their best mate, "Please take a Misano blue sir, no one wants them." :rofl:

Image Image

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:59 pm

Tried the text message thing to argyleandy for the first time following your example. She just laughed at me and now she's not speaking to me at all! :D :poke:
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

ori

Post by ori » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:03 pm

Nanu wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:59 pm Tried the text message thing to argyleandy for the first time following your example. She just laughed at me and now she's not speaking to me at all! :D :poke:
    Women eh?

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:42 pm

ori wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 pm Right. I don’t know much about android, but if it works like Apple CarPlay, you really should connect using android auto.

It reads back the message and asks if you want to send it.
    Thanks, sorry it took me so long to reply to your reply. I keep forgetting to make my posts as "follow" or "receive notification of a reply" or whatever it required. I sill have to fiddle around a bit with my Z4 and my phone. I could do exactly what you described with my GMC pickup a few years ago. It was handy.
    PS - you are right.....Blue is the Fastest! :driving:
    2020 BMW Z4 M40i
    Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
    Need more curves in west Tennessee!