Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yep, another roof issue.. can someone help me?

LJG

Post by LJG » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:19 pm

I'm getting something very similar but while I've got the flashing button I pulled fault code CC-ID 447. Once the light stops flashing it's gone and everything works ok. Can't seem to find much info on 447 so not sure what the problem is.

Didn't have it this morning so it's intermittent.
Black 2012 28i

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 pm

Ok, so here's an update..

I came home from work.. roof was down. I pressed button to close roof. Boot opened an inch and got the red light and error message on the dash 'Roof system!' with a red light on the button and bonging.

I played around a little more and everytime time I let go of either of the roof open/close buttons mid roof operation, I get the bong, red light on the button and 'Roof System!' error message. Is this normal behaviour? I don't recall this happening before.

Can someone here help me out, do the same and let me know what happens? I'd really appreciate it.

LJG

Post by LJG » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm

Yes, that's normal
Black 2012 28i

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:51 pm

LJG wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:32 pm Yes, that's normal
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure that previously I didn't get the error. If I'd have let go of the button mid-operation, it would simply stop and I'd hear a gong, but no errors on the display.
warmasice wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 pm Ok, so here's an update..

I came home from work.. roof was down. I pressed button to close roof. Boot opened an inch and got the red light and error message on the dash 'Roof system!' with a red light on the button and bonging.

I played around a little more and everytime time I let go of either of the roof open/close buttons mid roof operation, I get the bong, red light on the button and 'Roof System!' error message. Is this normal behaviour? I don't recall this happening before.

Can someone here help me out, do the same and let me know what happens? I'd really appreciate it.
Anyone else check theirs for me? Thankss

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:00 am

It appears that if you let go of the roof buttons mid operation, you do get a bong, error message on the dash and red flashing light on the button. I've had a German friend check hers.. same behaviour.

Car battery and salmon relays already changed.

I'm pretty sure I'm not letting go of the button mid-operation - why would I? I've had the car for a few years and it's never been a problem before.

So the question is, could this be:
1) The micro switches, or
2) Frayed roof wiring

What should I tackle first? Many thanks for your help everyone.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:16 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm There is an updated wiring loom which can be fitted.
What is that?
I love these web recommendations about things, that one have never dealt with before. :headbang:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:40 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:16 am
Deepseaskateboard wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm There is an updated wiring loom which can be fitted.
What is that?
I love these web recommendations about things, that one have never dealt with before. :headbang:
When mine was fixed, the BMW tech said they fitted a revised wiring loom. It’s a pre LCI car, so it’s probably already fitted to newer cars.

It was a fault on one of the microswitches on the roof arms.

I will see if there is a part number on the invoice.
But I need to dig it out…

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:45 am

Yes, I wasn't aware of an updated wiring loom? I understand that people replace the broken wires with a fresh ones (not sure exactly what type is best though).

It's raining at the moment, hopefully will clear up in the next couple of days for me to check the wires.

I'm assuming the symptoms are more related to wiring than micro switches? I don't know. 😞

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:40 am
What is that?
When mine was fixed, the BMW tech said they fitted a revised wiring loom. It’s a pre LCI car, so it’s probably already fitted to newer cars.

So was it the wiring or the micro switch that was replaced?

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am

warmasice wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 pm Ok, so here's an update..

At first, for all of you guys:

The red flashing LED is no fault indicator.

Don't know, how often I've alread written this. It only indicates, that the roof is neither completely opened nor closed. Nothing else.

Guys, it might be better to not flood the OP with tons of hints catched anywhere in this or other forums. It doesn't help anybody, who has a roof issue for the first time. Better to collect a checklist of diagnostic steps in the HowTo section of this forum. Makes life easier ...

There is a German proverb:
can't see the forest for the trees.

That hits the point, if a dozen of guys post anything they've found anywhere as an endless list of hints.
Think about yourself in this situation, where you never had a look at the roof construction on your Z4 before. You don't know where to start.

The percentage of more than 90% issues with broken wires is very speculative. In my statistics, it's about 23%, and I've seen a lot.

@warmasice
The diagnose of the source of your issue is not so easy, as all of those former hints in this thread suggest.
In your case it could be:
- one or two rusty hall sensors on the hydraulic ram of the trunk lid on the right
- one of the microswitches next to the same hydraulic rams on both sides
- not sure that a wire is broken based on your latest description, but this will happen as next issue

The maintenance thread is a source of info, everybody should have a look at.
viewtopic.php?t=130932
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am

warmasice wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am

What is that?

So was it the wiring or the micro switch that was replaced?
To my knowledge, they replaced both.

I think the newer microswitch does not fit with the older connector, so they have to replace the wiring. I think the wiring is also a little longer so it isn't under as much stress.

If your car is LCI, then it’s probably already got the updated parts, but not sure.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 am

What is that?
Sorry for bothering you.

But that shows how less clue even the BMW guys do have!

Background:
In 2012, the hydraulic pump got a fourth electrical solenoid to support opening while driving in a safer manner. It got a new part number.

The CTM had to be enabled to control this additional solenoid. It got a new part number.

The hydraulic loom had to support this as well with two additional wires. It got a new part number.

Nothing else was changed, no mechanical improvement, no quality improvement of any of the materials. Nothing has changed except this additional electric/hydraulic feature.

But that got the source of all rumours. :rofl: :thumbsup:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:58 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am I think the wiring is also a little longer so it isn't under as much stress.

If your car is LCI, then it’s probably already got the updated parts, but not sure.
No, No, No, No....sense
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:16 am

Robbi you're very knowledgeable, I must say.

I'll check the wiring with the roof up by removing the cloth tape and see what I can find. If there's no issue, I'll move onto replacement of micro switches and then maybe hall sensors. The more I read, the more confident I feel that it should be reasonably straightforward... I hope! 🤣🤣

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:18 am

Deepseaskateboard wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:50 am To my knowledge, they replaced both.
To be honest, you should know that exactly.

The MS costs only about 35£, the replacement of the connected hydraulic harness costs 3.500£. One never will forget this issue, I think.
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932