Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Yep, another roof issue.. can someone help me?

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:43 pm

I have an intermittent fault with my roof. Occasionally the roof stops opening or closing and I get a 'Roof System!' message on the dash with red light on the roof button. Releasing and pressing the button again completes the open/close procedure.

I've checked for fault codes with ISTA+ but there none.

Would micro switches cause this problem or a broken wire?

Can someone help?!
20220615_220424.jpg
20220615_220424.jpg (146.03 KiB) Viewed 612 times
20220615_180320(0).jpg
20220615_180320(0).jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 612 times
20220615_180232.jpg
20220615_180232.jpg (117.14 KiB) Viewed 612 times

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm

The wires can fray in the roof arms, causing an intermittent fault.

There is an updated wiring loom which can be fitted.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:11 am

I’m no roof expert, but I did have a similar issue very recently which I was able to solve thanks to the very knowledgeable roof gurus on here. I think it would be useful to know at which point the roof stops and does it stop in the same place each time, on the way up and on the way down. In my case this was key in the diagnosis, it was actually one of the sensors that had failed.

These roofs are complex beasts as we all know, as much info as possible helps with possible diagnosis.

Also the standard question is how good is your battery? Perceived wisdom here is that all kind of weird unexplainable stuff can happen if the battery is not up to the job.

PFZ4E89

Post by PFZ4E89 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:19 pm

I had the same problem recently. there are tons of descriptions on how to fix it in this forum.
in my case, even BMW did not want to undertake the repair in the normal time
diagnostic systems do not show these errors.
view posts "RobbiZ4" is the greatest expert and describes everything perfectly.
In short, I can tell you to check the relay (salmon) next to the pump (in the trunk), all sensors and microswitch you can check on the "Top Cabrio-CTM" plug, the module is in the trunk.
to move the roof freely by hand, loosen the screws on the pump.
view all posts by "RobbiZ4" he describes it all perfectly and links to pictures and documentation.

PFZ4E89

Post by PFZ4E89 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:26 pm

90% of roof failures are damaged wiring.
sometimes it is difficult to find them - because all cables get creased in bundles and access to them is difficult.
but if you have a little patience you will definitely succeed.
the most likely place is the bundle at the joint of the upper shell of the roof, from the shell to the glass. there the wires bend a lot.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:11 am I’m no roof expert, but I did have a similar issue very recently which I was able to solve thanks to the very knowledgeable roof gurus on here. I think it would be useful to know at which point the roof stops and does it stop in the same place each time, on the way up and on the way down. In my case this was key in the diagnosis, it was actually one of the sensors that had failed.

These roofs are complex beasts as we all know, as much info as possible helps with possible diagnosis.

Also the standard question is how good is your battery? Perceived wisdom here is that all kind of weird unexplainable stuff can happen if the battery is not up to the job.
That's a good point. I raised and lowered the roof 4 times after work and had no errors. It's definitely intermittent, but will keep a closer eye on what part of the open/close procedure it's happening.

I'm pretty sure the first time it happened is when the rear clamshell with the screen was on the roof with the boot open (that was just once). More often it happens when the whole roof is being stowed in the rear and the boot tries to close shut. It's at this point I have to release and press the roof close button again because I get a dash error and a red light on the button.

The battery it a just a few months old. Bosch AGM and car is left on a trickle charger when not in use.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:01 pm

PFZ4E89 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:19 pm I had the same problem recently. there are tons of descriptions on how to fix it in this forum.
in my case, even BMW did not want to undertake the repair in the normal time
diagnostic systems do not show these errors.
view posts "RobbiZ4" is the greatest expert and describes everything perfectly.
In short, I can tell you to check the relay (salmon) next to the pump (in the trunk), all sensors and microswitch you can check on the "Top Cabrio-CTM" plug, the module is in the trunk.
to move the roof freely by hand, loosen the screws on the pump.
view all posts by "RobbiZ4" he describes it all perfectly and links to pictures and documentation.
Yes, I've heard his name mentioned a few times. I've got so many tabs which I've been reading, but I'm afraid I'm at the point at which I've given myself information overload. 😞

I'm a little hesitant to change the micro switches myself.. never done it before! Although, ask me to change anything else on a car I'll do it no problem!

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:59 pm

I had micro switches go and the roof open / closing was intermittent at first and then got worse.

Primary issue was the rear glass section was over the roof and the boot would not lock so it would not close and the second time everything was stowed in the boot but but the boot would not close so your error sound like what I was experiencing.

Micro switches are £16 a pop but a £300 job at an indie, few guides on here on how to fix.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:40 pm

warmasice wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:01 pm I'm a little hesitant to change the micro switches myself.. never done it before! Although, ask me to change anything else on a car I'll do it no problem!
It sounds like microswitches in the bootlid, as intermittent is their middle name when they start to play up IME.

If it is these (refer to RobbiZ4's posts to be sure) , then believe me they are really easy to replace. I have not worked on anything car related in 30 years and I changed them both in about an hour. The hardest part is finding something of the right length to prop the bootlid open while you do it.

There are multiple posts of 'how to' (again RobbiZ4) on the forum but I'm just too tired to look for you ATM! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:55 am

Hopefully RobbiZ4 will drop by soon and give you the benefit of his wisdom. I am sure there’s enough detail here for him to diagnose what your problem is in terms of switches or sensors. Some of the potential fixes are not too difficult (I managed to fix mine with a little help from a mate and I’m certainly no mechanic)… but getting to the root of what actually needs to be done is the tricky part, that’s where Robbi (legeeend !) is a unique resource.

I had a similar problem to you, initially I searched, read and researched so many roof threads on here that my head was spinning and I honestly had less idea than when I started :dizzy:

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am

Having had broken wire issue, and a sensor issue on different occasions, when it was a frayed/broken wire it stopped mid way and then worked again after closing then opening again.
When a sensor failed , it opened as far as rear section folding on to roof, and then stopped and would do nothing more.
The wire logically seemed to be more intermittent, as i am guessing the wire was initially making some contact, but after a couple of open and closes, it broke contact and failed completely.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:02 am

Definitely worth changing the salmon relays as a starting point, regardless of whether that is the issue.
This was the first thing i was told to do.....
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up all.

I have already fitted new salmon relays and a battery a few months ago. I'll change the micro switches next, even though they're throwing no codes..

Can someone confirm its item numbers 4 and 5 that are the common ones to fail and ones I should be replacing first? Are numbers 2 and 3 hard to change? Looking to order this lunchtime.
IMG_1170_zpslipfzfic.png
IMG_1170_zpslipfzfic.png (274.5 KiB) Viewed 406 times
I'll have a look at the wiring harnesses too.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:26 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:59 pm I had micro switches go and the roof open / closing was intermittent at first and then got worse.

Primary issue was the rear glass section was over the roof and the boot would not lock so it would not close and the second time everything was stowed in the boot but but the boot would not close so your error sound like what I was experiencing.

Micro switches are £16 a pop but a £300 job at an indie, few guides on here on how to fix.
Which micro switches did you change? Just trying to get a feel for what switches people have changed. The more info the better before I decide which ones to change!

Thankss
IMG_1170_zpslipfzfic.png
IMG_1170_zpslipfzfic.png (274.5 KiB) Viewed 400 times

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:11 pm

warmasice wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:26 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:59 pm I had micro switches go and the roof open / closing was intermittent at first and then got worse.

Which micro switches did you change? Just trying to get a feel for what switches people have changed. The more info the better before I decide which ones to change!

Thankss
IMG_1170_zpslipfzfic.png
Mine were done by a garage under warranty, but think it was number 4 that was changed :thumbsup:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.