Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thinking of getting my first Z car

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mbintx

Post by Mbintx » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 pm

Hello everyone. New member here. I have been looking around at getting a used (2010-2013) Z4, and wanted to ask the members that have driven the different models their opinion.
I’ve never owned a BMW and started off looking at an M3. But after talking to many many members about the problems associated with those, I decided against it. Then I thought about getting a 335is, but they are kind of hard to find( but still looking). So here lately have been thinking about a Z4. I totally get the engine difference and hp difference in the 28i and the 35i, but was wanting input on someone that has driven both, and what you thought?
Can you tell that much difference in them power wise? I’m just looking for something to tool around in with the top down on a nice day, or maybe take a little trip in. I’m not looking at taking it to the track or doing any big mods. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Mike

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 pm

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

That age of Z4 will be an E89 and I don't know much about them but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some advice.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 pm

:driving:
Last edited by Dazza4 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

Dazza4

Post by Dazza4 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:56 pm

Dazza4 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:44 pm Hi Mike

As the old phrase goes…horses for courses.

Having had a couple of cars similar to those that you mention - M4, recently an E89 28i and a couple weeks ago 35is, they are all very good and different (not helpful I know :rofl: ).

My point is if you want something with more presence and power then an F80 M4 convertible is it, but if you want something less conspicuous then a 335i as you mention.

I bought an E89, as I wanted a convertible with a hard roof, not soft top. 2 seats and compact car is fine for me as not my daily and hopefully cheaper to run all up than an F80 convertible.

As for your question - 28i at 240ish bhp is fine and feels ok bearing in mind the size of the car, but deffo not M4 territory which is what I had previously (nor the bills either!). Knowing what I know now, wouldn’t bother with a 28i, but buy a 20i and get it chipped - loads more choice too. Or if you want a 6 cyl then go for 30i naturally aspirated. For more smiles per miles, then the 35i/35is for 300bhp+.

Good luck :thumbsup:
E89 35is, Melbourne Red
E89 28i Gone
Tesla M3
F82 M4 Gone

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:02 am

35 in either configuration is a fabulous car, superbly tuneable with a great engine noise.
Downside is reliability, the N54 motor can be problematic so an aftermarket warranty is really essential, your car needs to be less than 10 yrs old for this unless you buy a BMW used car warranty.
M cars are truly brilliant but frankly I have gone from a fan to seeing them as a bit of a 'mug punters motor' these days. Many people who buy these cars have no idea of the true expense involved in their use and upkeep.
Not sure why anyone with a budget for a new M car would buy a new petrol/diesel car when electric is an option.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:10 am

Where will you be driving it? The type of use can make a difference.
I have a 20iS with a cheeky little remap to 279bhp. It's actually the added torque that makes the difference. For my use, which is mainly flowing B-roads it is an ideal combination of power, balance and running costs.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am

Mbintx wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:41 pm Hello everyone. New member here. I have been looking around at getting a used (2010-2013) Z4, and wanted to ask the members that have driven the different models their opinion.
I’ve never owned a BMW and started off looking at an M3. But after talking to many many members about the problems associated with those, I decided against it. Then I thought about getting a 335is, but they are kind of hard to find( but still looking). So here lately have been thinking about a Z4. I totally get the engine difference and hp difference in the 28i and the 35i, but was wanting input on someone that has driven both, and what you thought?
Can you tell that much difference in them power wise? I’m just looking for something to tool around in with the top down on a nice day, or maybe take a little trip in. I’m not looking at taking it to the track or doing any big mods. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Mike
Are you based in the US?

335iS is not only rare, I think it only was released in the states.

Also, I believe the base Z4 is 28i over there.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:42 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike. Not an E89 owner. But General chatter on the forum over the years hints that the 35i manual, 35is Auto and 2ltr engines are the ones that get talked about the most. The latter because they can easily be tuned and are cheaper to run. Best try and get behind the wheel of some and enjoy finding out which is for you. :driving: :thumbsup:

Mbintx

Post by Mbintx » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Yes I live in the states….in Texas.
I would be buying one and driving it just here and there. Just kind of an every so often weekend toy.
Thank you to all the members for all the comments and great suggestions. I will just have to go check a few of them out to see which one o like.