Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:19 pm

I got this error message second time, almost owned the car for a year (literally no issues).

2D61 VANOS exhaust control Fault, Position not reached. Online stories are different, just clean the solenoid, check the seals, replace Vanos, worst case the camshaft bearings are failing etc.

I personally suspect a dirty/heavy oil as I've a service due in 4k and don't know what oil was used before. During those 2 times It always happened within 4 weeks of me topping up a 1L oil (I do buy a super duper premium), do you reckon something like an oil top up could have an effect?
Electrical engineer with interest in mechanical stuff, hit me up if you need help with some interesting projects.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L
Current project: iDrive Android Screen Installation

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:26 pm

2.0 worn chain throwing a timing code?

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by B21 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 am

flybobbie wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:26 pm 2.0 worn chain throwing a timing code?
FWIW..

I would do the oil change..asap..open the filter and check for metal and/or plastic swarf…any swarf equals cam chain failure..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Forgot to mention, the codes showed up over 6 months apart.
Electrical engineer with interest in mechanical stuff, hit me up if you need help with some interesting projects.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by B21 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:34 pm

This suggests revising the DME firmware may be a solution..

https://f01.justanswer.com/dcraig1000/9 ... f1_eee.pdf
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:46 pm

Yeah, timing chain on Position of Vanos reached doesn't make any sense at all.

I would rather assume sensor/oil leaking through the sealed bearing on cam shaft, they are essentially 86k miles old.

My firmware is 2011 so it does make sense they are some software glitches.

I've got full service in 4k miles so I will update what the outcome was.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:22 am

Update: had a solid drive today and the code came up again, this time you can hear the front of the engine. I had previous thread where I could hear metal-to-metal noise when I switched to sport.

Its defo the chain, not resetting this time, going straight to the garage on Monday :D

Update: went for a ride today and yup, exactly same, when engine is nice and cold you hear nothing (apart from HPFP), once the oil is at the temperature and I'm slowing down from motorway to a 30mph it showed up again today! Defo skipping a tooth more frequently now.

Update #3 (21/06): Happened twice today on relatively short journeys 30 min 1 way in a very hot weather. The car was in the garage last week, the ran full diagnostics and checked all vanos and valvetronic sensors, no issues. No one have idea. I had MOT last month and asked the guys to check it for any potential issues, they haven't found anything. Just a mystery at this point, It might be the software issue as someone mentioned and old oil, I think last change was around 15k miles ago so the oil is quite thin I believe causing pressure issues on vanos potentially, to be continued.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:18 pm

Figured out the mechanics are absolutely useless in most places these days, was waiting for my torque wrench to come in and thankfully both sensor are the same part number.

Took inlet and outlet sensors out, cleaned them up, cleaned the connectors (outlet connector housing was bit loose), checked the pins for damage, bend, carbonation etc. Checked the wiring housing to EMCU to make sure there is no obvious wiring issues.

All cleaned and fitted back in, I've not used the cheap E10 fuel for sometime now and it feels like changing from (Tesco value) E10 to E5 V-Power had a massive effect on overall feeling and car behaving (I normally use E5 V-power) and looked over interwebs to see that there is couple of geeky geezers who had issues with using E10.

The issue so intermittent I can't pin point it. Now having sensor swapped over and cleaned I will see what the story is.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L

javis20

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by javis20 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:54 pm

Did you remove both vanos solenoids and clean them? Then re-oil and excercise with a 12vdc source. You can use car battery or any 12vdc wall wart power supply. Polarity doesn't matter, just a coil.

TomZ4

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by TomZ4 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:29 pm

Not the solenoids, good luck trying to swap vanos solenoids and running your engine :D

Just the camshaft position sensors ;)
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L

javis20

2D61 - Outlet Vanos

Post by javis20 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:37 pm

Not sure what you mean. Both vanos solenoids are identical, so you can swap them. But I didn't mention swapping... I suggested you clean, re-oil and cycle them. They pop out as easily as the two previously mentioned sensors.