Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Performance maps and insurance

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:05 pm

Hi all,
For a while now people have occasionally posted the 'should i/shouldnt i' question ref informing your insurance company if you have a performance map on your ECU.
Well after listening to a road traffic officer 'Owen' in Devon I learned today that any vehicle involved in a serious RTA has its ECU removed and analysed for performance maps.
So that's that question answered - declare it...
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:41 pm

That's an interesting claim but I'd question the feasibility of it. Aside from the obvious question about the police having the resources and will to carry out such a task I doubt they have the capability. Also not sure what benefit that would be to the police after the car has already been crashed, after all it's the insurance company that is the only one to benefit from the car being deemed uninsured.

There's a lot of people out there with modified ECUs that have no idea. There's a huge market for remapping commercial vehicles and fleet cars and they don't get returned to stock before heading to the auctions. Not all remaps have the intention of making a vehicle faster, some are just intended to bypass certain emissions rubbish like EGR valves and adblue that are a serial menace to the reliability of vehicles.

Sounds a bit like that urban myth about TV detector vans being able to tell if your house is receiving a TV signal. It worked to scare enough of the low-hanging fruit into submission.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:45 pm

I would imagine by 'serious' they mean life changing injuries or death, in which case the investigations run much deeper.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:54 pm

R.E92 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:41 pm

Sounds a bit like that urban myth about TV detector vans being able to tell if your house is receiving a TV signal. It worked to scare enough of the low-hanging fruit into submission.
The ‘urban myth’ was a fact..it was prior to digital TV and flat screens easy to both work out if there were TV’s switched on in a particular area and in fact work out to a very high degree of bearing accuracy which house in a street the TV was and also which frequency the TV was listening too, so you could discriminate between say a BBC channel and an ITV channel..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:00 pm

FWIW here’s an extract from guidance for forensic investigation in the case of fatal accidents..

The key requirements of vehicle examination include:

establishing the pre-collision mechanical condition of the vehicle, controls, switches and other components
in conjunction with the forensic collision investigator, considering the likelihood of a vehicle-related factor having caused or contributed to the collision
identifying and recovering forensic material (for example, mechanical components/vehicle borne electronics) from vehicles
recording details of the position and extent of the damage
identifying whether any devices have been fitted to the vehicle and to secure available electronic data from vehicle ECUs

Further details here..

https://www.college.police.uk/app/roads ... collisions
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:29 pm

mcbutler wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:05 pm Hi all,
For a while now people have occasionally posted the 'should i/shouldnt i' question ref informing your insurance company if you have a performance map on your ECU.
Well after listening to a road traffic officer 'Owen' in Devon I learned today that any vehicle involved in a serious RTA has its ECU removed and analysed for performance maps.
Well, that seems odd IMHO, my next neighbour had a Toyota Rav4 hybrid, as he exited a roundabout the car basically stopped dead and he was hit from behind by the following car, the Rav4 was written off

At no point did he police or insurance company remove the ECU to check what had gone wrong, my neighbour thought it would be as the car was brand new (2 months old) and he believed they would be checking to see if there was an issue with the hybrid systems.

My Bro-in-law also works for plod and was a traffic officer for 15 years and now works as a serious crash investigator and he has never mentioned removing an ECU to check for re-maps.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:37 pm

So, if it is true, they are checking ECU's for re-maps then it is like checking a planes black box.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:29 pm
Well, that seems odd IMHO, my next neighbour had a Toyota Rav4 hybrid, as he exited a roundabout the car basically stopped dead and he was hit from behind by the following car, the Rav4 was written off

At no point did he police or insurance company remove the ECU to check what had gone wrong, my neighbour thought it would be as the car was brand new (2 months old) and he believed they would be checking to see if there was an issue with the hybrid systems.

My Bro-in-law also works for plod and was a traffic officer for 15 years and now works as a serious crash investigator and he has never mentioned removing an ECU to check for re-maps.
I think you are missing the point..no one is going to turn everything upside down for an every day run of the mill non fatal prang..

Where the shits going to happen is when you have someone who’s going to spend the rest of their life in a coma or high dependency…

Then the police and/or the insurance and/or the lawyers are going to try and find the thing they can nail the defendant on..

I’ve seen it first hand when a certain company director went backwards through their high performance car following an accident …they pulled everything and were able to reconstruct very accurately the whole crash event..unfortunately for the litigant everything was stock and a ok and it in fact showed that the ESPmsystems tried to save the said person from his own folly… :thumbsup:

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:09 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:59 pm

I think you are missing the point..no one is going to turn everything upside down for an every day run of the mill non fatal prang..

Where the shits going to happen is when you have someone who’s going to spend the rest of their life in a coma or high dependency…

Then the police and/or the insurance and/or the lawyers are going to try and find the thing they can nail the defendant on..

I’ve seen it first hand when a certain company director went backwards through their high performance car following an accident …they pulled everything and were able to reconstruct very accurately the whole crash event..unfortunately for the litigant everything was stock and a ok and it in fact showed that the ESPmsystems tried to save the said person from his own folly… :thumbsup:
And here is the guy who reads the post SERIOUS RTA not a shunt on a roundabout or being the obviously non guilty party. Hes making a video on the subject for a YT channel he works with, Ill post a link when i get it
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:32 pm

This is the short video made by Owen the traffic officer on my friends excellent instagram/youtube channel GCM.
Owen said that some do slip the net as many police officers are not fully traffic are unaware of this apparently!
Owen features regularly on the channel and a lot of info there about number plates/new phone laws/window tinting/spoilers/exhaust noise-burbles etc etc. Well worth a browse to get it from the guy who knows
Link is to instagram
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeiPMrKj ... JmNzVkMjY=
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:18 pm

B21 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:59 pm

Not missing the point at all, my brother in law investigates fatal crashes every week as a serious crash investigator - he has never ever mentioned removing a ECU from a car to check for a remap - maybe forces have different rules but he investigates only the most serious accidents not run of the mill bumps.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:47 pm

According to the document I linked to there are separate roles for accident investigators and forensic investigators…it looks like your brother in law is a collision investigator not a forensic investigator ..in which case it’s not surprising that he’s not pulled ECUs…

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am

In a fatal or very serious RTA where there is probability of criminal culpability I can believe they examine the ECU - at least occasionally, if they have the man power that week and if they can be bothered, and especially if the case has been in the media.

As for whether you should tell your insurance company about a remap? I can't see any reason not to. It cost me a small admin fee and one long painful conversation trying to explain that a remap is not a chip.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am

tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am In a fatal or very serious RTA where there is probability of criminal culpability I can believe they examine the ECU - at least occasionally, if they have the man power that week and if they can be bothered, and especially if the case has been in the media.

As for whether you should tell your insurance company about a remap? I can't see any reason not to. It cost me a small admin fee and one long painful conversation trying to explain that a remap is not a chip.
Solid addition to the thread - agreed
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:18 am

mcbutler wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:05 am
tiglon wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am In a fatal or very serious RTA where there is probability of criminal culpability I can believe they examine the ECU - at least occasionally, if they have the man power that week and if they can be bothered, and especially if the case has been in the media.

Solid addition to the thread - agreed
This is interesting with my renewal coming up..I always declare my mods but on all the comparison sites it always say in the engine modifications section something along the lines of "chipped engine" or chipped ecu cant quite remember which you never actually see the words engine remap on any of these sites so thats the box I always check..this year its something like £65 difference when i check that box which seems harsh for a small bhp bump on a n/a car ..I'm debating not declaring it at purchase and then calling the next day to have a conversation and seeing how the diffence stacks up in terms of possibly just a small admin fee being put on
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D