Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Central locking problems

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:53 pm

I’ve read old posts and I think I know the answer, but other input would be valued.
2006 model, last year the central locking became intermittent off the key, so I sent the GM5 module away to have new relays fitted. It made no difference 🤢 I’ve been happily just using the key since, but today, I discover that I don’t have central locking anymore. The key opens the drivers door, but nothing else. The passenger door won’t unlock, nor will the central storage bin. I haven’t read any codes yet, but it sounds like I need a new module. I’ll read the codes, and maybe disconnect the battery for a wee while, but I’m not convinced. Anyway, where’s best for a new one ? eBay is full of pre used ones, and I don’t want to chance that. I guess I’ll also need to get any new one coded in ?
Neil

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:49 pm

Update. Fuse 30 was blown. However, on replacing it, Firstly, the passenger door unlocked, then shortly after got a puff of smoke from the fuse box area ! Now I’ve got a loud noise coming from the right hand side of the boot area, sounds like a pump running empty. It’s not the hood pump. The noise continues with the ignition off, so I’ve had to disconnect the battery
What on earth could be making that noise .

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Central locking problems

Post by bigwinn » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:57 pm

is it the central locking on the fuel cap?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Central locking problems

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:18 pm

bigwinn wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:57 pm is it the central locking on the fuel cap?
I'd agree. Sounds like the solenoid there is not quite travelling enough and the motor is permanently running. Hence the blown fuse.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Umfaan

Central locking problems

Post by Umfaan » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:37 pm

Disconnect the plug through the wheel arch and test again. If it is the fuel cap lock this one is for sale 🙄🤭
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.04 KiB) Viewed 398 times

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:47 pm

Certainly the right area. I’ll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks guys

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:53 am

It was the fuel cap lock that caused the noise. Took it out and reconnected the battery. Now the drivers door won’t open, and after a minute or two, started buzzing the same way as the fuel cap lock had ! Grrr. Drivers door worked perfectly before. Is this just coincidence, or something else. I still don’t know if my GM5 is working or not.
Did I read that someone on here can test/ repair ?
Neil

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm

29DA1C53-4F3D-499D-A87C-728AB270246C.jpeg
29DA1C53-4F3D-499D-A87C-728AB270246C.jpeg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 327 times
I replaced my drivers door lock - that was a struggle. I’d cheerfully strangle the sod that designed it that way !
From the photo above, we can conclude that my GM5 unit is, to use the technical term, f*ck*d !. The one that had new relays fitted in November 😡

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Central locking problems

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:21 pm

Wow!
Where did you send it? Considering it made no difference, have you any evidence that it was actually repaired at all?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:09 pm

I can’t remember the name of the guy. To be fair , it seems to have two new relays fitted. It only burned out this week, I suppose. Whether the GM5 goosed the Petrol cap lock and the drivers door lock, or vise versa, who knows.
New GM5 coming

healeyneil

Central locking problems

Post by healeyneil » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:24 pm

Well, that took a while. I fitted my new GM5 module, then the guy that did the coding on my 5 series went awol. Finally got someone else to code it, but still nothing off the buttons. I went to the guy how supplied my key ( 3 years ago ) and he replaced the battery in the key ! Success ! With aftermarket keys it seems that batteries are easy to replace - and I’m not convinced it’s rechargeable
If anyone wants a GM5 unit for parts, just cover the postage and it’s yours