Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Roberltd2

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Roberltd2 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:40 pm

Reminds me of the steam loco graveyards in South Wales in the seventies before the preservation societies got going. Hit the YouTube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Taf7o9sOFkc
2007 E85 2.5 si Sport in Montego Blue
1994 Eunos J2Ltd - now sold
1963 Triumph Thunderbird.

SonnyA85

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 am

Will be an even bigger scheme soon enough to kick-start the move to EV's for folk that cannot afford them.

ICE cars will only be driven by eccentric multimillionaires in 15 years time.

Also low emission zones will soon mean you cannot drive these old cars anywhere either than small towns.

The graveyard is only going to grow larger.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Nanu » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:46 am

I can’t see the date for EV sales of new cars only after 2030 staying at that date. There will not be the infrastructure in place and with the cost and demand pressures on electricity rising.

The date will be put back till I for one will be too old to drive an EV anyway. I may consider a hybrid if BMW design a hybrid Z4 :)
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:20 am

:thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Zed Baron

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:26 am

I would hate to see a future video revisiting the site and a line of Z4's sitting there! At the moment I feel there are too many question marks hanging over EV's, they will need a cheap source of electricity to become successful (and cheap batteries) and thats something we don't have at present. After watching a couple of programmes on the charging infrastructure and the mining of cobalt, maybe the motoring future will be reserved for the rich, while the rest of us will possibly regress to walking, cycling or owning a horse and cart! My cart of course will have a Z4 badge on the back :D

SonnyA85

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:33 am

Nanu wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:46 am I can’t see the date for EV sales of new cars only after 2030 staying at that date. There will not be the infrastructure in place and with the cost and demand pressures on electricity rising.

The date will be put back till I for one will be too old to drive an EV anyway. I may consider a hybrid if BMW design a hybrid Z4 :)
I can see it being brought forward if anything.

They have just hit the oil industry with a windfall tax. Zero incentive for investment into new projects. They will invest into renewables instead. Supply of oil is only going to get worse over time not better.

That means increases in oil price and therefore fuel over time and it's already expensive.

They are investing in the infrastructure now because of the current crisis. New nuclear plants. Plenty of investment into wind turbines. Lot of people now buying solar due to the increase in leccy bills. There is already grants for home chargers £600-£800 off. The only people who are going to have issues is those who don't live in a house with a ground floor. Flats/apartments. They will need to use public chargers or portable chargers.

If you are talking highway infrastructure. Everyone I know that owns an ev has had zero issues getting their vehicle charged and range is now so good you don't need to charge it even on long journeys. You can get 300 miles easy on a lot of the new gen cars and some of them can charge to 75-90% within 30-45 mins. Which is the time you normally stop at a service station for a toilet and food/drink break. Gone are the days of waiting 4-6 hours to charge. Gone are the days of 90 mile range.

All of the issues are being ironed out and by 2030 it will be a perfectly oiled machine, you will have 500 mile range and 30 minutes to charge to 90%.

Look at the Hyundai ioniq latest gen. Perfect example of what is available and prices should be much more affordable by 2030.

That means ev cars are going to be cheaper to run by quite some margin within 5 years.

Our Lexus is a hybrid absolutely brilliant cars but they will only bridge the gap over the next decade. It's why we got it. I don't plan on buying anything but an ev next. The Lexus and the Z4 will be our last cars that consume oil.

SonnyA85

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by SonnyA85 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 am

Zed Baron wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:26 am I would hate to see a future video revisiting the site and a line of Z4's sitting there! At the moment I feel there are too many question marks hanging over EV's, they will need a cheap source of electricity to become successful (and cheap batteries) and thats something we don't have at present. After watching a couple of programmes on the charging infrastructure and the mining of cobalt, maybe the motoring future will be reserved for the rich, while the rest of us will possibly regress to walking, cycling or owning a horse and cart! My cart of course will have a Z4 badge on the back :D
Do you tend to go to a petrol station on a daily basis and fill with petrol?

Because ev cars won't need filled up daily either and majority will be able to charge from home for 99% of journeys

Zed Baron

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:58 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 am Do you tend to go to a petrol station on a daily basis and fill with petrol?
Because ev cars won't need filled up daily either and majority will be able to charge from home for 99% of journeys
The zed probably gets filled with petrol once a month (its a third car, hardly gets used) Charging is all very good if you have a nice drive to park on, what if you have a household with multiple vehicles? what if you park in the street, are you going to be running cable over the pavement? what if someone parks outside your house and you need to charge? what if you live in a block of flats?

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by True-Blue » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 am

Problem from my perspective is infrastructure…

Currently approaching 33 Million cars registered on the Uk roads of which, only 420,000 were purely electric at the end of Feb 2022.

Only 18.6% of new car sales in 2021 were purely electric.

It’s all very well saying oil is bad and we must move to electric, but the environmental damage caused by mining the elements required for electric cars (as they are currently made) is horrific.

How is the national grid going to cope with supplying sufficient electricity to charge over 30 million electric cars every few days?? And how much damage will be done to the environment to make these cars.

That’s before we get to the issues of people who live in flats, and everyone being able to access a charging point…

I’m old enough to remember regular power cuts, time to start buying candles as buying batteries for torches could get very expensive!

Electricity will become the new oil :cry:

At some point, hopefully not in our lifetimes the ‘golden age’ of personal motoring will die, one way or another…. Get out and enjoy those Z4’s while you still can :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:52 pm

Keep seeing the argument that the charge time of 30-45 minutes is what you would spend on a toilet food break at a service station, however you don't always need a toilet or food break.

The other point to consider is the amount of cars ahead of you waiting to use the chargers available. It's minutes wait at a petrol station in such a case, potentially hours at a busy charging station.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Chippie

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Chippie » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:21 pm

True-Blue wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 am The other point to consider is the amount of cars ahead of you waiting to use the chargers available. It's minutes wait at a petrol station in such a case, potentially hours at a busy charging station.
I think that’s a very good point
In an ideal world every service station car parking space will need a charging point.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:31 pm

And don’t forget the drivers being fined for staying longer than permitted.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:02 pm

Chippie wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:21 pm
True-Blue wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:27 am The other point to consider is the amount of cars ahead of you waiting to use the chargers available. It's minutes wait at a petrol station in such a case, potentially hours at a busy charging station.
I think that’s a very good point
In an ideal world every service station car parking space will need a charging point.
Even that wouldn’t be enough if they take 45mins to get partly charged, there’s going to be some big queues :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jamesditchy

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by jamesditchy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:34 pm

Just keep spending the kids inheritance on petrol and enjoy them whilst you can :driving:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Scrapage Scheme Madness

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:07 pm

Or there is always hydrogen powered cars. Not everyone can or wants to pay for new cars or get into the ppc hp rent cycle. Me I have perfectly good low mileage cars bought for less than £6000.00 with cash, no worries about monthly payments. There are many like me judging by the 10 year old cars I see around me. Yes ev are better for the city environment but not for these poor sods in poor countries digging out the stuff to make batteries.