Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Project Ed's Zed is underway

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 30, 2022 1:11 pm

Chippie wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:48 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 pm Ed definitely wants to upgrade to heated seats. I think standard ones would be a better bet for him to realise a future profit.
You do realise there’s not going to be a sale once he finished, it will be like selling your 1st born :rofl:
I may buy it. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Mon May 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Most excellent :thumbsup:

Look forward to the progress report's :)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 pm

N4LLY wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:21 pm Most excellent :thumbsup:

Look forward to the progress report's :)
Well as you'll see, I'm already gathering parts for it. Can't keep the lad off my doorstep.
"Can we start now? Can we? Can we?" :D

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

z30Norfolker

Post by z30Norfolker » Tue May 31, 2022 8:23 am

That car will always be special to the lad. It will be practically new underneath by the time he gets to drive it. Fair play for doing this for him, I suspect he will be the Norfolk chapter mascot when we all get together
Toyota MR2, Single Turbo Supra, Evo 6, Evo 7, 09 BMW M3 V8, 17 Lotus Exige 380, 18 Porsche GT3. Had a break.. Z4 3.0

jock156

Post by jock156 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:34 am

Well done!

The guy who bought my old M Sport seats off me for £600 now has them up for sale for £850!

He’s based in Wymondham and I could maybe do a deal with him if you want 🤷🏼‍♂️

Heated!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue May 31, 2022 8:45 am

Thanks Brian, we have actually already sourced a good set of standard heated seats, thanks to a heads up from bigwinn.
Msports were discussed but we have a set budget and they wouldn't fit it.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:54 pm

Well yesterday I intended to do some more work on Project Freeleeta, but a forlorn little face was watching me, so we decided to do a couple of little bits on Ed's first.
The issue with the alarm seems to be hibernating at the moment. (Not chancing fate by saying it's gone away!)

As with all these things, it's best to give it a once over first to get an idea of where you're at. So Ed started very basically by learning how to open the bonnet. :D
Next he removed the cover and checked the air filter. Brand new. One less outlay.
Then he removed the inlet pipe for access to the disa valve bolts. Bit tricky for him to reach right over the electrical plug clip, so I did that, then showed him how it worked once it was off.
Ed unscrewed the mounting screws after much hilarity from his dad. "It's lefty-loosey Ed.................. ok, I meant the English left :roll: ".
The disa valve was very hard to prise out, which turned out to be due to a new seal being fitted. YES! It has already had the metal flap mod; looks like an X8R one. Another outlay saved.
Next we learned how to remove the front grilles to access the brace behind them. Didn't remove it yet as Ed's next job is to decide which colour he wants to colour code the struts and the callipers.
So only a little step, but I've left him with a task to google and find out where the cabin filter is and once he can tell me that we'll check it.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:37 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:54 pm Well yesterday I intended to do some more work on Project Freeleeta, but a forlorn little face was watching me, so we decided to do a couple of little bits on Ed's first.
The issue with the alarm seems to be hibernating at the moment. (Not chancing fate by saying it's gone away!)

As with all these things, it's best to give it a once over first to get an idea of where you're at. So Ed started very basically by learning how to open the bonnet. :D
Next he removed the cover and checked the air filter. Brand new. One less outlay.
Then he removed the inlet pipe for access to the disa valve bolts. Bit tricky for him to reach right over the electrical plug clip, so I did that, then showed him how it worked once it was off.
Ed unscrewed the mounting screws after much hilarity from his dad. "It's lefty-loosey Ed.................. ok, I meant the English left :roll: ".
The disa valve was very hard to prise out, which turned out to be due to a new seal being fitted. YES! It has already had the metal flap mod; looks like an X8R one. Another outlay saved.
Next we learned how to remove the front grilles to access the brace behind them. Didn't remove it yet as Ed's next job is to decide which colour he wants to colour code the struts and the callipers.
So only a little step, but I've left him with a task to google and find out where the cabin filter is and once he can tell me that we'll check it.
Play the game of what year do you think the cabin filter was last changed…

Yesterday was 2006

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:21 pm

bigwinn wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:37 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:54 pm Well yesterday I intended to do some more work on Project Freeleeta, but a forlorn little face was watching me, so we decided to do a couple of little bits on Ed's first.

Play the game of what year do you think the cabin filter was last changed…

Yesterday was 2006
That'll be just after the game of how much can you see now you have a face full of dust and leaves. :rofl:

Bear

Post by Bear » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:37 pm

Been watching this journey and very much approve - happy you've got a nice motor and look forward to the updates.

In a vaguely similar story, I helped a local lad out last year by giving him some work around the garden for holiday money. Quiet chap but very polite etc. He wanted to be a brickie (humble aspirations) so I taught him mortar mixes and got him re-pointing the patio :D After chatting with him for a few days as we worked together, I suggested stonemasonry as a possible career as, whilst there is nothing wrong with being a brick layer, he seemed like quite a creative lad. This seemed to interest him so I got him a proper mallet and first chisel (Christ, they're expensive!) for his birthday.

Cut to yesterday and he brought me around his first home carving - a little toadstool for my pond, and he's been accepted onto a stonemasonry apprenticeship at York! He's buzzing and is really becoming more chatty and open. Nice feeling vibes for me are through the roof, and so pleased to see him grow in confidence.

No interest in cars though. Can't have everything I guess.

Edit: Le Stool.
Attachments
PXL_20220602_165633814.jpg
PXL_20220602_165633814.jpg (221.32 KiB) Viewed 479 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:26 pm

Bear wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:37 pm Been watching this journey and very much approve - happy you've got a nice motor and look forward to the updates.

In a vaguely similar story, I helped a local lad out last year by giving him some work around the garden for holiday money. Quiet chap but very polite etc. He wanted to be a brickie (humble aspirations) so I taught him mortar mixes and got him re-pointing the patio :D After chatting with him for a few days as we worked together, I suggested stonemasonry as a possible career as, whilst there is nothing wrong with being a brick layer, he seemed like quite a creative lad. This seemed to interest him so I got him a proper mallet and first chisel (Christ, they're expensive!) for his birthday.

Cut to yesterday and he brought me around his first home carving - a little toadstool for my pond, and he's been accepted onto a stonemasonry apprenticeship at York! He's buzzing and is really becoming more chatty and open. Nice feeling vibes for me are through the roof, and so pleased to see him grow in confidence.

Doesn't matter what it is they're interested in. It's just great to feel you're giving something back, and to feel appreciated.
As a contrast, Vall's grandsons just turned up to stop overnight. Aged 10 and 8. Barely get a grunt, tv straight on with some mindless crap, no idea how to use a knife (or a fork mostly) no manners whatsoever, and a dad who says 'oh you can't tell them off, they have to find their own way." FFS, I'm back off to the garage with Ed! (Before I batter someone!)

IRD

Post by IRD » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:06 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:26 pm
Bear wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:37 pm Been watching this journey and very much approve - happy you've got a nice motor and look forward to the updates.

Doesn't matter what it is they're interested in. It's just great to feel you're giving something back, and to feel appreciated.
As a contrast, Vall's grandsons just turned up to stop overnight. Aged 10 and 8. Barely get a grunt, tv straight on with some mindless crap, no idea how to use a knife (or a fork mostly) no manners whatsoever, and a dad who says 'oh you can't tell them off, they have to find their own way." FFS, I'm back off to the garage with Ed! (Before I batter someone!)
You can choose your friends but (sadly) you can’t choose your family. :fuelfire:

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:27 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:26 pm
Barely get a grunt, tv straight on with some mindless crap, no idea how to use a knife (or a fork mostly) no manners whatsoever,
Enough about enuff, what are the grandkids like?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 pm

Nice toadstool, next thing to make is a bird bath.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:50 am

MikeyH wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:22 pm

Nice toadstool, next thing to make is a bird bath.
Tbh, the first one was probably just a stool sample. :roll: