Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Next Daily - M240

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
HGoward

Next Daily - M240

Post by HGoward » Tue May 24, 2022 6:06 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm Have you thought about getting something slower but more engaging (than the M240i) then modifying it to add performance? A Toyota GT86 springs to mind.
I did have a friend with a gt86 suggest this, but I I prefer the styling on the 2 series sadly.
Sapphire Black E86 LN56 ZKJ Purchased Jan 2021 - Sold June 2022
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Next Daily - M240

Post by tomscott » Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am

What tech are you missing you cant get by using your phone?

Ive had multiple full spec cars thinking I needed it all then never use any of it because the apps on the phone are newer and work better.

HGoward

Next Daily - M240

Post by HGoward » Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am

tomscott wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am What tech are you missing you cant get by using your phone?

Ive had multiple full spec cars thinking I needed it all then never use any of it because the apps on the phone are newer and work better.
I was mainly wanting to have to stop using my phone since every time I get in the car I have to set it up. I'm wanting DAB in the car without having to stream through my phone to get a better signal than FM.
Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Next Daily - M240

Post by tomscott » Wed May 25, 2022 1:30 pm

HGoward wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am
tomscott wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:48 am What tech are you missing you cant get by using your phone?

I was mainly wanting to have to stop using my phone since every time I get in the car I have to set it up. I'm wanting DAB in the car without having to stream through my phone to get a better signal than FM.
Tech I think is overated in cars. Its a key selling point instead of what but used to be which was build quality. I much prefer the old school feel of the Z. The 240 has been hailed by journalists as a fabulous car because it is, in the current crop of cars but not compared to the feel of older cars. The M2 is just the same faster and slightly more engaging but no different really. Its how it feels, you sit up high, its quick but its not that engaging like a Z4M is but its a nicer car to drive distance because its more comfy which is mad when your comparing sports cars as a quality.

Bottom line imo unless its car play or android auto, any built in media system is going to be sub par vs a phone. Maps are constantly updated, they have built in traffic information that is calculated by other users around you and the apps are integrated together so music and maps. Its also good from an upgrade point of view because you just replace the phone not the car.

DAB is old and on its way out. Ive had it in all my cars for the last 10 years except the Z4M and its not been great in any of them. Internet radio is far better and you can use it through Apple Music, download the specific app etc. I like XS Manchester for example but the the DAB signal gets lost about a 5 miles radius around Manchester. With internet radio you never loose signal. Im from cumbria but live in Manc but up all the time so signal in and around the fells is rubbish but internet radio streams. Even if you loose signal you usually have enough stream until you get back into signal so is seamless and the bit rate is higher so the quality is better all the time. Plus 3G is pretty much everywhere 99% UK coverage which is all thats needed for internet radio.

There's not a lot of difference to setting it up through the iDrive vs on your phone and personally I think its faster on your phone. I have a bluetooth adapter in the Z4M, sound quality it excellent and through the phone works great as for example Apple Music is built into google maps and Wazs now so reduces in volume, if you get a call etc its all integrated.

In built systems are overated imo they are expensive and even in a 2019 2 series will be out of date and you have to update the maps etc as long as you can have some sort of integration I find the phone works a treat.

Anyway just my opinion but a good bluetooth adapter and some you can get the steering wheel integrated too, swap tracks etc and a modern phone makes all these old cars a joy from a driving perspective and enough tech to make them useable. It wouldn't make me want to buy a new car for.... there are plenty of solutions to big integrated systems.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Next Daily - M240

Post by Pondrew » Thu May 26, 2022 10:16 am

If the options are a 235 or 240, it has to be the 240 any day of the week.

The B58 engine is a peach and in the 6 years it has been around, has virtually no inherent problems. That cannot be said for the N55, it has nearly as many issues as the N54 before it.
All 3 litre turbo BMWs are quick, but the B58 does quick better. It also does slow well too! It is also very economical on fuel if you want it to be.

You may glean that I am a B58 fan! :D

As far as tech, a post-facelift (2017 I think) gives you the later I-drive which is much better than the previous.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Next Daily - M240

Post by Argyll Andy » Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:16 am You may glean that I am a B58 fan! :D
Eventually, you’ve said something sensible :poke: :rofl: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Next Daily - M240

Post by Pondrew » Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am Eventually, you’ve said something sensible
    Yeah sorry about that. Normal service will be resumed in due course :lol:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

M1k3yC

Next Daily - M240

Post by M1k3yC » Thu May 26, 2022 11:36 am

£20k just about gets you into a 2009 or newer Porsche Cayman, and an S if you really shop around. You'll still have older infotainment tech but I could personally live with or workaround that as has been discussed previously.
    2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
    2018 F56 Mini JCW
    2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
    Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

HGoward

Next Daily - M240

Post by HGoward » Thu May 26, 2022 1:23 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:16 am If the options are a 235 or 240, it has to be the 240 any day of the week.

The B58 engine is a peach and in the 6 years it has been around, has virtually no inherent problems. That cannot be said for the N55, it has nearly as many issues as the N54 before it.
    All 3 litre turbo BMWs are quick, but the B58 does quick better. It also does slow well too! It is also very economical on fuel if you want it to be.

You may glean that I am a B58 fan! :D

As far as tech, a post-facelift (2017 I think) gives you the later I-drive which is much better than the previous.
    Thats great to hear first hand, reliability is a bonus for me since saves spending on expensive repairs. And in regards to the post-facelift Idrive I've already looked into that and you can get Idrive 5 updated to Idrive 6 in the post face lift.
    Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
    Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
    BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

HGoward

Next Daily - M240

Post by HGoward » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:29 pm

So about a month ago I bought my 2016 M240 which is stage 2+ tuned with Methanol injection, B58TU fuel pump, air intake, intercooler, decat. With all the mods its at around 470bhp currently. It is absolutely a crazy car and has filled my need for a daily driver which is fast and with modern tech.

However since owning it I haven't had the wow factor driving it which I had when I had the Z4 Coupe. It's extremely fast in a straight line but doesn't feel anywhere near as sure about itself in the corners, even with the adaptive suspension and lowering springs. But so far I have enjoyed it and I'm sure I will learn to love it as much as I loved the Z4.
    Attachments
    M240 C&M.jpg
    M240 C&M.jpg (467.58 KiB) Viewed 465 times
    Bilstein B12 Pro Kit
    Eisenmann Quad Exhaust
    BMW Z4M Rear Bumper

N4LLY

Next Daily - M240

Post by N4LLY » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 pm

Does look the part :thumbsup:

Congrat's

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Next Daily - M240

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:16 pm

Shame you aren't loving it as much as your Z - hopefully it will grow on you. :thumbsup:
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black