Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

‘Clink’ noise when starting off

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Redstevo77

Post by Redstevo77 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 pm

Still really new to Z4 ownership but as the weather has now improved I’ve been getting out in the car.

I’ve noticed an intermittent ‘Clink’ noise when I take up the drive in first gear. The noise comes from the rear but unable to tell if it’s off side or near side. It’s recently passed its MOT and I have even been under the back spanner checking all the nuts and bolts and all seems good.

It might just be normal being a rear wheel drive but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advise?

Thanks in advance

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Thu May 19, 2022 6:52 pm

I wonder if it's a broken rear anti-rollbar link? Had similar on an E46 coupe. Just a thought.. could be anything.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 pm

Redstevo77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 pm Still really new to Z4 ownership but as the weather has now improved I’ve been getting out in the car.

I’ve noticed an intermittent ‘Clink’ noise when I take up the drive in first gear. The noise comes from the rear but unable to tell if it’s off side or near side. It’s recently passed its MOT and I have even been under the back spanner checking all the nuts and bolts and all seems good.

It might just be normal being a rear wheel drive but wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advise?

Thanks in advance
Hi Redstevo77. If it makes the noise when taking up drive in 1st gear does it also do it when reversing ? If so it is likely to be worn/dry splines on the differential input flange. Mine does it if I'm a bit clumsy in 1st gear or reverse, although it is more of a 'clunk'. I'm waiting until I refurb the rear subframe next winter when I shall be applying some fresh grease to the splines in question as part of the job :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Fri May 20, 2022 12:39 pm

patriot66 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:47 pm
Redstevo77 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:07 pm Still really new to Z4 ownership but as the weather has now improved I’ve been getting out in the car.

Thanks in advance
Hi Redstevo77. If it makes the noise when taking up drive in 1st gear does it also do it when reversing ? If so it is likely to be worn/dry splines on the differential input flange. Mine does it if I'm a bit clumsy in 1st gear or reverse, although it is more of a 'clunk'. I'm waiting until I refurb the rear subframe next winter when I shall be applying some fresh grease to the splines in question as part of the job :thumbsup:
Probably this. Mine does it too
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

NS66

Post by NS66 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:46 pm

Could also be a worn donut - its a rubber coupling on the propshaft. I replaced mine as well as regreasing the input flange. They do dry out and probably sound worse than they are but it is an annoying noise I recall.