Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Problems Help!

Rustyspoon

Roof Problems Help!

Post by Rustyspoon » Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi Guys i hope someone on here can help me

My BMW E89 z4 2009 is currently in with the steeler as i brought the car from a vw garage with extended warranty so to claim the warranty for repairs it had to go to BMW, at the moment VW have agreed to pay for the repairs ( Thank god)

The issue is:
get in the car hold down the open roof button the windows go down and the first part of the roof starts to open around 25% then just stops, the roof will then will not continue to open or close, the only way is to take the key out then the roof will drop into the close position and if you hold the close roof position it will then lock.

The repairs so fair:
BMW have replaced
- Right folding top micros switch for panel 2
- Updated software and re config
- Replaced control unit module and re config
- the wiring has been checked and is all ok

- have checked the motor and there is no leeks and the Fluid in the hydraulic motor is showing the correct amount between min and Max

With the above repairs the roof is still not working with the same fault. I do not think they have a clue at this point and bill is getting longer.

any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

davegt

Roof Problems Help!

Post by davegt » Thu May 19, 2022 3:39 pm

Sorry to hear you're having problems, it'll more than likely be a broken wire, I've had one on each side repaired so far after replacing the micro switches didn't repair the fault, the only way to be sure is to strip off a section loom tape near to where the wires fold and then give each one a pull, it's easy to fix once identified, you won't find the broken wire by simply looking at the loom you have to strip the tape back, hopefully the code reader will have identified which side has the problem.

Usually in this location

This was one of mine that connected to the rear clam microswitch

Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)

Phoenixboy

Roof Problems Help!

Post by Phoenixboy » Thu May 19, 2022 3:47 pm

jmo, but if you find its a broken wire, get both sides done.
my dealer sorted mine, but suggested doing both sides, and I think its probably a wise move....
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

davegt

Roof Problems Help!

Post by davegt » Thu May 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:47 pm jmo, but if you find its a broken wire, get both sides done.
my dealer sorted mine, but suggested doing both sides, and I think its probably a wise move....
Agreed, both will go at some point unfortunately :thumbsup:
Daily: 2022 Mercedes GLB mileage muncher
Weekend: 2010 E89 35i, Stubby, Black Grills, Milltek exhaust, DCI, Carplay, BC Coilovers, Black Aluwerk 19" Alloys. (Parts sat collecting dust: IS diffuser, m4 carbon spoiler, FMIC)

Rustyspoon

Roof Problems Help!

Post by Rustyspoon » Thu May 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Thanks guys, i suggested a broken wire to BMW but they said they have checked the wires and its ok, they have done £1100 of repairs that didn't need doing at this point, but i am ok with that as i am not paying, however broken wires are not covered under my warranty, so i think will be have a little argument with them by the time they find the broken wire and try and charge me for a loom as we all know bmw dont repair they just replace.

They have had to submit and report to there head office to get more technical advice to try and fix the car. Doh !

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Roof Problems Help!

Post by B21 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:05 pm

Been discussed before..the E89 is now out of date with limited dealer support so when things like this go wrong main dealers struggle..

A decent Indy is the obvious port of call going forward.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Problems Help!

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu May 19, 2022 5:53 pm

Why would it have to go to BMW to claim warranty repairs - firstly VW should pay them direct and secondly, why would they pay the dumb rates that a main dealer charge if you said my local indie can sort at half the cost, as long as its a VAT registered garage there should have been no issues
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Problems Help!

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 19, 2022 6:08 pm

Rustyspoon wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:32 pm Thanks guys, i suggested a broken wire to BMW but they said they have checked the wires and its ok, they have done £1100 of repairs that didn't need doing at this point, but i am ok with that as i am not paying, however broken wires are not covered under my warranty, so i think will be have a little argument with them by the time they find the broken wire and try and charge me for a loom as we all know bmw dont repair they just replace.

They have had to submit and report to there head office to get more technical advice to try and fix the car. Doh !
But did they check the wires as Davegt has done..? As said as soon as they start refusing to stump up any warranty work go to a good Indie.

Hope you get sorted, tricky little blighters these E89 roofs at times.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29