Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Airbag Module Coding NCS Expert

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
colb

Post by colb » Sat May 14, 2022 11:40 pm

Ongoing problem with Youdy's 3,0l Z4 2003 that had an internal fault code for the centre airbag module, have put a used module in this afternoon and coded it using NCS Expert, airbag light won't go out despite clearing codes. We are getting a code on the replacement module for incorrect Vin Number which is surprising as it appeared to code ok using NCS Expert. We are coding the SIM85 module with NCS Expert. Using the same sequence as I did when I coded a Z3's airbag module and that coded ok first go.
Have read some of the old posts on here and can't see why we can't get the light to go off it seems we are doing it right from the details seen in the old posts. If anyone has any suggestions we are all ears.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

colb

Post by colb » Fri May 20, 2022 10:18 am

Have found an old thread on coding the Vin will be trying the following
INPA: UIF (User Information Field) Report
1-Open INPA>select your car model (E60)>Functional Jobs>F3 UIF
2-You'll see a list of all control units with their ZUSB number and VIN
3-Print to PDF the report.
4-Identify the ZUSB numbers without your VIN and copy from the PDF and close INPA

WinKFP: Edit VIN and Flash Module
5-Open WinKFP (Load SPDaten files google it)
6-Select comfort mode
7-Then click find ZUSB
8-Paste the number you copied
9-this will go straight to the right ZUSB
10-Then enter your full VIN and then click on done
11-Double check that the module your going to flash it's safe to flash with your cable and the battery needs to be connect to another power source
12-Click on update ZUSB (this will flash the module with SPDaten files and re-write the VIN)

NCExpert: Code to Default
13- Open NCExpert
14-Load profile -> Expertmode -> F1 -> F3 -> choose E60 from the list -> choose any module you want from this list -> now click F6 Back -> select F4 Process ECU -> choose Module -> now click ReadECU -> close the notepad window that showed up after the module was read.
15-Press F5 for basic functions -> Select "coapiReadSgGetFswPsw" and click Ok -> Select F2 "job" select SG_CODIEREN and press ok -> Press F3 Execute job and wait for the buttons to become active, when active it's all done.

INPA: Identification Report and Clear Errors
16-Open INPA>select your car model (E60)>Functional Jobs>Identification
17-Print the report to PDF.
18-Look in the SGBD column the module you replace
19-Clear (EM, IM and HM) Errors and Close INPA

Ediabas Tool32: Start System Time
20-Start Tool32
21-Select File->Load SGBD, Group file
22-Browse to the EDIABAS\ECU folder, and search for the file name based on the listed SGBD column. Can be more than 1 file.
23-In the Left of the window select systemzeit_lesen (write)
24-In the middle of the window Argument (value of) type 1 in the dropdown menu
25-double click systemzeit_lesen and done.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

TomR

Post by TomR » Fri May 20, 2022 11:32 am

This is what I did when I had to recode my airbag module. I followed the same guide I think but found a couple of differences on my e85:

viewtopic.php?t=115539

colb

Post by colb » Fri May 20, 2022 7:36 pm

Will give it another go when we can get together again.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

colb

Post by colb » Sat May 28, 2022 7:28 pm

Well another 3 hours trying to solve the airbag light with the replacement module fitted, still having no success coding the replacement with the Vin number despite following all the guides we could find using INPA, NCS Expert and Dummy and Winkpf. The old Vin will just not update with the cars correct Vin. The only code showing on the module is Incorrect Vin Number and that is preventing it to be cleared so the airbag light will go off. Any suggestions on solving this would be welcome.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 pm

I had mine done, no problems. Although it was done by someone. So can’t really help with the process… although you’ve probably seen my posts.

Are you sure the other module isn’t compromised somewhere? Assuming it’s fried, it might not communicate correctly?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

colb

Post by colb » Sun May 29, 2022 12:24 am

Came off a car with no airbag faults, part number same as the original failed module, as its only got the wrong vin number fault showing up I think its fault free, it shows up as connected ok in INPA as do the satellite modules.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:11 pm

When updating the SIM module, make sure all other units are running the same Daten files. The IKE (possibly the EWS also) needs to be on the same Daten files as the SIM unit. At least thats what I read on the E60 cars, I will try and see if I can find that post somewhere again.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:55 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:07 pm

@mac27040 I believe the issue is writing the VIN with WinKfp

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 am

Since we failed to get the Vin number changed using NCS Expert and Winkfp have been looking at Tool32 to give that a try. Not used it before and there is no online instructions to be found on how to do the Airbag module with Tool32, some on other jobs but nothing clear.
The version I have is all in German so that can be a problem choosing the right jobs. Has anyoner got an English 'How to'?
Been having a play with it plugged into my car to read modules and see jobs that can be selected. Found the SIM85 listed in the job menu which should be the module we are trying to write the cars Vin to. Its selecting the actual job from the list of functions thats getting confusing and how to carry out the job to change the Vin number. Could do with an idiots guide to Tool32 if one exhists.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 am

colb wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 am Since we failed to get the Vin number changed using NCS Expert and Winkfp have been looking at Tool32 to give that a try. Not used it before and there is no online instructions to be found on how to do the Airbag module with Tool32, some on other jobs but nothing clear.
The version I have is all in German so that can be a problem choosing the right jobs. Has anyoner got an English 'How to'?
Been having a play with it plugged into my car to read modules and see jobs that can be selected. Found the SIM85 listed in the job menu which should be the module we are trying to write the cars Vin to. Its selecting the actual job from the list of functions thats getting confusing and how to carry out the job to change the Vin number. Could do with an idiots guide to Tool32 if one exhists.
Sounds complicated.
Just a random thought, is it worth asking RobbiZ4 to do a video call to help with translation?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

colb

Post by colb » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:04 am

Just had an offer of translation help from another member, German speaker and reader, hoping to get a meeting together with the problem car and between us give Tool32 a go at getting the Vin number written into the replacement module. He is not far from us apparently and up for giving us a hand. If it all works out intend to write it up in English for future reference, bound to crop again on someone elses car.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:13 am

colb wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:04 am Just had an offer of translation help from another member, German speaker and reader, hoping to get a meeting together with the problem car and between us give Tool32 a go at getting the Vin number written into the replacement module. He is not far from us apparently and up for giving us a hand. If it all works out intend to write it up in English for future reference, bound to crop again on someone elses car.
Never ceases to impress me, the level of resource on this forum. :thumbsup:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:38 pm

colb wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:04 am Just had an offer of translation help from another member, German speaker and reader, hoping to get a meeting together with the problem car and between us give Tool32 a go at getting the Vin number written into the replacement module. He is not far from us apparently and up for giving us a hand. If it all works out intend to write it up in English for future reference, bound to crop again on someone elses car.
That sounds good colb. :thumbsup: Look forward to a how-to as it does sound complex and would be useful.
Perhaps you could then translate it into Welsh, titled "Sut i ddefnyddio Teclyn32" :P

My airbags are currently fine, but when I scan with INPA, it says it cannot connect and reports "No response from control unit". So I think if ever they play up I may have a problem diagnosing.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.