Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive v Aftermarket

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Silverstar

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Silverstar » Thu May 12, 2022 10:09 pm

Personally I wouldn't touch a car without the iDrive, sure it's now 13 years old and some might say old tech but it's still very very useful even without the MMI box added. As you said OP it's great for all the car specific functions particularly the mechanical status of the car, oil level, tire pressure service info and most importantly the pictogram you get for the parking sensors, they are super useful. The maps updated to latest version is also pretty good.

Now with the MMI box added it adds even more functions with Apple Car Play or android auto and brings the system almost bang up to date. I have had my MMI box now for around 2 years and it has been fine. I am in Southern Spain on the very sunny Costa del Sol and I can say quite opposite to Macroose I have no problem viewing the screen even in direct bright sunshine. The screen has an anti glare coating on it and it works!

Not for a second have a thought you know what I could live without this, quite the opposite in fact. I know here on this forum many say iDrive does not matter but I am pretty sure come sale time it does add some value and or brings about a quicker sale. For the reasons you have mentioned you wont be disappointed waiting for the right car with iDrive to come along.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

R.E92

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by R.E92 » Thu May 12, 2022 11:29 pm

If given the choice I'd keep the iDrive but I'd rather buy a car without it than with an Android unit. The Android units are nice in theory but in practice they look cheap and age really fast.

The headunits usually come a couple of versions behind the latest Android and within a couple more years you are using some archaic OS that won't run any new apps. You also then have a dash that's been cut up so you can't just remove it.

zimzimmer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by zimzimmer » Fri May 13, 2022 12:55 pm

I'm guessing each MMI option has its own interface or are they uniform? I've been looking at this as mentioned before: https://www.iceboxauto.com/bmw-z4-serie ... o-cic-menu
The attraction is they offer fitting, but it would help to know if there are better options out there or much of a muchness..?
Mercedes GLS350d V6 AMG Line 4Matic Night Edition
Audi A6 Avant Black Edition Bi-TDI 3.0 V6 Bi-Turbo
Incoming...E89

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by B21 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:14 pm

zimzimmer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:55 pm I'm guessing each MMI option has its own interface or are they uniform? I've been looking at this as mentioned before: https://www.iceboxauto.com/bmw-z4-serie ... o-cic-menu
The attraction is they offer fitting, but it would help to know if there are better options out there or much of a muchness..?
Been a lot of work done on this search AnnubisZed posts..

There are many boxes all with their audio feed using a 3.5 mm plug…many people state that the audio quality for music playback is much inferior to other audio sources (some say it’s fine)

The current gold standard seems to be Mr 12 Volt second generation version with the MOST connection..seems at the moment he’s the only supplier of said audio connector..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

tiglon

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by tiglon » Fri May 13, 2022 1:17 pm

B21 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:50 pm
tiglon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm Just a warning, in my experience, the DAB on the e89 is virtually useless.
In my part of the world with lots of hills etc I found it’s not quite as good as the F56 Mini or Volvo XC70 DABs but it’s not that bad…you haven’t fitted some LED bulbs have you? Many generate electronic hash bang on the DAB frequencies..

Mine had some cheap ones in the rear lights ..every time I braked the DAB disappeared..changed to higher quality and all is well..
I haven't changed any bulbs, maybe Andy put some cheap ones in at some point :poke:

When I try to use DAB I get about half a dozen stations, whereas (in the same location) in a 2015 Ford and 2016 Mercedes I get every single station you can imagine.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

SwissTone

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by SwissTone » Fri May 13, 2022 1:19 pm

B21 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:14 pm
zimzimmer wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:55 pm I'm guessing each MMI option has its own interface or are they uniform? I've been looking at this as mentioned before: https://www.iceboxauto.com/bmw-z4-serie ... o-cic-menu
Been a lot of work done on this search AnnubisZed posts..

There are many boxes all with their audio feed using a 3.5 mm plug…many people state that the audio quality for music playback is much inferior to other audio sources (some say it’s fine)

The current gold standard seems to be Mr 12 Volt second generation version with the MOST connection..seems at the moment he’s the only supplier of said audio connector..

Agreed, Mr12Volt seems the best option atm due to the MOST part. This is the route I'll be going, thanks to the guidance of AnnubisZed :thumbsup:
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by B21 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:44 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:17 pm
B21 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:50 pm
tiglon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm Just a warning, in my experience, the DAB on the e89 is virtually useless.
In my part of the world with lots of hills etc I found it’s not quite as good as the F56 Mini or Volvo XC70 DABs but it’s not that bad…you haven’t fitted some LED bulbs have you? Many generate electronic hash bang on the DAB frequencies..

Mine had some cheap ones in the rear lights ..every time I braked the DAB disappeared..changed to higher quality and all is well..
I haven't changed any bulbs, maybe Andy put some cheap ones in at some point :poke:

When I try to use DAB I get about half a dozen stations, whereas (in the same location) in a 2015 Ford and 2016 Mercedes I get every single station you can imagine.
I think the DAB tuner in the E89 is a ‘DAB’ tuner those fitted to your other cars are ‘DAB+’. Hence the difference…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 13, 2022 2:11 pm

tiglon wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:17 pm I haven't changed any bulbs, maybe Andy put some cheap ones in at some point :poke:
I ever had it long enough to need to change bulbs :rofl: but I will agree, the DAB reception was sh!te but in all honesty I put that down to my location :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Silverstar

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Silverstar » Fri May 13, 2022 4:14 pm

The two options are this box which connects via the AUX port or the Mr 12V option which connects via MOST. If you are not bothered about having the sound come via the AUX port than the icebox auto seems like a good deal. It's a good price from a UK supplier with a EU 2 year warranty so you have more protection than buying something direct from China / Hong Kong. Bonus is that they offer fitting so in case there are any techincal issues they will have to deal with it and sort it out.
    2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

zimzimmer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by zimzimmer » Fri May 13, 2022 6:21 pm

So Mr12Volt is out of stock right now (thanks guys ;)
    2 weeks lead time currently, but sourcing and fitting have been confirmed :thumbsup:
    Now all i need is a car ! :P
    Mercedes GLS350d V6 AMG Line 4Matic Night Edition
    Audi A6 Avant Black Edition Bi-TDI 3.0 V6 Bi-Turbo
    Incoming...E89