Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive v Aftermarket

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
zimzimmer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by zimzimmer » Thu May 12, 2022 1:11 pm

I'm still looking for the right car (30i Auto /35i DCT MSport), and so far I've been focused on those with iDrive. That said, there are a fair few without so I'm contemplating the option of the aftermarket android set up as a potential "compromise".

I like the iDrive for the BMW-specific information it provides, but in the real world, I'd like to gather some thoughts on the pros and cons so I can assess if I should widen my search.
Mercedes GLS350d V6 AMG Line 4Matic Night Edition
Audi A6 Avant Black Edition Bi-TDI 3.0 V6 Bi-Turbo
Incoming...E89

tiglon

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by tiglon » Thu May 12, 2022 1:17 pm

It's a completely personal thing - I was more than happy with no iDrive and no Android, but others wouldn't even contemplate buying a car without.

What do you intend to use the infotainment for?
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

SwissTone

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by SwissTone » Thu May 12, 2022 1:42 pm

It’s a very personal thing and from my point of view there are reasons to go OEM or Android. Almost a bit like Apple vs Android lol

However remember one thing over time you’ll probably end up using either CarPlay or Android auto as these are ultimately more user friendly, common across platform and more updatable with lower costs (if you have the functionality in the first place)…so what I’m trying to say is don’t focus too much on fancy software capabilities of either OEM or Android system.

I don’t have either but I have purchased an OEM idrive system and aftermarket CarPlay box..the more expensive route vs an Android setup. But I want the car to look OEM…alloys are being refurbed as we speak…to the original BMW colour. There’s a theme here, I think it’s because I worked for the OEM in question so prefer how the factory made it look, oh and I’m much older these days too lol

HTH?!?
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

Zed Baron

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Zed Baron » Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm

Ive got iDrive in my car, I was contemplating adding a MMI box to update the functionally of the system, but have concerns over the quality of the products available and their longevity in respects to reliability / updates etc. I know some people have had problems with them and for the amount of time that I actually use the car Im happy with my standard iDrive. I can stream music via bluetooth and the built in hard drive can also store an ample amount of music, the maps are easy to update also. If you have a budget for your new car, try and get as many whistles and bells as you can get (especially in a 35i), some can be retrofitted and some cant (or with a bit of difficulty and a lot of skill).

Marcoose

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Marcoose » Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm

I find the iDrive and infotainment rubbish, and it dates the car. And half the time the sun glare makes it impossible to read the screen. If the 35is had it as option, I would’ve looked for one without it. Though, TBH, it’s not a deal-killer.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

SwissTone

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by SwissTone » Thu May 12, 2022 3:22 pm

Very wise and good points with the above posts..it’s very personal.

In my G20 I never use idrive only CarPlay.

Btw we get less sun in the UK than SanFran :D
E89 20i ish M Sport

Don’t mind me, I just have a lot of senior moments, also known for the odd social hand grenade too.

Cheeky Charlie

AnubisZed

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by AnubisZed » Thu May 12, 2022 3:53 pm

:thumbsup: :rofl:
Some great views there, as has already been said it really is a personal opinion as to what you want/need.
Now I've had every option going, and all in the same car :rofl:
1) Standard non-iDrive - Once I swapped it for a better standard one (with Bluetooth and USB control) it was more usable, but limited.
2) Added the Android screen - major improvement with plenty of options, including CarPlay/Android Auto. With the addition of a dongle plugged into the OBD port you can run various programs like Torque which give you real-time indications of various readouts of what the car is doing etc.
3) OE iDrive - Retrofitted but with the full spec including streaming music. Now in my opinion this is a great system, it may not be to modern standards but this is a 13 year old model now. Mapping is up to date (this is live data to include roadworks/closures etc via the radio's RDS system), most later ones have DAB, bluetooth music (not all of them do though) and calls, vehicle data for servicing and brakes, oil etc, USB and HDD music options, CD/DVD (not that I recommend watching a DVD while driving!!).
4) and then you can add a MMI box to the iDrive (personal current recommendation is the Mr12volt box which connects via the MOST fibre optic network). This gives you Apple CarPlay or Android Auto depending on your phone type. This brings the unit up to date with apps like Apple Music, Spotify, Google Maps etc.

So that's the stage mine is currently at, full iDrive with the Mr12volt MMI added, which I find the best of all worlds.

Just one thing to note, not all iDrive systems are the same, it is down to what the original owner opted for from the factory. I've seen one (iDrive) that don't even come with bluetooth calls! Who the hell would buy a system and not spec that?? :?
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by B21 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:29 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:53 pm :thumbsup: :rofl:
Some great views there, as has already been said it really is a personal opinion as to what you want/need.
Now I've had every option going, and all in the same car :rofl:
1) Standard non-iDrive - Once I swapped it for a better standard one (with Bluetooth and USB control) it was more usable, but limited.
2) Added the Android screen - major improvement with plenty of options, including CarPlay/Android Auto. With the addition of a dongle plugged into the OBD port you can run various programs like Torque which give you real-time indications of various readouts of what the car is doing etc.
3) OE iDrive - Retrofitted but with the full spec including streaming music. Now in my opinion this is a great system, it may not be to modern standards but this is a 13 year old model now. Mapping is up to date (this is live data to include roadworks/closures etc via the radio's RDS system), most later ones have DAB, bluetooth music (not all of them do though) and calls, vehicle data for servicing and brakes, oil etc, USB and HDD music options, CD/DVD (not that I recommend watching a DVD while driving!!).
4) and then you can add a MMI box to the iDrive (personal current recommendation is the Mr12volt box which connects via the MOST fibre optic network). This gives you Apple CarPlay or Android Auto depending on your phone type. This brings the unit up to date with apps like Apple Music, Spotify, Google Maps etc.

So that's the stage mine is currently at, full iDrive with the Mr12volt MMI added, which I find the best of all worlds.

Just one thing to note, not all iDrive systems are the same, it is down to what the original owner opted for from the factory. I've seen one (iDrive) that don't even come with bluetooth calls! Who the hell would buy a system and not spec that?? :?
Not tried Android screens or non idrive cars but echo AnnubisZed’s view on matters..it’s never going to be a G29 cockpit but maybe that’s not a bad thing..some good old fashion analogue dials and switches for the important things and as much tech as you can route via a still capable head unit and sound system.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Zed Baron

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Zed Baron » Thu May 12, 2022 4:35 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:53 pm Just one thing to note, not all iDrive systems are the same, it is down to what the original owner opted for from the factory. I've seen one (iDrive) that don't even come with bluetooth calls! Who the hell would buy a system and not spec that?? :?
The tight 4rse that ordered mine! :x Might need to come and visit you Dave when I come south of the border

Marcoose

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Marcoose » Thu May 12, 2022 5:09 pm

SwissTone wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:22 pmBtw we get less sun in the UK than SanFran :D
Climate change changed that indeed. It used to be foggy and overcast all the time as recent as a decade ago. Now it’s sunny practically everyday. Rain now is once in a blue moon.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

zimzimmer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by zimzimmer » Thu May 12, 2022 5:15 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I prefer the iDrive for the OEM features such as vehicle data, service intervals, warning messages etc. Interesting to know that all iDrive's are not the same, and you're bang-on @AnubisZed, who would spec a system without Bluetooth?! I like the sound of adding the MMI to the iDrive getting the best of both worlds. Depending on what I find I'll update here to discuss the options (i suspect DAB will be required), but then the best option for CarPlay (I'm all-in with Apple).

Mr12Volt is noted (i saw your posts) but I'm not savvy enough to take on the install so would need help locating someone to fit.

I spoke to ICEBOX AUDIO in the Wirral who have both options, full Android 10.5" or simply CarPlay to an existing iDrive. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.iceboxauto.com/iba-bmw-in-c ... =2m!#-!379
Mercedes GLS350d V6 AMG Line 4Matic Night Edition
Audi A6 Avant Black Edition Bi-TDI 3.0 V6 Bi-Turbo
Incoming...E89

tiglon

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by tiglon » Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm

Just a warning, in my experience, the DAB on the e89 is virtually useless.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Dr-Jon

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Dr-Jon » Thu May 12, 2022 5:53 pm

Mine came without bluetooth as well, no idea why you would spec the i drive and not the bluetooth and as it was a pre April 2010 car, the Navigation maps could not be updated via the usb in the glove box.
That was a pain, so i had a man round to recode all my bits and add a com box for bluetooth
All good now. I'm thinking of a MMI box tho to add some extra features.
Would really like that new LCD speedo but i cant justify the cost.
But as previously stated it all personnal choice, i had a 5 series before with the very basic screen and therfore wanted the I Drive option, so hung on untill i found one.
2010 2.3 Auto with paddles in black with koral red leather and Sat Nav, heated seats, and steering wheel. stubby aerial

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by B21 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:50 pm

tiglon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:19 pm Just a warning, in my experience, the DAB on the e89 is virtually useless.
In my part of the world with lots of hills etc I found it’s not quite as good as the F56 Mini or Volvo XC70 DABs but it’s not that bad…you haven’t fitted some LED bulbs have you? Many generate electronic hash bang on the DAB frequencies..

Mine had some cheap ones in the rear lights ..every time I braked the DAB disappeared..changed to higher quality and all is well..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

iDrive v Aftermarket

Post by Nictrix » Thu May 12, 2022 9:25 pm

Marcoose wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:14 pm I find the iDrive and infotainment rubbish, and it dates the car. And half the time the sun glare makes it impossible to read the screen. If the 35is had it as option, I would’ve looked for one without it. Though, TBH, it’s not a deal-killer.
Its funny as different people look at things differently.
I have a friend with a Merc C43 and when he saw the screen in the Z he thought it was brilliant with it folding away compared to his that is just stuck there all the time.
The hard drive is good as it saves all your CDs but the satnav is a bit poor.
Over here Im sure there are 35is models without idrive.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)