Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking for tyre fitters in Ayrshire

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
motomikey

Post by motomikey » Thu May 12, 2022 9:46 am

Hi Folks,

It's time to change the horrible run flats. Does anyone have a recommendation for a garage in or near Ayrshire that would do a reasonable price for four new tyres, and more importantly, take good care of the wheels when fitting and balancing?

I'm a bit anal about my car, and have used garages in the past who have left scratches on the rims from the tyre lever and made a terrible mess removing old weights (prob with a screwdriver). Not to mention hammering weights onto the inside of the rim instead of using the adhesive ones :headbang:

Thanks in advance!
Michael
2015 /// E89 35i /// Estoril Blue with Canberra Beige Kansas Leather

motomikey

Post by motomikey » Thu May 12, 2022 10:53 am

Quick Update:

(To save anyone the trouble of responding)

I've booked a mobile service (Lewis Irwin Tyres) to come and fit 4 x Michelin Pilot Sport 5's which I ordered through BlackCircles for around 580 quid fitted (this didn't seem too bad)

I'll post a review/update on my experience with this company in case someone else in Ayrshire is on the lookout for such a service.

Thanks, Michael

SonnyA85

Post by SonnyA85 » Mon May 16, 2022 4:32 pm

Black circles have their own drive thru facility at silverburn (near Glasgow)

Probably better than a mobile fitter. How is he going to balance the wheels?

motomikey

Post by motomikey » Sat May 21, 2022 8:32 am

SonnyA85 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:32 pm Black circles have their own drive thru facility at silverburn (near Glasgow)

Probably better than a mobile fitter. How is he going to balance the wheels?
Thanks, that’s good to know. The mobile fitter was the perfect option for me though. While the car was in my own drive I was able to take the wheels off one at a time to remove the old wheel weights/adhesive and give them a good clean ready for the new tyres.

For the record the Lewis Irwin Tyres van was kitted out with all the right kit for the job, which all looked brand new and high quality. The two guys that arrived were very friendly and professional. The only slight annoyance I have is that there is a serious amount of weights on one of the wheels, so the tyre must’ve been well out of balance, would’ve been interesting to see if rotating the tyre 180 degrees on the rim made a difference. There was no yellow dot on the tyre to indicate the best balance point for the valve position.